Looking Over My Shoulder

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carefully follow your same footsteps out... Some of these 'Farmers' use railway detonators around their crops... Poisonous spikes buried around or tie trees back with spikes on them.... There was a fellow around Coffs Harbour way that has only 1/2 a foot left after an Outing in the Bush.... :rolleyes: :lol:

LW....

LoneWolf said:
Carefully follow your same footsteps out... Some of these 'Farmers' use railway detonators around their crops... Poisonous spikes buried around or tie trees back with spikes on them.... There was a fellow around Coffs Harbour way that has only 1/2 a foot left after an Outing in the Bush.... :rolleyes: :lol:

LW....
Geez. That something to watch out for. Never entered my mind I might stumble upon something like that out bush.

They are only some of the Booby traps they use.... The 'Plantation Unit' (NSW Cops) have to spend several months a year 'training' with the SAS to identify these traps...

LW.....

Used to find quite a few back in the dirt bike days. Just keep going an pretend we seen nothing.

LoneWolf said:

LW....

Some good alluvial gold up Coffs way too, so damn you would want to be careful traipsing around the creeks up there.

Absolutely, have seen some very nasty punji stake traps with dead roo's in them, or old bear/man gin traps that would take your foot clean off even zip gun traps guarding crops in Tamban State Forest. I used to hunt deer in there and I encountered some well-guarded crops by accident sometimes only by the stench of a dead roo in a pit or a pig dog barking in the middle of nowhere, knew to steer well clear and say nothing. Backpacking in Southern China I saw fields of the stuff as far as the eye could see...guarded by the military....a mate had a crazy idea of wanting to trek to Tibet up through the Yunnan Province, but it was too dangerous in the end.

When I was young I did some work with the NSW Forestry Commision (was still the Commision then) and we discovered some rather large plantations in some of the Mid Nth Coast forests. They used to use stereoscopic imagery long before google earth/six maps quality digital images! and sometimes you would stumble across crops when studying them. Back then I don't even know if the police used thermographic cameras to hunt the stuff down in their choppers, so the folks planting the stuff would clear-cut some pretty large areas and just grow it as thick as possible in the space. These days they know plenty of tricks to throw off thermal imagery, simply even pine trees or corn/maize can mask the "other" crop because they give off similar heat signatures lol

We were doing a bushex in the Budawang area and came across two blokes all in camo gear carrying green painted gardening implements along with green watering cans and green garden hose, they had obviously been tending their "garden". It was duly reported to the authorities and quite some time later the two blokes along with several other enterprising types were all busted and put away for a stint at HM's motel.

Flowerpot said:
Geez SW some damn close calls there. 8.(
Where can I buy some jelly, fire crackers aren't going to cut it !

Sadly jelly is no longer available in Australia :( , it has been replaced by other forms of more short term stable gelatinous explosives. But that is not to say that an enterprising amateur chemist could not cook up something similar :Y: :) . Any of the aluminium flash powders could be modified to go bang in a big way.

I haven't been that far into the bush to inadvertantly stumble across a plantation, pretty much stay close 'ish to the beaten track. Sure as heck don't want to come across folks running those ops, that's for sure.

A while ago I went out tecting by myself, not far from home, to some old diggings along a shallow water course. As far as I could tell there was no one around at all.
I just use an external speaker and I kept having to stop because I kept thinking I could hear someone using a large pick on rock, every time I stopped, that sound stopped too. I'd look around a bit, start tecting again and then after a few moments I'd hear it again and stop to listen, nothing, then I started thinking I could hear voices too. Being a sheila with an over active imagination, I just spooked the hell out of myself so I packed up and went home. I thought Ghosts maybe? ooooooohhhheeeeeeeeeee. lol. I go back to the same place with hubby and it's completely different, not scary at all, lol.

Shhhh AussieChris, Don't tell everyone about the amount of Gold you can find in the Hills of Coffs..... Some very large Nuggets have been found too... :)

LW...

Whisp said:
Flowerpot said:
Geez SW some damn close calls there. 8.(
Where can I buy some jelly, fire crackers aren't going to cut it !

Sadly jelly is no longer available in Australia :( , it has been replaced by other forms of more short term stable gelatinous explosives. But that is not to say that an enterprising amateur chemist could not cook up something similar :Y: :) . Any of the aluminium flash powders could be modified to go bang in a big way.

Growing up I remember Dad had a few boxes of Gelignite? and some Dynamite he kept up in an unused pig pen on the farm. I don't even know where it came from really, maybe it was just left on the property when we bought it. The det's were always locked up safe though. Gelly itself is pretty stable until it starts turning brown rather than more of a viscous olive oil consistency and it needs to be detonated rather than just ignited. They say Gelignite does not sweat, so maybe they were actually sticks of Blasting Gelatin because I know for sure nitroglycerin or nitroglycol would ooze from some of it and form crystals, I used to collect it for mischief.

Gelignite is sometimes called Blasting Gelatin, however Blasting Gelatin is either Nitroglycerin or Nitroglycol (92-94%) that is saturated with Guncotton with a weight strength of 100%. Very powerful.

Gelignite hovers around 65% weight strength with added Guncotton, Woodpulp, Potassium Nitrate.

I was always very curious that's for sure! I remember every now and then we would have the delight of clearing out some stumps or pesky granite outcrops if he decided to rip a new paddock for cropping.

When we sold the place a couple of gay guys from the city bought the property and had zero intention of cropping or grazing. So I remember Dad sold all the machinery etc and we emptied the sheds. We remembered the boxes of explosives so decided to detonate it all in one almighty explosion worthy of Mythbusters lol. I only wish we had smartphones back then to record the carnage!

I would not do it again in this day and age we live in and the penalties imposed for explosive shenanigans but I made Thermite one time.....and yes it was amazing :p and no I will not disclose how, what, when or why!!

Geez AussieChris that's some interesting info, this whole thread has been interesting and helpful. Lots of the good, bad and ugly.
All good to know, thanks everyone, I will always exercise caution and have fun too...

madtuna said:
The only thing in the Aust bush out to harm you is another white man

Wow that is a bit of a rough call, sounds like SJW propaganda most people are good at heart mate no matter what colour their skin is. Just gotta be wary of the odd nutter out there and be cautious, but no more than in everyday life.

There are plenty of things the bush can throw at you though, we have seen how easy it is in recent times folks getting lost and ending up bug food only a few 100m from their camps/vehicles, mostly from dehydration and exposure. Some people even just get lost give up and die even when they have provisions on them still. Plenty of wriggle sticks, bad mobile or even radio coverage, sheer distance between civilization. I remember the young fella that died near Katoomba when he got separated from his friends, he called 000 six times to only have the operator ask him repeatedly for his nearest street. You need to just be fully prepared and respect the bush, PLB's have come down in price, and you can even borrow them or hire for a small fee from many places.

Not a rough call at all.
The only thing in the Aust bush OUT to harm you is another white man.

In other words, intent on harming you. Nothing to do with getting lost etc, usually that's of your own doing.

I've been belted about in the bush or had extremely close calls a number of times by scrub cattle, camels, horses, snakes etc.. but the only thing every purposely intent on harming me was another white man.

Maybe I should have said human instead of white man, but the fact is I've only ever had run ins white white men and where I live probably 90 out of 100 are non white.

MT I don't think you would get any argument from anyone that has lived or worked in outback Australia. Sure there are nutters everywhere but when in remote locations HELP or any assistance is a long way away.
I nearly cut a guys arm off when he tried to take the keys from my ignition and ran clean over another that was in front of the vehicle one dark night many decades ago about 100 mile North of Coober Pedy. ( It was miles back then not K's) I'm not a big tough guy, but the intent that the half dozen guys that surrounded my vehicle that night had in store for either my lady friend or myself, was far from what one would describe as "good hearted". The action I took was simply what was required to control what was taking place and I used what I had available to me to do so. As for the severed arm ? Trust me a bit of extra strength fueled by adrenalin along with a knife that had spent many morning smokos on an oil stone whilst working as a ring barker will do that :rolleyes:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah if only the world was perfect how simple and safe life would be hey ? But for me the rose coloured glasses got put away many years ago :)

Very gutsy Bogger, well done protecting your lady friend and yourself and your car. What an awful situation to be in.
Hope it's all been relatively smooth sailing since then. :Y:

Latest posts