Action Thread about HighBanking in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a bloke at Oallen not that long ago and his banker was over 100 metres from the waters edge now given the extremely porous sand and gravel there the water from his banker was not even flowing 6 feet before it all disappeared in the sand. Not one drop of the water he was pumping made it back to the river so there was no turbidity, the water was slowly filtered back into the river and no one would have known any different.

7.62marksman said:
Or you run a sluice putting buckets or dirt through you will get a lot more then from a HB any day
Just cant see the logic it it all
Exactly Marksman,this is what I can't understand,just goes to show that these pr@$ks who made these decisions have no idea what we are doing or how a highbanker works.Let alone the turbidity that a flood after heavy rains produces,the fish and the frogs seem to survive that.The adding of "no turbidity " seems to me to be just another excuse to stop us from doing what we love.

Eldorado said:
7.62marksman said:
Or you run a sluice putting buckets or dirt through you will get a lot more then from a HB any day
Just cant see the logic it it all
Exactly Marksman,this is what I can't understand,just goes to show that these pr@$ks who made these decisions have no idea what we are doing or how a highbanker works.Let alone the turbidity that a flood after heavy rains produces,the fish and the frogs seem to survive that.The adding of "no turbidity " seems to me to be just another excuse to stop us from doing what we love.

Its 100% pure beauracratic insanity.

City folk with no brains or knowledge who have never been in the bush brought these laws in probably because they couldnt find anything else to do with their day and wanted something for a claim to fame.

Banning pumps ?

What next ?

Will they ban steering wheels on cars because they have a proven connection at the scene of car accidents ?

I have previously mentioned on this forum about the amount of dredging the Turon a mate and I did in the 1970's.
Used a Keene 4" floating dredge, but often had it bank located when we were dredging out a rock crevice running back into river banks.

Naturally there was quite a degree of turbidity and we were initially amazed what that brought up to the outflow of the dredge.
Big trout flashing in and out of the discoloured water, once a cod, nearly 3ft. long which just lazed on the edge of the outflow for a couple of hours and the occasional platypus.
We never bothered to try and net any, they were obviously getting a supply of grubs/worms/whatever to attract them there.

Maybe the banning of the motor driven pump will see the re emergence of the old style "banjo" which will still create water turbidity.
Ion Idriess, in his 1930's book "Prospecting for Gold", shows some interesting methods of hand sluicing river and creek banks.
Mike

You are exactly 100 % correct. :)

This is the catch phrase if you wish.
And that is what is being used to ban our Highbanking.
Whisp up there also outlines on how a high Banker is supposed to be used.
That is why they are called a "High-Banker." :D
The regulation was actually written for large mining companies and has been construed
to include Fossicking.
Turbidity was the main term used to ban dredging.
And it won by one vote only.

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
the new word introduced into the negotiations on the activity of fossicking which also lacks definitions for interpretation is "no turbidity " , so on one hand we have new fossicking area being declared, but on the other hand another government dept pushing
'no turbidity' if you paddle in the natural waterway and the silt is stirred up then thats turbidity stupid aint it

What can i say , im lost for words after reading the latest NAPFA document. We have illegal- firearms , fireworks , asbestos dumpers , ice/crack epidemic , mobile phones in cars , unfenced pools , polluted Sydney harbour with inedible fish to name a few and these non elected f#@king Hitler wanna be's biggest claim to fame is banning something that is not hurting or affecting a single life whether it be human or animal.
Filthy leeching pricks we are paying your wages !!!

GaryO said:
What can i say , im lost for words after reading the latest NAPFA document. We have illegal- firearms , fireworks , asbestos dumpers , ice/crack epidemic , mobile phones in cars , unfenced pools , polluted Sydney harbour with inedible fish to name a few and these non elected f#@king Hitler wanna be's biggest claim to fame is banning something that is not hurting or affecting a single life whether it be human or animal.

Because we are a soft and compliant target and that makes them look good because they have a achieved something, look at all the bills and laws we passed this year, aren't we good.

Whisp said:
GaryO said:

Because we are a soft and compliant target and that makes them look good because they have a achieved something, look at all the bills and laws we passed this year, aren't we good.

Bout time we stop being compliant!! :mad:
Sick of looking at a grands worth of gear sitting in my shed doing didly squat...
Not to mention a vehicle and camper worth 50k to friggin get me there

GaryO said:
Whisp said:
GaryO said:

Bout time we stop being compliant!! :mad:
Sick of looking at a grands worth of gear sitting in my shed doing didly squat...
Not to mention a vehicle and camper worth 50k to friggin get me there

when govt banned automatic firearms they compensated gun owners for what they surrended.

Govt wants to ban our hobby but there is no mention of compensation....

Do we really deserve a system where incompetent clusterf*** stuff up half of what they do ?

Disclaimer : I am open to the possibility that an intelligent self aware politician somewhere will look at this mess and reverse it for the grand stuff up that it is....... they will get a pat on the back and a sincere polite thankyou from me.

8)

HeadsUp said:
Disclaimer : I am open to the possibility that an intelligent self aware politician somewhere will look at this mess and reverse it for the grand stuff up that it is....... they will get a pat on the back and a sincere polite thankyou from me.

8)

That is not going to happen as these days all pollies know which side their bread is buttered on and will always vote 'along party lines' and not according to their own moral compass if they happen to possess one.

Whisp said:
HeadsUp said:

8)

That is not going to happen as these days all pollies know which side their bread is buttered on and will always vote 'along party lines' and not according to their own moral compass if they happen to possess one.

NAPFA needs your support to continue the fight.

Spot on Bazza. :)
We at NAPFA have been approaching this issue the right way using proper decorum.
That is why we could not say anything about what we were doing and asking every body
to have some patience.
Now we have proven where they have gone wrong, We now are going to have a face to
face talk with the minister armed with the knowledge we have.
There is a lot of back pedaling going on now with the Departments involved.
It is bloody hard having a heap of expensive gear lying idle I know.
We will let you all know as soon as we have a result.
It has taken a lot of very dedicated work to come this far and we will soon have an answer.

We thank you for your continued efforts Doug . We all appreciate it, Im sure I speak for all on the forum , plus more .
If it ever gets overturned , well have a massive meet up somewhere !

Regards

Gunter

And the email system is being updated over the next week.
The last email I sent was a bit of a mess.
Early days yet I assure you. :) :)

Sooo... apart from be patient, early days yet kinda comments, what actu head ways been made in the last 6 months.?
Do I sell my banker yet.?

NAPFA cant do much while the powers to be are on holidays. Tathradj has given us an insight in post 178 in regards to this matter. :Y:

what was proven where they went wrong ? In reality its their opinion versus ours that prospecting with a pump, ie, hi banking is wrong. What did we prove they got wrong ? What minister is getting spoken to.? Who is speaking to him.? When are they speaking to him, and what 'knowledge' is going to be shown that we have and discussed ?
Who and where has anyone back pedaled in reguards to the legislation ?

Keitzy said:
what was proven where they went wrong ? In reality its their opinion versus ours that prospecting with a pump, ie, hi banking is wrong. What did we prove they got wrong ? What minister is getting spoken to.? Who is speaking to him.? When are they speaking to him, and what 'knowledge' is going to be shown that we have and discussed ?
Who and where has anyone back pedaled in reguards to the legislation ?

I'm pretty sure Keitzy all your answers will be answered after the NAPFA representatives have had their discussion with the relevant minister/s /bureaucrats. That's how I read the request for patience. Dealing with the bureaucratic process takes a heap of time which is volunteered by the elected committee. I've seen 1st hand the amount of effort put in by these people (from a PMAV perspective which is no different to NAPFA or other lobby groups) and be assured they go above and beyond what general members do with regard to the challenges faced by professional and hobbyists alike. If NAPFA have meetings to bring members upto speed I recommend you go along. This way you'll hear the latest news and get to speak to your representatives face to face and meet some great people as a bonus.