Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dosent matter what detector you could miss a large nugget by an inch because you went left instead of right
The hobby is like lotto some win but most loose if it was me go with what you feel is right for you
People on here can give advice but at the end of the day its up to you
Go hard stay low and be safe

Gday Etienne,
Before you decide on a machine to buy, come out here to Hill End. Its about a 4 hour drive out of Sydney and you can try out both machines in the field.
I own both machines and use them on a daily basis. All you need to provide is your own set of ear plugs and case of beer (Cartlton ). :lol:
(This offer is for all P.A Members as well)
If I could only buy one machine it would be the 4500 as its a more versatile machine. By having changeable coils it can be adapted to use in areas that the 2300 would be a waste of time

Both are very good machines but before you decide, do your research on the areas that you think that you will be visiting on your trip and buy the appropriate machine

cheers

Bob

Balmain Bob said:
Gday Etienne,
Before you decide on a machine to buy, come out here to Hill End. Its about a 4 hour drive out of Sydney and you can try out both machines in the field.
I own both machines and use them on a daily basis. All you need to provide is your own set of ear plugs and case of beer (Cartlton ). :lol:

If I could only buy one machine it would be the 4500 as its a more versatile machine. By having changeable coils it can be adapted to use in areas that the 2300 would be a waste of time

Both are very good machines but before you decide, do your research on the areas that you think that you will be visiting on your trip and buy the appropriate machine

cheers

Bob

What's that Bob, there's that much gold there that you have to wear ear plugs so you don't hear your detector as much? :Y:

I think that we'll all be visiting you soon.

Cheers

Doug

Oh yes I forgot that it depend of the area !
I didn't lear anything yet about different kind of area, I just know that I will go near Sydney or near Perth to find gold, it is the same kind of earth?

Thanks Balmain for your offer ! I will definitly come to you to try them if I buy a car in Sydney ;)
In all case I should try both first to see if I will be able to configure the GPX 4500, if I can, maybe it could be a better idea to take it and if not, let's go for the SDC :)

(And yes you're right, if there is a big nugget I could miss it for few centimeters even if it's not deep so I shouldn't care about it !)

Hi, i own a 4500 I've been out last 3 months or so around the triangle with no luck im thinking maybe its my lack of knowledge on this machine as their is many settings and now thinking if i should just trade it off for a 2300 as im just happy finding smaller stuff. I've had a training session with it, just dont feel confident with it after 5 months or so.

Just would like some insight on this matter? or if anyone has been in the same boat before. Cheers.

I went the other way. Got a 2300 and dug loads of very very small stuff. Great machine but I have now a 4500 and I can change coils and I tend to get the bigger stuff.
The 4500 works really well on both small (not as small as 2300) but also deeper targets.

What coils are you using and what settings?
Also what research have you done in terms of location?

Cheers

I have 12inch evo, 8 commander,12x7 advantage plenty of coils i think its more im not walking over the gold in the way of research i use the john tully books and trying get my head around geovic at the moment.

Settings i use are :

general/fixed/enhance, gain 8, stab 6, audio - quiet

Jimmy, maybe you just havent walked over it yet..Supprising how things change once you find that first bit..Confidence rises and things seem to fall into place..If I was struggling to score I would buy one of the new Coiltek Camo 9 inch coils and chase that old alluvial ground where the old timers surfaced..The 9 inch should be dead easy to get used to and deadly on small stuff..

I've heard that, i wish i could afford it lol. Maybe i just persist with the 4500, I have found gold before so im doing something right! Just looking in the wrong spots as i've gotta learn to read the ground better, cheers for replies!

Baldy said:
Jimmy, maybe you just havent walked over it yet..Supprising how things change once you find that first bit..Confidence rises and things seem to fall into place..If I was struggling to score I would buy one of the new Coiltek Camo 9 inch coils and chase that old alluvial ground where the old timers surfaced..The 9 inch should be dead easy to get used to and deadly on small stuff..

Thanks mate, sounds like a great idea have been eyeing those coils off just gotta get approval from the wife :mad:
I'll keep trying, im finding lead shot so my settings must be ok, cheers for friendly advice.

If you are finding lead shot you are doing everything right. Just need to walk over the yellow stuff. Lots of research. Maybe pop along to some of the meet ups out the bush may help.
Lots of friendly prospectors. Or join a club for some help. Many of the clubs have camp outs with lots of help.

Cheers

Baldy said:

Just spoke to a lady from Coiltek this morning and sounds like they are expecting loads of sales for the 9". It will be interesting to see results and compare with SDC.

Apart from that Jimmy the 12" evo will do a great job go low and go slow.

and dig everything you never know.

Cheers

HoudiniHarry said:
Baldy said:

Just spoke to a lady from Coiltek this morning and sounds like they are expecting loads of sales for the 9". It will be interesting to see results and compare with SDC.

Apart from that Jimmy the 12" evo will do a great job go low and go slow.

and dig everything you never know.

Cheers

It's a reasonable price aswell $390, will sell like hot cakes.

Thanks mate, i will keep trying i've got everything right by the sounds of it so will keep persisting.

Personal preference if you are happy with the smaller stuff then the sdc will do. I personally would go the 4500 over the SDC

Stick with the 4500 I think. Going solo for your first trips can be frustrating. Go to our "member meet ups" column, and ask if someone will meet up with that has minelab. Then you can get some one on one time without pressure.

jimmy146 said:
I have 12inch evo, 8 commander,12x7 advantage plenty of coils i think its more im not walking over the gold in the way of research i use the john tully books and trying get my head around geovic at the moment.

Settings i use are :

general/fixed/enhance, gain 8, stab 6, audio - quiet

Put your 12" Evo on, and change your settings to Gain 7 and Stabilizer 13. Motion - Very Slow.
Threshold should be nice and stable with a very slight warble to it.

Run in Fixed and ground balance as often as you can remember.

Stick to known areas for starters (no-one ever gets it all), as then you don't have to worry about if you are in the right spot or not.
Head down, and just listen. Investigate every faint repeatable murmur. If you are digging trash, particularly small lead or deep bullet shells, you are doing every thing right.

Best of luck!

Nenad

Latest posts