Test Patch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all we went out to Inglewood yesterday my stepson found a test patch that had been set up by someone, anyone can go and try there machines and coils out and as I have just got myself a 14" elite thought it would be well worth trying it out on this patch , looks like its been here for a while so the ground has hardened around the targets giving you a near normal target base instead of louse dirt on top

1485038490_030.jpg
1485038516_029.jpg

I dont know who did the Patch but would like to thank him, I would recommend any new or old swingers if you are in the area go and try it out great place to play with your settings or just hear what targets sound like at depth . OK so it is at Inglewood coming from Bendigo go through the town behind the caravan park is Sullivan St head north away from the town to the entrance for the Harness track just up from this Turn left into the bush ,go about 50 meters cant miss it .

Test patch was done by a local Ian Leech about 7 years ago give or take. How did your elite go on it.

Hi G.B ya was good the elite got all the targets easy even the 10oz I lifted the coil about 4"above the ground and still would have dug it so ya very pleased with the elite .

So as expected with the GPZ normal setting just blew all the targets out of the ground, HY, Difficult, Deep.

General Difficult 12 picked up all the targets..... Just.

Extra deep was pretty useless.... Should be renamed to "extra quiet"

High yield on 12-16 got everything up to 12"
I'm guessing the targets are solid.... Not prickly

I was pretty impressed with General at 12.. It just picked up the deepest target and gave it slight drop in the Threshold followed by a bit of a warbling tail end sweeping back up.
Very soft but very distinctive.

So I learnt some stuff today.
Thanks for putting me on to that patch Pirate.

Thanks Pirate,
Just found this thread, a mate of mine asked if I had been there yet and recommended I do so as he learnt a lot. Last time I was in the area I couldn't find it so with your directions I will be heading there next time I am up that way.
Cheers Jamie.

I've been there a couple of times now....... I would have said its been there longer than that G.B. but not sure. The soil has packed down to normal undug condition & gives a very good indication of what your detector is capable of.
I tested my 4500 with the 14" elite & easily picked all targets. The SDC was good on shallow targets but fell way with depth.
A very interesting way to kill an hour or two.
Rob.

Glad the thread was of use to you all ,I think its good to go and try things with you units on targets as near to untouched ground as possible thanks for the reply's .PP

We set one up here using a variety of metals, sizes and depths but lost our notes. I've been tempted to dig it all up again and redo it because without knowing what's down there it doesn't serve much purpose. The onsite sign is a great idea.

I went out and found the test patch, tried some settings. Well worth the trip and left before the mercury hit 30 C.
Congratulations to Ian Leech, for the work he put in developing the test patch.
The Zed performed well, Normal soil, HY was a little better on the small targets. As an all round setting I found Normal, General gold, Sensitivity of 10-17. I think detecting amongst hot soil and rocks sensitivity would be best around 10-12. Unfortunately Difficult soil did not go well on targets further down than 12".
Cheers

well that surprised me thought a Z would have hit all of them no problem considering the deep targets a big 1/2 oz and above , as i said i run a 4500 and 14in elite and had no trouble with any of the targets ,go figure .PP

The Zed performed well, Normal soil, HY was a little better on the small targets. As an all round setting I found Normal, General gold, Sensitivity of 10-17. I think detecting amongst hot soil and rocks sensitivity would be best around 10-12.

I should have added that on the above settings the Z found all targets.

It was on the difficult ground setting that it did not pick up the deeper targets.

Cheers

Highway1 - I was hoping you'd come back and add a bit more info.

Difficult ground mode does seem to cut out a lot of targets - but often normal ground mode is just too noisy.

I was wondering if you tried Difficult/General together on those deeper pieces that Difficult/High Yield could not hear?

I have found several deeper, larger targets in Difficult/General that did not make a sound with Difficult/High Yield. Jonathon Porter has said that he has found the Diificult/General combo to be better on those larger, deeper bits and going by the Z manual the General gold mode is really designed for those pieces 5-50 grams rather than the 0.1 - 5 gram pieces which High Yield targets.

If you are ever out that way again it'd be great to hear if Difficult/General gets the goods.

Cheers :Y:

Hi,
Northeast, while using the Z on the test patch, if I thought it was not a definite target and would not gave dug the target while walking through the bush getting all types of noises fron hot rocks and patches of mineralisation I crossed it off as a no signal.
Where I have detected lately I can dig into a "difficult ground" setting signal that is a "maybe" and find a patch of small very high mineralised rocks.
So while in the test patch I was looking for a definite type of signal, not a maybe.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Latest posts