From zero to hero with DetectingSA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be happy because if you can find the 2cents and the $2 mate,you will find the florins,sovereigns,penny's etc when you swing your coil over them.Happy hunting.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice and encouragement everyone has given me over the last few weeks.

I've got a rostered day off banked at work, I'm going to see if they'll let me take it this Friday so I can head down to a new spot I've had my eye on in one of adelaides oldest suburbs.

Spend a good 5-6 hours down there and hopefully come back with some silver :eek: :D

Has any of the adelaidian detectors here ever went down to the city's parklands? I assume they've been done and done many times over the years, but there is quite abit of square footage there. Anyone come up with silver? I've been pondering heading down one day myself but not sure if it's worth it

Oh never mind apparently it's illegal

1515466635_img_3327.jpg

Of course it's illegal, this is Australia the country where it is verboten to do more things than are not verboten. Welcome to the nanny state where you have to punish and deny everyone because of the actions of a few idiots.

Hey DSA

Don't want to "burst your bubble" but the Ace doesn't detect the beach well - especially wet sand/water which is where most of the goodies are on the beach.

I have an ACE and didn't find much on the beach apart from the junk you found - I switched to a Minelab Sovereign (known for liking salt/water) and my finds on the beach suddenly improved.

I wanted to tell you this because nobody told me - and I wasted alot of hours with it on the beach wondering what I was doing wrong - which was nothing but using the wrong detector.

The ACE is great in parks, and everywhere except the beach. We have a couple of members here who swear by the ACE (silver is one) but you will notice they are not beach detecting.

Compared to alot of other detectors out there - the ACE is a bit of a toy. I am not suggesting buying a CTX (unless you can afford one) but if you want your finds to improve you may look at getting a second hand Sovereign, Explorer, E-Trac, or Excaliber in the Minelab stable ...

I did and never looked back!

Cheers
Paul

I have done Bonython Park 4 times for a total of just over $80 but there is no shows or anything on there that i can find but i have not done any of the other parks.Sunday morns are the best time because you can find a park
DetectingSA said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice and encouragement everyone has given me over the last few weeks.

I've got a rostered day off banked at work, I'm going to see if they'll let me take it this Friday so I can head down to a new spot I've had my eye on in one of adelaides oldest suburbs.

Spend a good 5-6 hours down there and hopefully come back with some silver :eek: :D

Has any of the adelaidian detectors here ever went down to the city's parklands? I assume they've been done and done many times over the years, but there is quite abit of square footage there. Anyone come up with silver? I've been pondering heading down one day myself but not sure if it's worth it

Paulmarr said:
Just to add even the cheaper Go Find 40 or 60 will out perform the ACE on the beach ...

Thanks for the info, I'm not much into beach detecting anyway. I'm after relics and coins. The ace 400 seemed to do ok on the beach though, I discriminated upto 30 and put sensitivity at about half and I had very little false signals and chatter

Are you saying it will just miss targets completely or were you referring to the constant chatter?

But remember finding normal money on beaches n parks pays for fuel n other shit I have found quite a few old coins on beaches n pparks while paying for my toys
My 705 payed for itself just over twice in 1n1/2 years now to pay for the ctx
DetectingSA said:
Paulmarr said:
Just to add even the cheaper Go Find 40 or 60 will out perform the ACE on the beach ...

Thanks for the info, I'm not much into beach detecting anyway. I'm after relics and coins. The ace 400 seemed to do ok on the beach though, I discriminated upto 30 and put sensitivity at about half and I had very little false signals and chatter

Are you saying it will just miss targets completely or were you referring to the constant chatter?

flyrodder said:
I have done Bonython Park 4 times for a total of just over $80 but there is no shows or anything on there that i can find but i have not done any of the other parks.Sunday morns are the best time because you can find a park
DetectingSA said:

Hey not bad $20 a trip, I never come out with more than a few pieces at the moment but I think I've got the hang of it. I'm not really in it for modern coins anyway, I go to work to earn money, I go detecting to find interesting stuff which may or may not have any value what so ever :lol: :D

I'm going to hit the park tonight for an hour or so after work see if I can get anything other than trash :p

I got out for an hour after work today for hunt #9, I went to the same park as my last hunt.

Everything, 3 coppers and a 5c, plastic dinosaur and 2 dollar :D

1515579598_img_3347.jpg

This I found which I'm pretty happy with, After some googling I'm thinking it's a padre poi. Doesn't have any value I don't think it's silver or gold but it's a keeper:

1515579774_img_3348.jpg

1515579776_img_3349.jpg

Last hunt before Friday when forum member manpa and I go hit an old park, we'll see what two newbies can come up with
:D

Cheers

Well done DT-SA.

I was thinking that little one at the bottom looked like Abe Lincoln, but probably not.

The $2 coin looks strange - almost a plastic, fakey? Seems to have a real raised edge on it?

How did you detect a plastic dinosaur? :D :D

DetectingSA said:
Paulmarr said:

Both DSA - my son has a CTX and proceeded to point me to a target - ran the dectector across and nothing - his beeps and he pulls out a shilling.

Also the falsing in wet sand or inches of water negates any chance of finding the goods. Unless the target is 3-4 inches down it has no hope.

Paulmarr said:
DetectingSA said:
Paulmarr said:

Both DSA - my son has a CTX and proceeded to point me to a target - ran the dectector across and nothing - his beeps and he pulls out a shilling.

Also the falsing in wet sand or inches of water negates any chance of finding the goods. Unless the target is 3-4 inches down it has no hope.

Yeah fair enough good info, I won't be wasting my time at the beach anytime soon then!

I'd love me a Ctx 3030, abit pricey and haven't been able to convince the missus yet :D

I got out for hunt #10 today,

I went to a park in an old suburb in adelaide today for a few hours, i got only trash and coins.

Few bucks in spendables and an old penny:

1515761956_img_3361.jpg

Penny is from 1917 which is by far my oldest coin so that's nice even if it is pretty worn

1515762022_img_3362.jpg

I was hoping to pluck my first silver out of the ground today but it wasn't my day! I'd definitely come back to that spot again, it's got a silver for me I know it :p