Australian Gold Maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So.... I've been looking at gold maps( detecting ones in particular ) I'm sure you know the ones I mean, the shop review is obviously good. But I read the feedback from consumers shoot them down in flames! Albeit a few, no less... Do they have merit ? Or do they think the purchase of a $15 map entitled them to ounces of gold sitting on the surface chinamen were to lazy to carry?i love maps and will be buying them anyway...
Just would like to know thoughts on said maps...

The only thing that beets a good map is local knowledge. I took a trip out to Hill End on the weekend and picked an out of the way gully from a map. I am only learning the detecting side of the game and though I did not find any gold I found very little ferrous trash and a number of black powder bullets. I will definitely be going back to that particular area.

Regards

Richard

I think maps have some merit as to historical location and if an area is gold bearing.
If an area is gold bearing then it could really be anywhere in the nearby region.

The amount of free info is amazing, the Australian Mines Atlas page shows all the
locations of known mineral deposits in Australia. You can click on a deposit and then
open that location in google maps with GPS co-ordinates.

Trove is great for finding out about gold rushes as they happened with the type of
gold being found and yields.

Have you guys seen the Google Earth overlays that Nugget posted here somewhere?

Has anybody seen what these maps are like?
The seller has 99% approval rating but one person commented Usless to me. Fire maps NOT gold maps, some maps ureadable, seller didn't reply.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austral...314857?hash=item2f117490e9:g:cNYAAOSw5HJXKpcB

1514605902_gold_maps.jpg

Hi. I have not seen the maps but don't let one person put you off. You can't please everybody. There can always be one knocker. I my self have been searching for good maps. I had one once a long time ago of an area but can't get it anymore.
Cheers Doug WD

Seen some of these & they were file compilations of maps, reports etc. that are freely available online or waypoints that are available free. One free waypoint source is updated by a member of another forum - I believe a lot of the ones for sale were originally ripped from there/him.
I suppose there's some work involved in compiling the information but then a lot of it wouldn't be required anyway or is just to fluff out the compilations. Have never seen them credit their "sources" either.
Had some hard copies a few years ago that were mailed out too. These turned out to be poorly printed/photocopied pages, that were barely readable, from an original text which can be downloaded free off the DIGS site for NSW. I was the sucker who purchased them buying into the sales pitches of "detailed area maps" & "hard to find maps & reports". Bit pissed when I realised that not only were they freely available but I had them already & the prints I already had were far better! They aren't detailed maps to boot. :rolleyes: lesson learnt for me.

IMO better to keep your money & ask on here about areas of interest. People here can usually point you in the right direction if looking for anything on an area & even give you some of their own advice free to go with it. Most states have some great resources to aid research if you're willing to put in some time.
Nothing you can buy is going to lead you to the end of the rainbow.....

There are plenty of mapping resources out there and no, not all of them have an X marks the spot or "Dig Here" on them. Quite often the problems are after having identified an area you think looks promising is how to actually get to the spot as some roads are marked on some maps but not others, is it available to prospect on or is it private land or National Parks land and so the list goes on.

One of the first places you should look is your own state mapping authority eg. I'm in NSW .... http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html and here you have all of NSW topographic available for free download.

Another very good resource is ..... http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .... obviously mainly slanted towards urban roads, look closely and there are also many fire trails and other unnamed roads.

The Windy weather map is excellent as it shows contour lines plus you can get a weather forecast for your intended area ..... https://www.windy.com .... now you can't download the maps from Windy directly, but you can download Windy Maps app directly to your device Apple/Android and then download the required map/s and have them with you at all times without needing a data connection.

Ive always used topo paper maps on all of the hikes that I went on in the past, but these days I travel to so many different areas that it is cost prohibitive to buy so many. I have a selection of goldfield maps by Stone, Barnham and Tully and they do serve their purpose but I like to explore new areas and whilst the online services are fantastic, I lose them as soon as I loose internet reception.

I suppose the best and cheapest way is to download the maps from maps.six and file them. Ive been using minview extensively for research and have found them invaluable. There is also a wealth of information at http://www.prospectinglocations.com/index.php.

Ive ordered a handheld GPS with a 10m contoured topographical map of Oz but it would be nice to use my laptop for prep work, particularly when Im remote.

Anolphart said:
Ive always used topo paper maps on all of the hikes that I went on in the past, but these days I travel to so many different areas that it is cost prohibitive to buy so many. I have a selection of goldfield maps by Stone, Barnham and Tully and they do serve their purpose but I like to explore new areas and whilst the online services are fantastic, I lose them as soon as I loose internet reception.

I suppose the best and cheapest way is to download the maps from maps.six and file them. Ive been using minview extensively for research and have found them invaluable. There is also a wealth of information at http://www.prospectinglocations.com/index.php.

Ive ordered a handheld GPS with a 10m contoured topographical map of Oz but it would be nice to use my laptop for prep work, particularly when Im remote.

You can download the NSW topo maps for free, nix, nada, zip, zilch ... in other words, not one brass razoo, no cost to you. They are in pdf format so not to big to store on your device.

http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html

BigWave said:
Then just geo reference them and you can use on your devices as "moving maps".

Yep, convert to .bmp or .png and then calibrate in something like OziExplorer.

Miners Den at parramatta would be closest for you - suggest Doug Stones maps for your desired goldfield

Edit...... or in your letterbox, via a trip to eBay

Latest posts