Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
Dirtdiggin. Prices initially were expected to be $649 and $899 for the 600 and 800 respectively (US $). Converts to $1124 for the 800 which would be pretty awesome value. For some reason I thought they were going to be closer to $1500 here but I'm not sure where I saw that or if someone was guessing??

I know I always link to this particular website but the posts from Steve Hersbach on here are probably the best indication of what this thing can and can't do. Steve is an impartial tester and simply tells it how it is. And he tells us he's excited which is getting lots of others excited too :D

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/forum/53-minelab-equinox-fan-club/

I hope it is about $1100 here - I might not have to do so much convincing and grovelling :lol:

Hi Northeast

So do you think youll sell your gm1000 and just have your Z and the Equinox?
Sounds like a pretty good combination if it does what there hoping itll do!.
Im just very interested to see how it goes getting them tiny nuggets like the gm dose! I was hoping there mightve been some testers out there nugget shooting with it showing its all round ability.

Howdy Hoggy. JP has shown a few tiny nuggets on the DP website so it is obviously working OK up his way.

I'm very 50/50 about whether I'll get one or not. I bought the Monster for the really trashy areas and although it has worked OK the discrimination hasn't been as good as I hoped. In saying that I know that I was expecting more from the GM than it could provide. It has been a good, simple, light, basic VLF and it has found me gold - as you know.

It sounds like the Equinox is going to be much better at discrimination than the GM and the MF is very appealing. And maybe I would do a bit more on the side of looking for coins, helping a few friends that I know have lost gold chains/rings without having to tear apart their lawn digging every signal, etc - but how much would I use it?? I'm not sure.

And would I sell the GM? I'm not sure about that either. Cutting a short broom stick and using it in mines, giving it to a friend to use, the kids to use, etc,- it is easy and versatile.

By the sounds of it those who aren't already pre-ordered are going to be waiting until maybe late Feb or mid March anyway so I've got a bit more time to think and see a few reviews once they hit the hands of a few people.

The National Go Minelabbing day is February 10

Some dealers that run an actual day of it ( Marquis down the park or somewhere suitable ) have an Equinox for show & tell .

I have seen an ad by one dealer advertising the day .

Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Not sure what you mean as in "important requirement"? I'd say having the addition of multiple frequencies, plus having more single frequencies than the Impact (plus higher 40kHz frequency), and waterproofing would make it a more versatile detector. That's on paper, we'll have to wait to see how it performs in the real world before making judgements on performance, ergonomics, weight etc.

No mate I can tell straight off that it is going to have limited use, just have another look at it and what do you see of not see.

Umm, so you can't tell me the design faults, you've already predicted how many are gong to sell, and are asking me to look for something that isn't there. Just cut to the chase John rather than trolling for a response.

It's not a case of trolling for a response, and if you realized and paid attention and compared it's design compared to the Impact, the CTX, GPX, GPZ the V3i to name a few you will see that there is absolutely no weight at the rear of the shaft under the arm cup, So how do you think that is going to feel at the end of a days detecting using larger coils, They have already made a 13x15" coil for it but without any counter weight under the arm cup I doubt very much if people will be able to use the larger coils.

How tough is it going to be to simply add your own counter weight?

BetPlacer said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Guess Ebay beat Australia to it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINELAB...682232?hash=item3d4e3ddd38:g:wHYAAOSwxKBaAcUS

Release should be next month anyway so not too long to wait. At least the new pin pointers are out already.

Not sure about that. I eBay professionally, and the largest area where people get ripped off is the "pre-order", which this likely is, even though it's coming off as an "on-hand".

Yeah that is probably right and still no release date from Minelab yet.

BetPlacer said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINELAB...682232?hash=item3d4e3ddd38:g:wHYAAOSwxKBaAcUS

Release should be next month anyway so not too long to wait. At least the new pin pointers are out already.

Not sure about that. I eBay professionally, and the largest area where people get ripped off is the "pre-order", which this likely is, even though it's coming off as an "on-hand".

"on-hand"? Are they claiming they have Equinox detectors in stock?

ignas said:
BetPlacer said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

"on-hand"? Are they claiming they have Equinox detectors in stock?

No. Per the language barrier, apparently the big word in the title VORBESTELLUNG, means "Pre-Order". If that word doesn't scare you (AS IT SHOULD), they are asking about $250 USD over the projected retail price of $899.

My latest response from Minelab.

"Our engineering team are currently in the final stages and the Equinox will be released soon but we wont be given any dates of release until the engineers are 100% happy that the Equinox has no issues at all with it.

We thank you for your patience."

Make from that what you will.

Oh...I was told they were fine tuning the ID numbers and calibrating it. But anything is possible I guess.

I am still expecting late Feb/March but we will see.

The eBay user could prob be misleading and not really have one on stock. But then again, I can not confirm this, just a guess.

Missing the release date like they have some folks are heading towards Nokta which is understandable because they have sold their old machines because of all the hype and can't go detecting.

If it is anything like the GM it will be a keeper, It's great to see ML expanding the VLF market, they seemed to go off the boil for a while and in just over a year or so they have bought out the Zed and the GM and now the EQ that's got to good for the hobby.

HoudiniHarry said:
It just seems to be the standard Minelab release. Evidenced by the monster release, GPZ and all the other devices released. Minelab have a marketing team snd know the market and how to create hype. We are part of thar hype.

Lets hope so. Got my eye on either this, the 3030, or an E-Trac. The 800 was winning the race until that last message to hAyyoUinAU.

hAyyoUinAU said:
My latest response from Minelab.

"Our engineering team are currently in the final stages and the Equinox will be released soon but we wont be given any dates of release until the engineers are 100% happy that the Equinox has no issues at all with it.

We thank you for your patience."

Make from that what you will.

Probably just a marketing stall. I hope it isn't for anything too technical, and if it is, lets hope its an upgrade and not a downgrade. I know sometimes companies pre-release a product that is TOO GOOD, and they need to downgrade it so it won't put their other product lines out of business. :)

Latest posts