You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#1

Matthew K
Member
Joined: 15 September 2016
Posts: 18
Member
24 September 2016 11:57 am

1474678457_img_0009.jpg
1474678457_img_0010.jpg
1474678457_img_0017.jpg
1474678458_img_0019.jpg
1474678458_img_0020.jpg

Hi guys.
The mysterious rock has still not been identified.
Please share your best guess.
I found it 100m from the shoreline in Gippslands 90mile beach.

1 user likes this post: aussiefarmer

#2

Reeks
Member
From: Central Coast, NSW
Joined: 17 October 2013
Posts: 652
Member
24 September 2016 12:25 pm

Looks like a shell, have seen same colour but smaller around local beaches

#3

Matthew K
Member
Joined: 15 September 2016
Posts: 18
Member
24 September 2016 12:35 pm

Well done Woomera
Thanks

Well done. The above is naming the rock
Very rare crystalized Sugilite specimen from South Africa with a rich violet color.

But is it a fossil

#4

Matthew K
Member
Joined: 15 September 2016
Posts: 18
Member
24 September 2016 12:39 pm

Reeks wrote:

Looks like a shell, have seen same colour but smaller around local beaches

Hi. Reeks
yeah a shell it could be. Anyone know how old,
Is it rare

#5

Shambala
Newbie
Joined: 10 January 2018
Posts: 5
Newbie
10 January 2018 01:47 pm

I have hundreds of these in jars not a shell but like a type of sea creature that attaches itself to rocks on the bottem of the ocean ..the east coast of NSW they are plenty ..not rare

#6

Hunting the yellow
Member
From: down a hole
Joined: 20 December 2012
Posts: 1,711
Member
10 January 2018 08:57 pm

old sand blown bottle neck is my guess simple test wold be to try and scrap a bit off and put it in hydrochloric acid if it fizzles you have a fossil if it dose nothing you have glass


born 150 years too late and missed all the gold rushers

#7

AussieChris
Member
From: Bathurst, NSW
Joined: 08 April 2015
Posts: 544
Member
10 January 2018 09:06 pm

It's not a Megalodon tooth is it? I have seen some in the past almost that colour but not quite as vibrant.


"About 10 minutes into it everything changed, buckets were flying ... people were bleeding. Girls were unconscious."

#8

Dolphin
Member
Joined: 06 November 2016
Posts: 104
Member
10 January 2018 09:23 pm

Shambala wrote:

I have hundreds of these in jars not a shell but like a type of sea creature that attaches itself to rocks on the bottem of the ocean ..the east coast of NSW they are plenty ..not rare

Hi Mathew K,
I agree with Shambala, It is a kind of larger marine Barnacle, I used to run Trawlers in my younger years and fishing off 90 mile beach and north right up into NSW waters we would often get them as part of the by catch, they are reasonably common to Fishermen, hope this helps.
Dolphin.


GPZ 7000. Several DIY Highbankers,various panning and crevassing tools. "In the midst of chaos,there is also opportunity."
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is noise before defeat."

#9

Fossil_phile18
Member
Joined: 16 August 2018
Posts: 14
Member
19 August 2018 02:31 pm

Dolphin wrote:
Shambala wrote:

I have hundreds of these in jars not a shell but like a type of sea creature that attaches itself to rocks on the bottem of the ocean ..the east coast of NSW they are plenty ..not rare

Hi Mathew K,
I agree with Shambala, It is a kind of larger marine Barnacle, I used to run Trawlers in my younger years and fishing off 90 mile beach and north right up into NSW waters we would often get them as part of the by catch, they are reasonably common to Fishermen, hope this helps.
Dolphin.

Beautiful colour, fascinating shape --- are they fossils?


Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top