Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DetectingSA said:
What's your price range? The Garrett AT pro international is around $1100 and fully waterproof upto 10ft and apparently is very good on wet sand and salt water.

I think you have been mislead - the AT Pro is NOT very good on wet sand or in salt water, which Garrett themselves make quite clear in the AT Pro user manual. See my linked post for more details:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=365702#p365702

grubstake said:
DetectingSA said:
What's your price range? The Garrett AT pro international is around $1100 and fully waterproof upto 10ft and apparently is very good on wet sand and salt water.

I think you have been mislead - the AT Pro is NOT very good on wet sand or in salt water, which Garrett themselves make quite clear in the AT Pro user manual. See my linked post for more details:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=365702#p365702
Oh my mistake, thanks for the info, I don't want to mislead anyone.

The 705 is a more capable detector than any of the Ace series, simply down to the fact that the 705 has the ability to ground balance whereas the Ace 400i cannot. That essentially means that the 705 will operate more efficiently over more diverse ground conditions, whilst maintaining optimum depth capability. The Ace has a preset ground balance, and will as a result will struggle in some areas.

Probably better off categorising the Ace series as beginner detectors, the 705 being able to run different frequency coils, having adjustable ground balance, more tone and discrimination options, screen backlighting etc makes it a more advanced option.

Having said that, if beach detecting was your primary objective, I'd have to agree with Phasetech on the use of a multi-frequency detector over the other two options (ie. Minelab Equinox, Safari, Etrac).

PI detectors like the CS4PI are great for operating on wet sand, but ultimately the lack the discrimination of the multi-frequency detectors (ie. You will be digging many junk targets with the CS4PI).

Just have to weigh up which machine offers the most performance benefits for your budget.

Hi guys new to the forum and relatively new to detecting and fossicking. I purchased a cheap eBay detector and have been out with it a few times around the golden triangle but have come up empty handed and have realised I have to buy a decent brand detector. Can anyone recommend any good models to find the yellow stuff around the 1k mark and if possible on your opinion in the detector. Thanks for your time and hope to speak to more of you as time goes by.
Regards,
Neil.

Thanks guys really helpful info. Yea I've noticed a lot of detectors people are using today are quite pricey but the finds seem to be good! Hopefully I'll end up upgrading in a couple years to a gpz or something along those lines.

Maybe go second hand some good machines out there. Just buy as good as you can .Do research lots of info on this forum. Look for extras coils picks and so forth.

Latest posts