You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Northeast
03 January 2018 09:32 pm

Hi FNQ,

I've got a Gold Monster and it will certainly 'beep' on very small things and big things at various depths - but not to deep. It does have ferrous/non ferrous discrimination. And it is basic, simple, easy, couldn't be more fool proof. Great for kids. I brought it for the discrimination and although it is pretty good it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping.

The Equinox looks like it will give much better discrimination and possibly depth but is it too complex for a kid? I think it may be. My 13 year old could do it, maaaybe my 10 year but I doubt they could have at 7 years old.

The go find series, the Aldi detectors and various other brands will go 'beep' at lots of stuff and for a fraction of the cost. Maybe not the very best quality in regards to sturdiness but might be OK to see if the kids are actually really keen.

Personally, I am really keen on the Equinox because I think it will do what I want a lot better with the target numbers, notching ability, multi-frequency and Multi IQ target processing. So much so that I'm probably going to sell the Gold Monster to assist the Equinox purchase. So there might be a Monster for sale soon if you're interested wink

Also, I always point people to here http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold- … ectors.htm
It is in US dollars but it is a great run down of detectors, what they are and aren't capable of and what price range.

Good luck thumbsup

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

FNQ
04 January 2018 02:35 am

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm leaning towards the Equinox if it is as you-beaut as they claim, it's light weight and has this multi IQ thing (which I don't really understand). The boys will grow into it anyway! I'll be following this forum forever now.

We went out to Agate Creek last September and every bit of agate or coloured rock was like a huge gold nugget for them. I can't imagine their reaction if they actually found a bit of gold!

Go-find-60
Equinox 800

1 user likes this post: Northeast

Northeast
04 January 2018 07:50 am

Smart choice I reckon wink

OldGT
04 January 2018 05:31 pm

Bit quiet on Menelabs behalf considering the pending release date of late Jan/Early Feb.

Grounds gone hard, days are hot, still I'd like to have a play before the weather turns and the days get shorter.

If it were possible to die of impatience I'd be a goner....

4 users like this post: Heatho, Northeast, grubstake, ktmman

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
04 January 2018 10:25 pm

FNQ wrote:

Hi all, first time poster here with zero metal detecting experience. Kids were bugging me to buy one and the $350 one at BCF seems like a toy. Looked online and came across the Equinox. We'll just be using it around our camp sites and the beach. Not heading out to look for gold and the kids will be happy to find a nail. At first I thought the Equinox will be over the top for us but then I saw some of the prices out there! Do you think this will be good for a beginner and good for kids (aged 6 and 7)???

For campsites and beaches, and not going to go looking for gold the Equinox 600 would be the go, and save you some pennies.

Agent for Minelab, Nokta, NuggetFinder, Makro, Detech, Deteknix/Quest - Phase Technical Website

1 user likes this post: Northeast

FNQ
05 January 2018 08:06 am

For campsites and beaches, and not going to go looking for gold the Equinox 600 would be the go, and save you some pennies.

That was my first thought as well but there is only about $300 between the two. We won't be going on any gold prospecting expeditions but it might be fun to try and find a bit of gold in a creek.

Last edited by FNQ (05 January 2018 08:10 am)

Go-find-60
Equinox 800

ignas
11 January 2018 01:23 pm

FNQ wrote:

That was my first thought as well but there is only about $300 between the two. We won't be going on any gold prospecting expeditions but it might be fun to try and find a bit of gold in a creek.

If you can afford the Equinox buy it AND a 2nd hand Aldi on Gumtree. i saw one for $60-70. Let the kids trash that. It will take you a while to learn the Equinox & they have something to play with while you or the older kids are busy with it.

FNQ
12 January 2018 06:57 am

Thanks Ignas! That's a great idea.

Go-find-60
Equinox 800

hAyyoUinAU
15 January 2018 11:54 pm

Guess Ebay beat Australia to it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINELAB-EQU … SwxKBaAcUS

Release should be next month anyway so not too long to wait. At least the new pin pointers are out already.

GPZ 7000 + Equinox 800

mbasko
18 January 2018 06:37 am

Equinox Technologies Part 3:
https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabb … ies-part-3

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1 user likes this post: Heatho

Heatho
18 January 2018 08:35 am

Cheers Matt, that just makes me want one even more now. big_smile

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

dirtdiggin
18 January 2018 06:03 pm

So do we know how much there going to be here then?

OldGT
18 January 2018 06:29 pm

Still waiting....Painful really

1 user likes this post: BetPlacer

Nakan
18 January 2018 09:37 pm

I've been hanging out for this release. Hopefully reviews are great for the Equinox. Then I can lie, pretend, make excuses and whatever else it takes to convince myself I desperately need to upgrade from the 705 big_smile

Whisp
18 January 2018 09:40 pm

hAyyoUinAU wrote:

Release should be next month anyway so not too long to wait. At least the new pin pointers are out already.

See the word 'VORBESTELLUNG' it means Pre-Order, so all they are selling is a spot in the queue to be amongst the first.

Last edited by Whisp (18 January 2018 09:41 pm)

NB: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Northeast
18 January 2018 11:28 pm

Dirtdiggin. Prices initially were expected to be $649 and $899 for the 600 and 800 respectively (US $). Converts to $1124 for the 800 which would be pretty awesome value. For some reason I thought they were going to be closer to $1500 here but I'm not sure where I saw that or if someone was guessing??

I know I always link to this particular website but the posts from Steve Hersbach on here are probably the best indication of what this thing can and can't do. Steve is an impartial tester and simply tells it how it is. And he tells us he's excited which is getting lots of others excited too big_smile

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum … -fan-club/

I hope it is about $1100 here - I might not have to do so much convincing and grovelling lol

Westozadventures
19 January 2018 10:45 am

$1299 for the 800, I have a receipt, paid for mine a few months back.

detectors owned: Minelab gt16000, Garrett AT pro, Garrett ATX (sold), Minelab GPX5000 and Minelab equinox 800

2 users like this post: Northeast, RM Outback

HoudiniHarry
19 January 2018 12:11 pm

How is it working for you? Any insight would be appreciated.

Having a great time searching for gold....
GPX4500, Equinox 800 and SDC2300

Westozadventures
19 January 2018 12:43 pm

I paid for it but have not received it yet, patiently waiting for a phone call from the local shop.

detectors owned: Minelab gt16000, Garrett AT pro, Garrett ATX (sold), Minelab GPX5000 and Minelab equinox 800

bhogg
20 January 2018 05:23 pm

Northeast wrote:

Dirtdiggin. Prices initially were expected to be $649 and $899 for the 600 and 800 respectively (US $). Converts to $1124 for the 800 which would be pretty awesome value. For some reason I thought they were going to be closer to $1500 here but I'm not sure where I saw that or if someone was guessing??

I know I always link to this particular website but the posts from Steve Hersbach on here are probably the best indication of what this thing can and can't do. Steve is an impartial tester and simply tells it how it is. And he tells us he's excited which is getting lots of others excited too big_smile

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum … -fan-club/

I hope it is about $1100 here - I might not have to do so much convincing and grovelling lol

Hi Northeast

So do you think you’ll sell your gm1000 and just have your Z and the Equinox?
Sounds like a pretty good combination if it does what there hoping it’ll do!.
I’m just very interested to see how it goes getting them tiny nuggets like the gm dose! I was hoping there might’ve been some testers out there nugget shooting with it showing its all round ability.

1 user likes this post: dirtdiggin

Northeast
21 January 2018 01:00 pm

Howdy Hoggy. JP has shown a few tiny nuggets on the DP website so it is obviously working OK up his way.

I'm very 50/50 about whether I'll get one or not. I bought the Monster for the really trashy areas and although it has worked OK the discrimination hasn't been as good as I hoped. In saying that I know that I was expecting more from the GM than it could provide. It has been a good, simple, light, basic VLF and it has found me gold - as you know.

It sounds like the Equinox is going to be much better at discrimination than the GM and the MF is very appealing. And maybe I would do a bit more on the side of looking for coins, helping a few friends that I know have lost gold chains/rings without having to tear apart their lawn digging every signal, etc - but how much would I use it?? I'm not sure.

And would I sell the GM? I'm not sure about that either. Cutting a short broom stick and using it in mines, giving it to a friend to use, the kids to use, etc,- it is easy and versatile.

By the sounds of it those who aren't already pre-ordered are going to be waiting until maybe late Feb or mid March anyway so I've got a bit more time to think and see a few reviews once they hit the hands of a few people.

1 user likes this post: dirtdiggin

Trash
26 January 2018 01:27 pm

The National Go Minelabbing day is February 10

Some dealers that run an actual day of it ( Marquis down the park or somewhere suitable ) have an Equinox for show & tell .

I have seen an ad by one dealer advertising the day .

Gpx 5000 ( sold ) Sov. GT ( Sold ) Ctx 3030

BetPlacer
Banned
Banned
31 January 2018 06:48 pm

Ridge Runner wrote:
Goldpick wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:
Goldpick wrote:

Not sure what you mean as in "important requirement"? I'd say having the addition of multiple frequencies, plus having more single frequencies than the Impact (plus higher 40kHz frequency), and waterproofing would make it a more versatile detector. That's on paper, we'll have to wait to see how it performs in the real world before making judgements on performance, ergonomics, weight etc.

No mate I can tell straight off that it is going to have limited use, just have another look at it and what do you see of not see.

Umm, so you can't tell me the design faults, you've already predicted how many are gong to sell, and are asking me to look for something that isn't there. Just cut to the chase John rather than trolling for a response.

It's not a case of trolling for a response, and if you realized and paid attention and compared it's design compared to the Impact, the CTX, GPX, GPZ the V3i to name a few you will see that there is absolutely no weight at the rear of the shaft under the arm cup, So how do you think that is going to feel at the end of a days detecting using larger coils, They have already made a 13x15" coil for it but without any counter weight under the arm cup I doubt very much if people will be able to use the larger coils.

How tough is it going to be to simply add your own counter weight?

Born, raised, and live in the good ole' USA. Knowing that, PLEASE have some patience with me. wink

BetPlacer
Banned
Banned
31 January 2018 07:04 pm

hAyyoUinAU wrote:

Not sure about that. I eBay professionally, and the largest area where people get ripped off is the "pre-order", which this likely is, even though it's coming off as an "on-hand".

Born, raised, and live in the good ole' USA. Knowing that, PLEASE have some patience with me. wink

hAyyoUinAU
31 January 2018 07:27 pm

BetPlacer wrote:
hAyyoUinAU wrote:

Not sure about that. I eBay professionally, and the largest area where people get ripped off is the "pre-order", which this likely is, even though it's coming off as an "on-hand".

Yeah that is probably right and still no release date from Minelab yet.

GPZ 7000 + Equinox 800

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site