Mysterious rock. What is it...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1474678457_img_0009.jpg

1474678457_img_0010.jpg

1474678457_img_0017.jpg

1474678458_img_0019.jpg

1474678458_img_0020.jpg

Hi guys.
The mysterious rock has still not been identified.
Please share your best guess.
I found it 100m from the shoreline in Gippslands 90mile beach.

I have hundreds of these in jars not a shell but like a type of sea creature that attaches itself to rocks on the bottem of the ocean ..the east coast of NSW they are plenty ..not rare

old sand blown bottle neck is my guess simple test wold be to try and scrap a bit off and put it in hydrochloric acid if it fizzles you have a fossil if it dose nothing you have glass

Shambala said:
I have hundreds of these in jars not a shell but like a type of sea creature that attaches itself to rocks on the bottem of the ocean ..the east coast of NSW they are plenty ..not rare
Hi Mathew K,
I agree with Shambala, It is a kind of larger marine Barnacle, I used to run Trawlers in my younger years and fishing off 90 mile beach and north right up into NSW waters we would often get them as part of the by catch, they are reasonably common to Fishermen, hope this helps.
Dolphin.

Dolphin said:
Shambala said:
Hi Mathew K,
I agree with Shambala, It is a kind of larger marine Barnacle, I used to run Trawlers in my younger years and fishing off 90 mile beach and north right up into NSW waters we would often get them as part of the by catch, they are reasonably common to Fishermen, hope this helps.
Dolphin.

Beautiful colour, fascinating shape --- are they fossils?

Latest posts