Pin pointers - average detection range

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

How far do you reckon your pin pointer can pick up a 5 cent coin from? I'd reckon my chinese cheapy can do it from about an inch. How do the more expensive ones fair?

The other thing is the directionality of the field. I reckon mines around half an inch horizontal, probably less.

So what does yours do?

Thanks!

Just tried my Garrett pro pointer 2 and it picks up a 5c piece from 2 inches at the tip and 2 inches from the sides.My wedding ring on the other hand ( no pun intended) it will only pick it up from under an inch from the tip and from 2 inches from the side of pinpointer.Interesting.A little coin purse with about 20 coins in it sets off the beeps at close to 4 inches.

my minelab propointer 35 does anywhere from two n half in up to 4in depending on soil
Marauder said:
Hi Guys,

How far do you reckon your pin pointer can pick up a 5 cent coin from? I'd reckon my chinese cheapy can do it from about an inch. How do the more expensive ones fair?

The other thing is the directionality of the field. I reckon mines around half an inch horizontal, probably less.

So what does yours do?

Thanks!

A Pin pointers range depends a lot on it's frequency and the target type, most 12 to 14khz PP's are good on coins where PP's that are in the 30Khz + range are better for nuggets, one thing to note is that just because a PP hits a coin at 3 to 4 inches does not make it a good choice, the Idea of a pin pointer is to zero in on a target, because if it has too much power then it will signal off of any other things that are in the same hole, the power of pin pointers is closely related to it's frequency, And yes you can turn down the power but when you do that you loose sensitivity to tiny targets the lower the frequency the more range it has and vice versa. but higher frequency pin pointers are better for tiny targets, becacuse you can run them up high and still not be over loaded with signals,

hope this helps.

J,

I just tested my Garrett Propointer AT and it was probably about 5cm. I really like the propointer, it detects from a decent distance, great for beach hunting when trying to recover targets quickly so you can get going on to the next target.

Pistol Probe will pick up five cents at 4 inches at the tip and 2 inches on the sides when running with no threshold and silent under all ground conditions. Despite being a PI probe it still manages 1 grain at 3/4 inch at the tip and 1/2 inch at the sides. Any targets too small for the probe are catered for by a plastic scoop. Ideal for prospecting and coin hunting under most conditions. Quality is poor compared to Minelab and Garrett probes. Sensitivity is adjustable so it can be run hot with threshold or detuned and silent etc, take two nine volt batteries which seem to run forever.
It is not waterproof and does not stand up to rough treatment. Design is awkward and unless you do cosmetic changes it can be mistaken for something else... But I still like it.
1513774802_probe1.jpg

All the best,
Karelian

Latest posts