⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a win this morning, packed the caravan and convinced the family to make one more trip out to the Vulcan SF to get them onto some smokeys before hitting the road.

After 30 mins of digging like a dog the family was starting to show the signs of drifting away and my ego was also starting to take a tumble as I had failed to deliver a single crystal.

Then along came a spider ....... a palm sized funnel web to be a bit more specific. As we didn't appear to be getting along well in the same hole, I decided there were a number of indicators telling me this particular hole was not going to deliver the outcome I was after.

After the adrenaline hit everyone seemed to be re-energised, so I opened up some fresh ground in a last ditch effort to re-establish my legendary gemstone hunting skills. And then it happened.... a flicker of grey mirrored brilliance shot the whole family in the eye as they were circling my hole. A finger sized smokey emerged and was met with ooohhhs and aaarrrrs, followed by thumb sized point and then a double terminated twin crystal.

We proceeded to clean out the pocket together and bagged a few nested specimens prior to hitting the road. Even overheard a few "awesome" comments. Was a great end to a impromptu family getaway. Feeling happy that I decided to take some extra time off work to address the itch and have another crack at inspiring a shared interest.
1515143194_image.jpg

1515142526_image.jpg

Also stumbled across some peridot nested in basalt host rock

1515142700_image.jpg

Nice find there Wally :Y:

Just like fishing, fossicking can get despondent at times but the biggest part of luck is persistence.

Hi all thats a nice colour interesting I can say that combination would be rare..what do you think ..maybe it's the camera it looks so much like the amethyst purple with yellow.. got to be rare combination all the best

Gemo said:
Hi all thats a nice colour interesting I can say that combination would be rare..what do you think ..maybe it's the camera it looks so much like the amethyst purple with yellow.. got to be rare combination all the best

yeah ya don't see many with that much purple streak running through aye? I thought the same. :Y:

Not the camera,its definately a light purple colour. Yellows just a bit of something else ,not opal. no idea about how rare the colour is as I really dont know much about opal, just messing around with some rocks I got out of my mates backyard.

Latest posts