Not sure what this is

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found some of this yesterday, if anyone knows what it is or wants to have a guess feel free- I don't really know.
1515960939_p1151012.jpg

Photos are not quite clear enough but likely candidates are schorl (a type of tourmaline) or hornblende (a type of amphibole). If schorl the individual crystals will sometimes show a triangular cross-section (three sides), if hornblende more a diamond shape (four sides). The angle between adjacent faces, measured at right angles to the crystal length will be close to 60 degrees for schorl - and 124 and 56 degrees for hornblende depending on the faces measured

Thanks goldierocks :Y: I'm pretty sure it's not schorl as there is lots nearby, however not much within about a km from where I found this. This is not like the schorl, it's different. Hornblende I have heard of but don't know what it is, I'll check it out. Cheers.

Did some research on hornblende and looked at some photos, it does look pretty much like it. Surprising since I never knew it could be found here, and I haven't come across it before. Just never know what you might find sometimes. This was after detecting all day and walking back to the car, 50m from the car at the end of the day.

Latest posts