Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manpa said:
Whisp said:
pete165 said:
Here's another one for the history buffs. Can you name the only two survivors from the wreck of the Loch Ard and where they were from ?

Yes I can.

A steward and a passenger, Was it Pearce and Carmichael?

Is the answer to the question SS Blackbird?

No the answer is in this thread since I posed the question ;)

Manpa said:
Whisp said:
pete165 said:
Here's another one for the history buffs. Can you name the only two survivors from the wreck of the Loch Ard and where they were from ?

Yes I can.

A steward and a passenger, Was it Pearce and Carmichael?

Yes that is correct. Tom Pearce ships carpenter and Eva Carmichael passenger.

The peacock is not lost, it is on display in the Warrnambool maritime museum whereas the ship was lost forever. That's why I went for the ship.

This is a somewhat ambiguous question as under Ideal conditions a team could do 3.5 miles an hour but at the other end of the scale that could come back to only 1 mile per hour.

Cobb n Co used horses, generally transporting people, could travel between 4 and 8 miles an hour dependant on terrain, swapping horse teams over between 15 and 20 mile to keep teams fresh.

Many Australian country towns owe their origin to the bullock teams, having grown from a store or shanty where teams rested or crossed a stream. These shanties were spaced at about 12-mile (20 km) intervals, which was the usual distance for a team to travel in a day

Bit of interest if you looking for relics detecting as you can work out roughly the next camp
Cobb and co had multiple stations with stables, but the normal man or woman in the goldfields usually didn't ride the horse it had the equipment on it so it to was around the 12 mile mark in a day as well with the owner walking it

Someone else can ask the next question, this topic has come a long way since I started it in 2013 with over 1 million views well done to all that have contributed this is indeed a great forum with the friendliest members in Australia

Latest posts