Anyone know what this is ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I found this near my house.
Just wondering if anyone knows what it is?
Here's a couple photos it's magnet an very heavy an solid.
I have cut it in half from a bigger piece an sanded it down an found weird join lines in it

Slag, meteorite not bloody sure I ain't :D
I put it in vinegar as it has acid I. It which would take all the other stuff off it an that colour disorientation is from that btw

1516364520_img_0664.jpg

1516364521_img_0665.jpg

That's What it was made for.... Identification of Rocks, Minerals and 'the Unknown' .... :cool: And a few Geos will pop in from time to time to help out... O:)

LW....

Lol yeah.
Nah lone wolf not mars wish I did.
An yeah I don't know but they keep popping out to e when I go for searches an I just take them home an ask cause I ain't got a clue what they are ahah

It looks to have a texture similar to an iron-nickel meteorite.
I found a couple of small ones, characteristic physical features of an iron-nickel meteorite are a metric lustre, high density, an almost melted look on one side normally away from a central point , smooth to pitted on the other.
Mine has triangular hopper cavities one side, melted look on the other. I found two side by side. Not knowing what they were at the time I hammered one until it broke in two, it had a very metallic crystalline appearance.
I kept one half on that one, tossed the other half and lost the other one before I found out what they were.
the finger print looking texture is similar to Iron-nickel meteorite.
hope this helps

1516446539_img_0674.jpg

Hi keen keen.
Do u have any photos of your one ?
An also here's some mire photos if u could tell me more of that Type of one

This rock does not have any characteristics of a meteorite. It is definitely not a nickel-iron meteorite.

It looks more like magnetite or hematite. It is a terrestrial rock. Sorry the news isn't more interesting.

I do have some pictures
1st is of the melted looking (inbound) side.
1516542474_img_1133.jpg
second is the triangular "hopper" etching (trailing side)
1516542568_img_1130.jpg

Last image is of the fractured surface.
1516542614_img_1134.jpg

Latest posts