Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they are around $1300. Concerned about whether the kids can handle a large metal detector and hoping they don't destroy it!

There are cheeper ones out there like the gold monster 1000 or the xterra 705 which are both good detectors
Someone will jump on and let you know about other choices that are around

Hi FNQ,

I've got a Gold Monster and it will certainly 'beep' on very small things and big things at various depths - but not to deep. It does have ferrous/non ferrous discrimination. And it is basic, simple, easy, couldn't be more fool proof. Great for kids. I brought it for the discrimination and although it is pretty good it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping.

The Equinox looks like it will give much better discrimination and possibly depth but is it too complex for a kid? I think it may be. My 13 year old could do it, maaaybe my 10 year but I doubt they could have at 7 years old.

The go find series, the Aldi detectors and various other brands will go 'beep' at lots of stuff and for a fraction of the cost. Maybe not the very best quality in regards to sturdiness but might be OK to see if the kids are actually really keen.

Personally, I am really keen on the Equinox because I think it will do what I want a lot better with the target numbers, notching ability, multi-frequency and Multi IQ target processing. So much so that I'm probably going to sell the Gold Monster to assist the Equinox purchase. So there might be a Monster for sale soon if you're interested ;)

Also, I always point people to here http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm
It is in US dollars but it is a great run down of detectors, what they are and aren't capable of and what price range.

Good luck :Y:

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm leaning towards the Equinox if it is as you-beaut as they claim, it's light weight and has this multi IQ thing (which I don't really understand). The boys will grow into it anyway! I'll be following this forum forever now.

We went out to Agate Creek last September and every bit of agate or coloured rock was like a huge gold nugget for them. I can't imagine their reaction if they actually found a bit of gold!

Bit quiet on Menelabs behalf considering the pending release date of late Jan/Early Feb.

Grounds gone hard, days are hot, still I'd like to have a play before the weather turns and the days get shorter.

If it were possible to die of impatience I'd be a goner....

FNQ said:
Hi all, first time poster here with zero metal detecting experience. Kids were bugging me to buy one and the $350 one at BCF seems like a toy. Looked online and came across the Equinox. We'll just be using it around our camp sites and the beach. Not heading out to look for gold and the kids will be happy to find a nail. At first I thought the Equinox will be over the top for us but then I saw some of the prices out there! Do you think this will be good for a beginner and good for kids (aged 6 and 7)???

For campsites and beaches, and not going to go looking for gold the Equinox 600 would be the go, and save you some pennies.

For campsites and beaches, and not going to go looking for gold the Equinox 600 would be the go, and save you some pennies.

That was my first thought as well but there is only about $300 between the two. We won't be going on any gold prospecting expeditions but it might be fun to try and find a bit of gold in a creek.

FNQ said:

That was my first thought as well but there is only about $300 between the two. We won't be going on any gold prospecting expeditions but it might be fun to try and find a bit of gold in a creek.

If you can afford the Equinox buy it AND a 2nd hand Aldi on Gumtree. i saw one for $60-70. Let the kids trash that. It will take you a while to learn the Equinox & they have something to play with while you or the older kids are busy with it.

I've been hanging out for this release. Hopefully reviews are great for the Equinox. Then I can lie, pretend, make excuses and whatever else it takes to convince myself I desperately need to upgrade from the 705 :D

Dirtdiggin. Prices initially were expected to be $649 and $899 for the 600 and 800 respectively (US $). Converts to $1124 for the 800 which would be pretty awesome value. For some reason I thought they were going to be closer to $1500 here but I'm not sure where I saw that or if someone was guessing??

I know I always link to this particular website but the posts from Steve Hersbach on here are probably the best indication of what this thing can and can't do. Steve is an impartial tester and simply tells it how it is. And he tells us he's excited which is getting lots of others excited too :D

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/forum/53-minelab-equinox-fan-club/

I hope it is about $1100 here - I might not have to do so much convincing and grovelling :lol:

Latest posts