Is it just me??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We drive 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to the diggings and I detect all day till 5 pm when it is starting to get dark.Need 30 minutes of light to whip up a meal. Unfortunately I am so concentrated I cant stop during the day.My wife has a fire going in an open area by 6 pm and we sit and cook potatoes in the hot ash on the edge of the fire.We sit there till 9 but usually there is a cold wind blowing and we head for the tent.My wife used to accompany me with the detector but I kept telling her to sweep it much slower and it got on her goat.My wife is not coming anymore cos the nights get too cold ( minus 1 at Maryborough).So will be out by myself next winter. Looking forward to checking out Inglewood .Had lots of trouble there in the old days with my old Whites digging up all the hot rocks,but with the 16 inch coil I could cover a lot of ground and find deeper nuggets at other goldfields but never found anything at Inglewood.Now I have a new detector which can discriminate hot rocks and so will find it more enjoyable. I only have a 11 inch coil but for now it will suffice.

When detecting in Vic I used to think this was a warming up thing ( temperature) coil got more noisy less sensitivity to target clarity. But doesn't happen to me in W.A.s less populated areas where finds are similar throughout the day. Maybe theres more things being used, switched on etc increasing more emi and less clarity during " business " hours in more populated areas.

I think you guys have hit on a pretty important topic here, my take on it is, its not so much lack of focus later in the day but we are experiencing more and more sunspot activity after early morning hunt, thru mid afternoon, this could be reducing the strength of the signals to the detector, of those hard to find very small nuggets or extra deep gram size nuggets due to lack of sensitivity during peak sunspot time. I do notice my machines both pi and vlf are progressively more noisy after early morning hunts thru mid afternoon, then evenings the machines get very quiet again. Might be something to this??

RobboChasinYella said:
Finally cracked a late one. Got a .85 at 5pm ha ha using my new 15 spoked evo. But thats the end of it. 4 full days from 2nd of Jan and nothing further. Gotta slow down keep my head down and focus on one area instead of lifting my head and saying oh that place looks good and going here there and everywhere
Hey mate im heading out sat morning around wehla, pm me if your up for a day or two.

Cheers
YF

mxt sniper said:
I think you guys have hit on a pretty important topic here, my take on it is, its not so much lack of focus later in the day but we are experiencing more and more sunspot activity after early morning hunt, thru mid afternoon, this could be reducing the strength of the signals to the detector, of those hard to find very small nuggets or extra deep gram size nuggets due to lack of sensitivity during peak sunspot time. I do notice my machines both pi and vlf are progressively more noisy after early morning hunts thru mid afternoon, then evenings the machines get very quiet again. Might be something to this??

Sunspot activity does not change that quick, it fluctuates and new spots can develop in days ad tend to persist for weeks, the sun also has an 11 year cycle where numbers of spots build up and then wane

interesting topic.

I have spots in rivers I can hit one or two days straight with a banker or pan and get consistent good gold , then I go another day and continue the same spot and get jack sheet , go back a few weeks later the gold fairies have put it back again.

Its got to be a moon thing like when you go fishing , there are certain days and times when fish are on the bite and others where you could swear you were fishing in the local council swimming pool.

Time of day ? Not sure but I have noticed the above many times when there are certain days when doctor whos mates sneak down and take the gold to another dimension.

Hey old timer Rob I have been to Maryborough once and like the look of the diggings there. I would be interested in keeping ya company next time you head out mate if ya interested pm me.

Damn it yellow fever just saw ya post now. Need to adjust my notifications. Thanks for the offer mate spewing i missed it

Latest posts