Looking Over My Shoulder

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maxwell4 said:
A good pick can be a handy tool in more ways than one when out by yourself.

Better still, a good mate, invaluable .

Yeah my good mates name is Winchester :eek: :Y: :)

Agree on the pick but as also can be carried in your vehicle with just cause to have there :Y: Get picked up with an axe in your car and no valid reason and you will know what I mean :rolleyes:

Can I suggest you carry a handheld radio even if only detecting by yourself. Apart from the visibility of it indicating someone else (or more) is around you could work out a bluff whereby your unseen friend do not have to respond.

Interesting reading - great thread.

I have very few friends (even on FaceBook - LOL). It takes a very long time for me to genuinely trust other people. Bogger, I also have a great friend with the same name.
Reading some of the stories above just reinforces things for me.

One of my "mantra's" - "The givers have to set limits, because the takers never will"

Another one "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

It's a shame that we have to take all of this into consideration, not just with prospecting/detecting, but with most things in life - particularly when greed and envy can be involved.

Ironman I might have stole it from him ? ;)
One of our trips to Cape York had a mate that no matter where we went he go bogged and hence the nick was born :Y: Funniest part was he had the latest cruiser with all the good gear but every time it was the old forerunners and Rodeos that pulled him out :D

1515829149_e7828ea4-c42f-4c3c-8f47-cf11046e642f.jpg

Hey Carey i have two security guards when I go out by myself hehe one stays in back of Ute other follows me around like a bad smell :)
Scotty

Mackka said:
Glad you have a fridge with cold water for your babies. They look a it hot.
Mackka
Sure do Mackka have 10ltr water tank in there for them that was on Christmas Day out the Bush with my two best mates believe it or not there brother & sister hehe

Bogger said:
One of our trips to Cape York had a mate that no matter where we went he go bogged and hence the nick was born :Y: Funniest part was he had the latest cruiser with all the good gear but every time it was the old forerunners and Rodeos that pulled him out :D

Sounds like the perfect line for that classic quote "All the right gear, but no idea"

Moneybox said:
Its sad that we've come to doubt people as much as we do. Stranger danger is something we never knew of when growing up. I thought it was just something invented for city rared school kids. It seems the disease has spread far and wide threatening our peaceful way of life.
Only people Ive met while out detecting have been nothing but nice genuine people. Im sure theres a very minor few out there that are a bit sketchy but Im yet to see or meet them. Mind you if someone turns up while Im out and dont know them Ive got my guard up for a bit. Probably too trusting but thats the way I grew up and its served me pretty well so far. Not been ripped off or robbed yet while other places around me have.

Moneybox said:
Its sad that we've come to doubt people as much as we do. Stranger danger is something we never knew of when growing up. I thought it was just something invented for city rared school kids. It seems the disease has spread far and wide threatening our peaceful way of life.
the term was invented for us
thrust upon us via media....
Desired end result..... divided we fall
We the people were a force to be reconed with..... and I recon they reconed with us all pretty well ! :|

There was a name for that back in the day, tent slashers? Or tent cutters?
Sneaking a hand in from behind the tent.
As I've said before, leaving a note saying "GONE TO SHOOT A BUNNY MATE, BACK IN FIVE"
Would make haste of a decision to leave you alone and make tracks! Haha

Flowerpot said:
Last weekend hubby a I were out scratching around Talbot, hubby went off one way and I went the other keeping troopy within sight . I got a signal at the base of an old tree stump and started digging, knowing it could be crap inside the stump OR maybe gold under the roots. I use an external speaker and I was on my knees digging away for 10 mins or so and I looked up and there was a bloke walking towards me, he was carrying a GPZ7000, I didn't hear him coming because I was head down, he was looking around (for someone else I'm guessing) I said g'day and kept digging while chatting, with one eye on him as well, he made me nervous. I told him I was new to this and he kept looking around past me into the bush. I said hubby was just over there somewhere. He suggested I call out to him so that he can do the hard digging... So I did. After a few minutes of him looking about he spotted hubby wandering towards us and he commented that 'he's not in any hurry is he'. I told him hubby never hurries. He reluctantly said his name was Micheal from Geelong and that 'personally he wouldn't bother digging there, but he'd been wrong before' then he suggested we hitch the stump to troopy and pull it out, hubby said 'nope' and went to troopy and got the axe, maybe for 'just in case this guy's a nutter and needs slowing down' or just to try and chop a side off the stump to have a look down inside, which he tried to do, the stump was too old and hard and wouldn't give though and by now 'Michael' said bye and decided to wander off. I have no idea where he went. Hubby and I decided to bury the stump back in a go home.
Was this bloke just being friendly-ish ? Maybe? I don't know?
He made me nervous anyway. Probably went back there and pulled the stump out himself to have a look under it.
I'll go with hubby later today and see.
Went back for a look, nothing's changed stumps still there.
Micheal from Geelong if your out there, sorry about that. :|

I think I would be more worried if he were carrying a $50 ebay special rather than GPZ7000, but that's not to say that everyone that has a $50 ebay special is out to do you harm.

G'Day All

I have to admit that everyone I have met in the bush has been friendly and more that willing to stop for a chat and show off their finds. One time however I was with the family in a remote spot happily panning away when we heard someone coming through the scrub swearing and making some mumbling sounds. I snuck around near them when they came tumbling out of the bush. I had never seen two more dangerous looking types before. Then I noticed the metal detector and made an introduction. To cut a long story short it just goes to show that you cannot judge a book by its cover. They were real mountain men and we became long term prospecting mates. We were out in the same area years later and were being pot shot at. Terry said to me he was sick of this sort of s#*t, went to his back pack and said to me better run as he chucked a quarter stick of jelly over his back. There was a god almighty boom and once the dirt, dust and twigs settled we heard a car start up and roar out of the area at a great speed. Another time in a similar part of the area we came across some blokes poking around our camp. Terry calmly went up to the camp and later told me they had guns - maybe the same blokes - he said G'day and went to the back of his ute and the blokes were looking as if they wanting to start something as Terry calmly as you like just removed his gun from the back and asked them if they had ever seen an AK47 before. They mentioned that they had not and had better be going on their way as they were late. Never saw them again. Terry worked winter on his family farm and summer as a mercenary.

Geez SW some damn close calls there. 8.(
Where can I buy some jelly, fire crackers aren't going to cut it !

Latest posts