❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As noted under "Series on identifying minerals", this "Your mineral identification questions" is somewhere that people know where to come (such as myself, other geos and those with experience in identification), to find what people want to know - rather than having these questions spread all over different sections of the forum and often unseen. Hopefully once the ball is rolling these might take on a life of their own, since I don't have time to do more than try to start this and look in occassionally - let's see if it works,,,,

I should have made it "Your mineral identification questions answered" - otherwise I thonk a lot of people will not realise what it is

Hi every body can anyone identify this for me I have people saying slag but it's weird for slags specially those lines inside of it an it's magnetic as well

An it weighs dry 725.0
An 380.5 wet
Ahah
1516434456_img_0664.jpg

1516434457_img_0665.jpg

An there's this one as well they saying black obsidian I did a gravity test it's 3.106382978723404 after it's been divided for the site but it won't work for me sorry guys an girls

1516434902_img_0669.jpg

1516434902_img_0671.jpg

LoneWolf said:
Quartz I think Shaza... Topaz feels 'cool' if you put it on your lips compared to Quartz...... :) Thank-you for posting in the Correct area.... :Y:

LW....
Thanks LW,
I took your advice but kinda hard to get correct temp when its 45c out here but surprisingly I took a few from my pile and they where still pretty cool to the touch on my lips even felt smidge icey in this stincker of a day lol
1517111939_7cbf5fad-a58f-47ef-880c-94f852bb0d84.jpg

1517113648_interesting.jpg

Found this whilst prospecting for gold. The GPZ liked it, and so did the makro obviously (it likes a lot).
It weighed over 5 kilos and I brought it back and broke it down. I haven't crushed it yet, but will do one piece tonight.
What got me interested is besides the silvery minerals visible, is that the pinpointers both go off on it.

Has anyone come across anything similar looking?

Looks to be pyrite crystals in there too hayyou. Will be interested to see what Goldirocks thinks and see what's in it after crushing, such as native metals?

I'm thinking maybe some sort of silver ore but hey what would I know.... :)

Might have to wait for some cooler temps Shaza... :rolleyes: if ever that happens...

Very interesting hayyou... Keen to know your crush results... 8) Tin or Silver is my guess too... and a vein of Pyrite?

LW....

Just crushed some and panned it out. Could only see heavy pyrites.

So maybe its just highly mineralised and sets the pin pointers off. Not sure.

I will test it out with Minelabs latest pin pointer and see if it grunts or not. That will be interesting.

LoneWolf said:
Might have to wait for some cooler temps Shaza... :rolleyes: if ever that happens...

Very interesting hayyou... Keen to know your crush results... 8) Tin or Silver is my guess too... and a vein of Pyrite?

LW....

I haven't had experience panning silver or tin..lol. I know that whatever it is, it is not malleable. It crushed with pressure.

This is at 50x

1517115933_win_20180128_14_50_11_pro.jpg

I can still see quartz through that piece at 500x. lol

Looks like it. The sharp edges seem to tell me its just pyrite. But pyrite has a lot of friends that like to hang out, I couldn't see anything.
Maybe someone else can see something.

Latest posts