You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Northeast
03 January 2018 09:32 pm

Hi FNQ,

I've got a Gold Monster and it will certainly 'beep' on very small things and big things at various depths - but not to deep. It does have ferrous/non ferrous discrimination. And it is basic, simple, easy, couldn't be more fool proof. Great for kids. I brought it for the discrimination and although it is pretty good it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping.

The Equinox looks like it will give much better discrimination and possibly depth but is it too complex for a kid? I think it may be. My 13 year old could do it, maaaybe my 10 year but I doubt they could have at 7 years old.

The go find series, the Aldi detectors and various other brands will go 'beep' at lots of stuff and for a fraction of the cost. Maybe not the very best quality in regards to sturdiness but might be OK to see if the kids are actually really keen.

Personally, I am really keen on the Equinox because I think it will do what I want a lot better with the target numbers, notching ability, multi-frequency and Multi IQ target processing. So much so that I'm probably going to sell the Gold Monster to assist the Equinox purchase. So there might be a Monster for sale soon if you're interested wink

Also, I always point people to here http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold- … ectors.htm
It is in US dollars but it is a great run down of detectors, what they are and aren't capable of and what price range.

Good luck thumbsup

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

FNQ
04 January 2018 02:35 am

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm leaning towards the Equinox if it is as you-beaut as they claim, it's light weight and has this multi IQ thing (which I don't really understand). The boys will grow into it anyway! I'll be following this forum forever now.

We went out to Agate Creek last September and every bit of agate or coloured rock was like a huge gold nugget for them. I can't imagine their reaction if they actually found a bit of gold!

1 user likes this post: Northeast

Northeast
04 January 2018 07:50 am

Smart choice I reckon wink

OldGT
04 January 2018 05:31 pm

Bit quiet on Menelabs behalf considering the pending release date of late Jan/Early Feb.

Grounds gone hard, days are hot, still I'd like to have a play before the weather turns and the days get shorter.

If it were possible to die of impatience I'd be a goner....

4 users like this post: Heatho, Northeast, grubstake, ktmman

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
04 January 2018 10:25 pm

FNQ wrote:

Hi all, first time poster here with zero metal detecting experience. Kids were bugging me to buy one and the $350 one at BCF seems like a toy. Looked online and came across the Equinox. We'll just be using it around our camp sites and the beach. Not heading out to look for gold and the kids will be happy to find a nail. At first I thought the Equinox will be over the top for us but then I saw some of the prices out there! Do you think this will be good for a beginner and good for kids (aged 6 and 7)???

For campsites and beaches, and not going to go looking for gold the Equinox 600 would be the go, and save you some pennies.

Agent for Minelab, Nokta, NuggetFinder, Makro, Detech, Deteknix/Quest - Phase Technical Website

1 user likes this post: Northeast

FNQ
05 January 2018 08:06 am

For campsites and beaches, and not going to go looking for gold the Equinox 600 would be the go, and save you some pennies.

That was my first thought as well but there is only about $300 between the two. We won't be going on any gold prospecting expeditions but it might be fun to try and find a bit of gold in a creek.

Last edited by FNQ (05 January 2018 08:10 am)

ignas
11 January 2018 01:23 pm

FNQ wrote:

That was my first thought as well but there is only about $300 between the two. We won't be going on any gold prospecting expeditions but it might be fun to try and find a bit of gold in a creek.

If you can afford the Equinox buy it AND a 2nd hand Aldi on Gumtree. i saw one for $60-70. Let the kids trash that. It will take you a while to learn the Equinox & they have something to play with while you or the older kids are busy with it.

FNQ
12 January 2018 06:57 am

Thanks Ignas! That's a great idea.

hAyyoUinAU
15 January 2018 11:54 pm

Guess Ebay beat Australia to it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINELAB-EQU … SwxKBaAcUS

Release should be next month anyway so not too long to wait. At least the new pin pointers are out already.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site