15 inch Nugget Finder spoked on GPX 4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently bought this coil for my unit. I have come to the understanding that pound for pound it is the stand out coil for my machine. 2 days into using it I cracked a .085 at 4 inches I would say. Problem #1. I cant for the life of me accurately pinpoint with this thing. Compared to the 11 inch commander the evo is a nightmare. I think I have centre and it never is! Problem #2. Since I found the 1st nugget with it on the 2nd of Jan I have gone into a dry spell. I know this probably has nothing to do with the coil and we all have our dry spells BUT I went back to an area where I KNOW there is still gold and I spent two full days searching for it and NADA. I cracked the shits and spent the next few days researching and trying new areas. Maryborough - 2 foot for a spoon in 35 degrees (enjoyed that) Inglewood couple of hours for Jack. Wedderburn couple of hours deep hole for Rust ha ha. I know from research that the coil needs to be wound back in terms of stab and gain. Likes running in quiet Audio. Ive found bullets and a bit of gold so I know it works the problem now I think is a confidence thing. I don't have any for this coil. I went back to my gold spot today and swung it for 3 hours with no targets. I thought bugger this and switched back to the commander and BINGO 20 minutes later 3 gram nugget in my hand. Coincidence? Do any of you guys have this combination, and if you do, can you tell me what I may be doing wrong? Thanks guys.

These coils are a bugger to pinpoint with but I can forgive that for the way they preform .2 1/thing get to know your detector and coil and understand it take your time 2/ take your time rushing from one spot to another does not help get to know one or 2 areas and you will benefit regards john :Y:

Hi
Recently got a 14 inch coiltec and found the same thing and then doubt everything I'm doing!
Dry spells come and go and sometimes seem to go on forever?
I think it is just coincidence you got the nugget after changing coils. Maybe you covered stax of ground with the big coil and then the small coil just happened to go over other ground. Were you covering the same ground with each coil?

good luck with the coil

Great advice guys thank you so much I agree with all of you. Confidence is a strange thing and no doubt I did not walk over it till I put the commander on

I use my 15" Evo a lot. I love it. I've found some good gold with it, though nothing bigger than 8g. I have no trouble pin pointing with it by using the left hand edge of the coil. Get a line from one direction and then rotate 90 to get a cross section line. X marks the spot. The trick is to move the coil in slowly to get the spot.
I also use the very front tip of the coil once I have the x identified. Again move in slowly.
I will find down to 0.3g with it.

I choose the 15 when I'm looking for larger gold at greater depth. However if I'm not finding anything and desperate to just find something I'll switch to an 11" or 12" where I will find smaller pieces, and bigger if they are there, but not to the depth of the 15.

So to me it's just a matter of choosing the coil to suit size and depth of target.

Good luck!

Oh, I've just bought the 19" Evo too. It's a very good coil too, and I follow the same philosophy. Not found anything but rubbish yet. Was very excited last time out when I was a foot down in what looked like an undug gully between two saddle reefs. I was in hard gravel and was sure I'd found a big one. It ended up being an 85g piece of rusty steel. Just don't know how it got down there. so to me it did the job nicely. Could quite easily have been gold. It certainly was an exciting dig.

I use the 15 evo. It is my general search coil. Found gold with it. I have noticed the 15" is a lot more prone to hot ground and emi compared to the commander. I have had to swap back to the 11 only once I have to turn my rx lower than 6. I generally try run my rx around 12. As for pinpointing try digging out your holes a little wider with gradual sloping edges. If you dig your holes with deep dropped off edges you'll get an echo effect and will make pin pointing difficult. I run a 4500.

I went over a patch with my 11" commander and got 3 bits for 2.5 grams, loved how quiet and stable it ran. Then went back over with the 17 X 13 evo and got a few more small .2 - .5g that were pretty deep that I missed, not as stable especially running in enhance due to emi but the ground coverage is a big plus if you have the room.

It's hard if you have doubt in the back of your mind but I certainly have the confidence that if it's over .2 I won't miss it with the evo.

Smallest so far with the evo was .15 at surprising depth.

Latest posts