⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluecurrant said:

I wouldn't be certain that fossicking is covered by this act. Fishing is basically a benign activity, opposed to fossicking where digging and subsequent disturbance of the river bed takes place.

This right to fish is conferred by

The NSW Fisheries Management Act 1994 No 38

Part 2, Division 5, Section 38

Right to fish in certain inland waters

(1) A person may take fish from waters in a river or creek that are not subject to tidal influence despite the fact that the bed of those waters is not Crown land if, for the purpose of taking those fish, the person is in a boat on those waters or is on the bed of the river or creek.

(2) The right conferred by this section is subject to the other provisions of this Act.

(3) In this section, bed of a river or creek includes any part of the bed of the river or creek which is alternatively covered and left bare with an increase or decrease in the supply of water (other than during floods).

As you have posted this under the alluvial thread I therefore have to assume that you meant for the fishing act to be interpreted as also applying to alluvial mining. Now as I said at the outset, I'm not certain that this would be the case and the act apply to fossicking.

Gday whisp, I carry a copy of this when bass fishing. As alot of my spots are thru private land. Who would be the gov body to ask if this law of passage would apply with fossiking. Ie access. Thanks

Bluecurrant said:
Gday whisp, I carry a copy of this when bass fishing. As alot of my spots are thru private land. Who would be the gov body to ask if this law of passage would apply with fossiking. Ie access. Thanks

The fishing part of it is fine, I'm not sure how an overly exuberant ranger would see that. "A-Hah, gotcha, you is sposed to be fishing but you is mining". Mind you on private land the likelihood of getting busted is I reckon, next to none.

I just wanted to point out that the fishing access right may not automatically allow you to mine a farmers creek.

This has I think to do with riparian rights, those rights are that if there is more than one land owner on a river or stream, one can't commandeer all the water with out sharing and allowing access to that water.

P.S.

In situations of very old freeholds, ownership/lease of land can extend to the centre of the waterway and landowners on either side may have jurisdiction over half the waterway each. On a limited number of waterways most notably in NSW, being on a river that passes through a farm could lead you to trespassing.

1511963234_awesome_gold_panning.jpg

This is just one of the last pans in my vid, from the hot spot when I was crevicing with my dad. lol
Awesome morning, its on the youtube anyway. :p

Went for a quickie today. Im running out of crevices as i have cleaned most of the crevices out. We Need a flood up here. So i moved to the gravel bed and noticed a line of big rocks sweeping around the inside corner. So i panned the gravel around them and found this.
1514284617_img_2240.jpg
1514284837_img_2242.jpg
1514284912_img_2241.jpg
This has suprised me as all the chunkie gold was found in the top of the light and loose sands and there was only fine gold specs 4 inches down on the clay layer underneath. I have been throwing this fine and loose sand away as overburden. Why would large gold be on top and fine gold underneath. :| any answers would be grateful as this doesnt make sense to what i been learning about gold. Thanks

Nice looking flood gold Steve. Wow, would love to be into that stuff. Nice easy panning mate. Looks like you guys will be building up a sweat relieving the creek of its treasure. Well done. Let us know when you get your first kg. Hope that bend produces big time for you.

Cheers

Les

Ill definitly come and have a dig with you before i reach the 1kg mark. By that stage ill be to old to dig anymore. Im definitly coming down this new year to catch up with you and hopefully meet some more PA members aswell. Im getting lonely up here havent seen a sole since your visit. Im starting to talk to the cicadas lol. Have a safe and happy new year Les and PA members. I hope your pans shine bright with gold.

Latest posts