Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question what do you guys think is better a wireless / blutooth setup with earplug or a new set of ear muffs.
cost of each would be good

Cheers

My stock Koss headphones failed after about 8 months because I didn't tape the lead and the cable got damaged. While they were getting repaired under warranty I tried ear plugs, found them too frustrating because they kept getting ripped out when you go through thick scrub.

So I got a pair of Gog Phones express posted from Nenad along with the adaptor lead. They arrived the day after I ordered them. They are much better than the stock headphones, especially for cutting down external noises such as wind noise on windy days as they cover your whole ears.

I think I will eventually go wireless when I can afford it but still use the Gog Phones. My only concern is battery life as the Minelab Pro-Sonic only states 10 hrs battery life ... what if I want to detect for 12 hours!

Dron said:
My stock Koss headphones failed after about 8 months because I didn't tape the lead and the cable got damaged. While they were getting repaired under warranty I tried ear plugs, found them too frustrating because they kept getting ripped out when you go through thick scrub.

So I got a pair of Gog Phones express posted from Nenad along with the adaptor lead. They arrived the day after I ordered them. They are much better than the stock headphones, especially for cutting down external noises such as wind noise on windy days as they cover your whole ears.

I think I will eventually go wireless when I can afford it but still use the Gog Phones. My only concern is battery life as the Minelab Pro-Sonic only states 10 hrs battery life ... what if I want to detect for 12 hours!

You won't manage even the 10 hours on SDC batteries anyway. We usually get about 6 hrs out of a set of batteries in the SDC so we have one set in, one set spare in the pocket and one set of batteries on charge.

Like with all wireless modules, they balance the weight with the battery life. Nenad tells me I'll get about 8 hours. I'm never going to detect for that long continuously.
But if I wanted more, I'd carry something like this, a USB battery power bank. Easily fits a pocket and can recharge during breaks.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/10000mah-type-c-quick-charge-3-0-power-bank/p/MB3725

The good thing with the Deteknix wireless headphones is that they can be connected via a cable as well as wireless. So with his adaptor lead, a cable with 1/4" one end and 1/8" the other, if the battery went flat, finish the day wired. Again easy fit to a pocket.

As I detect in the GT in winter, I'm rarely starting before 9a.m and usually finished by 4-5 pm with a lunch break, so I'm hoping I'll make it with the wireless. (Haven't used the 2300 yet)

Moneybox said:
You won't manage even the 10 hours on SDC batteries anyway. We usually get about 6 hrs out of a set of batteries in the SDC so we have one set in, one set spare in the pocket and one set of batteries on charge.

You are right of course, but spare batteries for the SDC are light to carry in a backpack. Nenad's Accupower cells last > 8 hrs and the stock minelab ones run for around 6 hours. Cheap ALDI batteries last anywhere from 4-6 hrs.

But recharging a wireless transmitter would require a trip back to the car, which sometimes means a few kilometers walk. I guess a small USB powerbank in the backpack would be the go, and just switch back to a corded setup until it's got enough juice.

Does anyone know if you can recharge the Deteknix WireFree WR or Minelab ProSonic from a powerbank while you are using it?

I'll let you know. I'll need to get everything out to try it. I don't see why not, however the charge cable that comes with the Deteknix is only 6" (15cm) long, so it would need a USB extension cable to allow the power bank to be in a pocket, i.e. shirt. The only issue I might foresee is interference.

I'll try it tomorrow, I have a powerbank and a USB ext. I'll post a pic......

I have the Minelab C cells as well as a set of Acupower from Nenad, so detector power is not an issue as the spare set are easily carried, I think I posted a pic of my battery tube on the above linked post.

It's handy for me dealing with Nenad as we both live in S.A. and been to each other's homes a couple of times. But, postage is not a big thing :)

Had a think about my previous post. In short, I'll change my answer to No.......

The wireless headphones consist of a transmitter module (rechargeable) and the headphones (also rechargeable). So if the phones are on charge from a power bank, via a USB cable on your person, how is the transmitter module recharged whilst using the detector. Another power bank, I don't think so and if the same one, you are back to being wired to the detector.

Back to the previous suggestion, just connect the phones to the detector via an audio lead. An hour or 2, if needed, none wire free is no big deal and a lot cheaper.

The other thing that concerns me is, any battery is better charged when No Load is on it, so although a power bank will recharge both the transmitter and the phones at the same time (mine has duel outlets) I'd do that when not using them and switched off. They'll recharge quicker anyway.

As I have a solar recharged caravan battery, with duel USB socket connected to it, I'll recharge the Deteknix when I get in for the night, along with 2 mobile phones and mobile WiFi etc. The drain to recharge all of that is bugger all. Plus carry an audio lead if needed.

If all you have is the car battery, then use a USB power can as often as possible when driving to recharge.

Edit - The only thing I haven't checked is if there is any audio difference between wireless (switched on) and the direct audio cable with the phones off. I will.

Checked the Deteknix this morning -

1. I connected the transmitter, switched everything on, the headphones have volume control, so I maxed them out and took note of the volume.

2. I switched off the Tx and the phones, disconnected the transmitter, from Nenad's patch lead and connected the phones to the detector via an audio lead.

The result was slightly lower volume, but more than adequate. I'd only max out the volume on wireless in noisy windy conditions anyway.

The Deteknix kit comes with an audio lead, it has 3mm plugs either end, which is what the headphone socket size is. However, the socket in the patch lead is 6mm, so you will, as I have, need to go to Jaycar or similar and get an adaptor. It is a Gender Bender reduction 6mm plug with a 3mm socket

1513043391_adaptor.jpg

One of the problems with the SDC2300 is the type of plug used on the headphones. I'm guessing the majority of us never submerge the machine yet we all have to put up with this useless fragile little connection.

Phase tech make a nice little adapter cable but it's still a weak point. We have three of these adapter cables, all are going back for repair. It's not that it's a poor cable, although the internal wires might not be flexible enough, it's just that we are still left with the same lousy connection to the detector.

1513232030_socket2.jpg

I have a question for the electronically wise out there "Can we have a standard 1/4" audio jack wired in?"

1513232050_socket.jpg

Even if the socket was on a wire passing through a grommet in the SDC housing it would sort out a weak point in the SDC.

MB I think the plug is only the type it is for water proof purpose You could as you say run a cord into SDC body but would need to use something as below that has an o ring seal that tightens on cable . I would say warranty dead but after doing mod. Have used Nenads adaptor cable for several years now with no issue but have cable end anchored to cover so no load is on the actual adaptor lead ?

1513246738_grommet.jpg

I've spoken to Nenad re the OEM connector and alternatives a while back, the issues are;

1. Using the supplied headphones and it's socket restricts use to those headphones only. A given.
2. Changing the socket in the machine will void the warranty.
3. Using Nenad's adaptor, allows any 6.3mm jack plug to be used, to suit phones, earbuds or wireless. Or, with a 6.3 plug to 3.1 socket adaptor as well just about anything audio.

The length of the cable in the adaptor allows for multiple configurations and wisely placed, left and/or right hand use. Tucking it into the cover and cable tied to it, removes any stress on the machine socket. It's a balancing act to pick the right length, but I would imagine Nenad has given some thought to its length.

My 2300

1513250292_20170928_154521.jpg

You can just see the socket of the adaptor at the arrow. The cable goes to the rear and then loops back to the front (hidden inside the cover). Mine is quite well hidden and no cable ties as I'm using the wireless phones, and the cable from the connector to the transmitter is easily and neatly tucked in with out tying anything. However, were I to use cabled phones, I'd punch 2 small holes in the canvas cover, to place a cable tie in each. The Tx is Velcro fixed to the front of the handle, so there is absolutely no stress on the audio cables or snags to catch. (To facilitate removal when charging the Tx)

I've seen Nenad's machine and his adaptor lead is secured via cable ties, to the cover.

Bogger said:
MB I think the plug is only the type it is for water proof purpose You could as you say run a cord into SDC body but would need to use something as below that has an o ring seal that tightens on cable . I would say warranty dead but after doing mod. Have used Nenads adaptor cable for several years now with no issue but have cable end anchored to cover so no load is on the actual adaptor lead ?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1513246738_grommet.jpg

We also have the adapter cable anchored to some extent but we work together and regularly unplug it to use the detector on speaker. If the adapter cable is plugged into the detector socket it cuts out the internal speaker. Removing the headphones from the adapter plug just mutes the machine, no good if you are trying to shoot a video or showoff a target in the hole. I damaged the last one when I stood up with my foot on the curly cable. It must have broken one of the four little wires on the detector end of the adapter cable.

I spoke to a Minelab technician this morning. They definitely won't consider any type of modification. If they see that a machine is modified in any way they return it without repair.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in changing the socket. Our SDC must be nearly out of warranty anyway and even though it needs to be reasonably well sealed we will never submerse the machine. There's not a lot of space around the plug so I think the best option would be a tight rubber grommet or a bulkhead fitting like Bogger has illustrated and a short lead with the 1/4" socket on the end.

As long as the internal speaker will still activate when the audio jack is not in use.

Moneybox said:
Bogger said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1513246738_grommet.jpg

We also have the adapter cable anchored to some extent but we work together and regularly unplug it to use the detector on speaker. If the adapter cable is plugged into the detector socket it cuts out the internal speaker. Removing the headphones from the adapter plug just mutes the machine, no good if you are trying to shoot a video or showoff a target in the hole. I damaged the last one when I stood up with my foot on the curly cable. It must have broken one of the four little wires on the detector end of the adapter cable.

I had a similar issue, so now that I have the Rx device, can swap it out for another that feeds to a receiver module connected to an external speaker on my harness. I also made up a patch lead to include a B&Z booster.

Pulling the Tx off its Velcro pad and unplugging is easily done and the other is easily carried in a pocket.

The main reason I have both with me is that I find headphones on all day to be uncomfortable. Changing to speaker gives a welcome break for an hour or so.
Wind and temp also dictate which I use - windy = headphones, too warm = sweat after a while, so fresh air for a break.

BTW, reason for 2 Tx, 1 Rx modules and the wireless phones is that if I use only 1 Tx, I'd need to re-pair each time I swap from phones to speaker. The extra Tx means they remain paired to their respective receiver. It also doubles my available wireless audio to about 16 hours.

I like many others find it difficult to hear the inbuilt speaker so far from an ear and on the outside of the detector when swinging RH, hence the extension wireless kit.

Thought I'd show my setup, it may give others ideas for their own SDC. Here are some pics and info

1513428334_1-gpx5000.jpg

This is my Pro-swing harness, normally used for my GPX 5000, I do use headphones by unplugging the patch lead from the battery and tucking the lead behind the back of the harness.
1513428334_2-sdc2300.jpg

The wireless Deteknix Rx is Velcro fixed to the chest strap, I made up a small patch lead to use the B&Z as shown. Or I can remove the patch and plug the speaker direct to the Rx. I also have a backpack with water bladder and will likely use this in preference to my Pro-swing, as the SDC is lighter to swing and the pack allows me to carry spare SDC batteries, power bank, leads etc as well as lunch.
1513428679_3-plug.jpg

This shows how Nenads adaptor tucks into the detector cover.
1513428679_4-tx.jpg

This shows the position of the headphone Tx on the handle (Velcro), the other Tx for speaker is identical and quick and easy to change.
1513428680_5-wired.jpg

This shows the wireless headphones, switched off and using the lead provided with the phones and an enlarger adaptor, again quick and easy.
1513428680_6-phones-tx.jpg

This is my power bank, it has 2 outlets, 1 is rated at 1.0A the other at 2.1A. The provided 240VAC USB adaptor plug is also rated to 2.0A, so 1 device will charge quicker than the other from the power bank. However, I have a better supply at end of day in the caravan, so this may only get used whilst out. (It will also do my mobile ph.)
1513428680_7-tx-rx.jpg

This is what I would charge if using speaker.

I learned or picked up some ideas from others, so hope this helps.... :)

Looks good condor22. In fact so good that it's easy to see that it's never spent a season in the WA goldfields. We need rugged simple setups that can handle severe environments where any equipment comes back looking decidedly second hand. The more bits you add the more chance of something failing in the field. Unfortunately the SDC still has problems in its standard form. The audio jack is a weak link that I'd like to eliminate.

Agreed, BTW it's never spent a season in any goldfield as I didn't buy it that long ago, so I guess I'll find out how rugged on my next trip out next year. :)

Also, as I'm retired and not that flushed with money, I tend to look after my gear as I can't afford to replace it. Apart from the cover and skid plates my 5000 after 4 years of use in the GT, still looks like new.

I try to "use" not "abuse" so my setup will work for me.........

I would like to detect WA, but it's too far for me to go in my circumstances.

Moneybox said:
Looks good condor22. In fact so good that it's easy to see that it's never spent a season in the WA goldfields. We need rugged simple setups that can handle severe environments where any equipment comes back looking decidedly second hand. The more bits you add the more chance of something failing in the field. Unfortunately the SDC still has problems in its standard form. The audio jack is a weak link that I'd like to eliminate.

Yes MB I don't think I have done a trip yet that when I return doesn't involve modifying something in some way that it's more "user friendly" in the field. This can vary from the way I mount machines on the quad to something as simple as how a cable is routed or in fact even used. This was the only reason I went from Deteknix to pro sonic as less rubbish hanging of me having the speaker incorporated in receiver. Originally I felt like a xmas tree at times and becomes frustrating over a day out with all the shite getting in the way of business :rolleyes: The harness has also undergone a major strip down from the original set up that at first resembled that what you would find on a pack horse :eek: ;) I actually found in the end it was easier to have two or three harness set ups that I use situation and machine determining which is chosen ................ saves carrying what at many times amounts to just wasted weight
I always try to make it as simple as possible so that max time can be spent with coil over ground without sacrificing reliability or function. I think like yourself in a nutshell the SDC audio system in it's entirety is it's biggest let down with limited volume and even the positioning of the plug half way down the machine is a pain.

Latest posts