new and confused

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, im using the gpx 4500 with a mono coil.
I need a little help. i went prospecting today in area not far from the golden triangle in Victoria. I notice the ground there was very hard with alot of big white rocks, and red rocks mixed with them. Every now and then i would get a slight target... very light. So i dug it up about 15cm, and then it wouldn't get any louder, sometimes it will not make any noise... other times it would. I be alive its the ground doing it. Happen a few times today, and i dug unnecessary holes. HELP?:)

Anolphart said:
Hi Strykah, make sure that you ground balance correctly, and frequently, if you're in fixed mode.
Do i do that by putting it into traccking, then fixed?

There is a group off PA members going away next weekend it would be a good opportunity to meet some other members and they would be able to put you on the right path regards john :Y:

If you ground balance correctly, and continue to do so, the factory pre set will be adequate to get you locating targets. (difficult ground, enhance is your friend)
However, and this could never be stressed enough, is to keep the front (nose) of your coil brushing the ground as you progress.
"Slow and Low" is not just a catch cry, but the most important part of successful detecting.
Work at it, rewards will come. :)
Mike

I have experienced finding small clusters of mineralized ground, once disturbed and spread out after digging. The seperation of concentration of the cluster will no longer be enough to set of a signal.

Its just ground noise it takes a while but signal wont be sharp it will be wide best is dig a little if it doesn't get louder ground balance on the dirt you have taken out and then rescan hole if its gone or softer its just hot ground another give away if the ground is rust coloured as well

All good advise :Y:

The other fact is somedays your detector will be a dic

Falsing on tree roots , wind gusts , areoplanes , hot direct sun , your mobile phone , red clay or even lityle green plants .

Your going in the right direction, ask questions , learn and enjoy . I definently save the more unstable areas of ground for after dark or day break.

Latest posts