New Permission Old Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to gain permission onto an old property (still working) much closer to Canberra. It was part of one of the original squatters' runs in the general area and dates to about the 1830s. There are three areas of interest to me (so far). One was a site where a tiny school, PO and shop, and dwelling used to be. I also came across another dwelling site likely to have belonged to a rabbitter so I'm told. Another is possibly a picnic races site and the third area is the original homestead site (now a ruin). The current owner (and employees) was surprised when I told him/them about the possible picnic race course area.

I've quickly detected 2 of the sites for a scout to see what was around and believe I'm not the first (sigh). I'll try to get onto the 3rd site (original homestead site) on the next visit.

On my first visit (school site) a mate who is thinking about taking up the coin/relic side of things came along too. It was pretty hot. The oldest find was a 1920 1/2d that was sunbaking. The other finds included 2 roo pennies (1950 and 1951), AMF button, ear tag for possibly a ram, 1945 Victory medal for school kids, a bangle, harmonica (Claravox brand) cover plate and a NSW Gould of Bird Lovers Badge (1945). Oh, I also found some BBs.

On my second visit I hoped to find the picnic race course - no such luck but it has to be there given the topology. The day started off well with me avoiding the 2 big browns I had been warned of by no less than 3 people and finding (apart from a couple more BBs) an 1882 penny (one side worn). Nearby I got an old musket ball. I was getting excited. About an hour later I found a collection of junk indicating a possible area where people gathered. I also found 2 tokens, a Weight and Johnson Drapers and Outfitters (I have a couple of these) rarity of R4 (Rennicks) and my first Tasmanian token - H Lipscombe of Hobart. The token refers to "Seedsman and Salesman". Unfortunately it is not in too good a condition. I went back to the car for a big drink and lunch (getting hot again) thinking the only spot left to hone in on was the race course itself. Nope. Not one more decent target. Spent hours looking, looking, looking.

Back to the car for another long drink and decided not to push any further. That's when I decided this particular site had probably been hit years ago. Anyway I'll try again another time.

I am looking forward to the old house site. This would date back to the 1830s. There is signs of it from the road but hopefully it has not also been hit (too hard).

Some pics below.

1515911854_p1050963_2.jpg

1515911875_p1050964_2.jpg

1515911890_p1050968_2.jpg

1515911907_p1050969_2.jpg

1515911921_p1050970_2.jpg

Thanks for your responses guys.

I'll keep you posted. That racecourse (and betting area and drinking area etc) is there somewhere!

Latest posts