Auto/self feeding attachment for a sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might work ok with the right material, I tend to wet classify so not 100% sure on how that would work if you didn't drain the water, I'm thinking it would make it very hard to control the feed rate. Either way, some folk are pretty clever at jerry rigging up these ideas. I have been watching quite a few youtube vids on gravity fed water delivery. Some of the yanks are like mad scientists running up to 6" pipes 100 feet or more to feed their bankers, amusing to watch......they are so committed to getting it perfected as in some states they have had to deal with no electric/fuel water pumps for quite a while now.

I couldn't take the job away from my site manager anyway lol, she absolutely loves feeding the sluice and sure lets you know when she sees colour in the vortex cells. Last adventure she was hollering out that there were some big flakes in the top few cells of the mat, next thing some punters who we had seen earlier panning about 100m upriver from us came trotting down to us for a look told us they had not had any luck and then proceeded to fill buckets and pan pretty much right where I was working! To the point I had to zig zag around them to get 20l buckets of pay to the sluice.

I had to stop and ask a guy to give me some room when he picked up my crowbar and an upturned bucket and moved them so he could get to the better pay dirt that I had busted and piled up. I had turned my back for about a minute to go grab a cold water from the esky! I knew what they were up to and I had even gone to the measure of placing a few 20l buckets in an arc around where I was working.

I said to her later, it's like fishing, make sure you don't advertise honey!

Yeah it could be hard to control flow, but with a few adjustments it could work great.

That's terrible what happened to you with those people 'claim jumpers'. I have seen some people like that before, but nothing like people going into your hole and using your tools without at least asking! Not cool! :N:

sorry mate but you are way to diplomatic for me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
does this ring a bell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
About 10 minutes into it everything changed, buckets were flying ... people were bleeding.

Ahh its all good mate, I got a bit off track but was just having a laugh about my missus feeding the sluice and her energetic advertising lol

They didn't stay for long, they managed a few buckets of my material but I think they got the hint, I actually straight up said to them. "Mate an upturned bucket is not an invitation to jump onto another man's bit of ground, it's an unwritten rule that we don't prospect out of each other's pockets even if we are on crown land" They were foreign or new Australians? (didn't ask) so I gave them some slack.

I told them that if they had come and asked I would not have had an issue, that I prob would have fed the sluice for half an hour and tossed some gold in a vial for them. I have done it in the past for a few nicer tourists that were genuinely gracious for a few tips and the chance to run a banker or sluice, even just a few tips panning. I have run into a lot of people that have never even seen a banker in action.
I enjoy having a chat to break the day up a bit and get a kick out of sharing a few flakes in a vial, with the right people.

I have even given a Garrett 10" Backpacker pan I barely used and a linen bag of prob 2kgs of cons to a little fella around 10 that was struggling with one of those Bushtracks pans with the ridges rather than riffles? I was out filling up a few bags of cons for a mate that has a really bad back and loves the idea of prospecting but its way beyond his physical capabilities atm.

Been trying to find somewhere that can screenprint some of these bags,
1512983408_1k14_3_compact.jpg

with some of these images for example.
1512983521_small.jpg

I'm not looking to sell them or anything, just give them away to mates and even you good blokes on the forum.

Haha yeah, it was odd of them to move my buckets and crowbar though I'll give you that!

7.62, it wasn't written as having a go at the people, but written to express how odd it would've been to have this happen.

They were probably having an unlucky day and not finding anything :/ or it could've been a rare chance to go prospecting, so they wanted some gold or something like that.
I can now see how it's written in a firm, angry sort of manner and I won't next time lol.
Anyway, sorry if I sounded like a diplomat, I didn't intend in doing so.

Nah Jack he was talking about me and nah he was not having a go lol I trade pm's with Marksman more than I do with anyone else on here, sorry I got this topic way-way off track lol, I didn't mean to hijack it.

Ok Chris, I understand you now. It was probably their first time or something like that.
That's extremely kind of you to give out some gold to tourists and others, and to give out some concentrates and a pan to someone!

I can't because I don't get out often because of school, not old enough to drive (I'm 15 almost 16) and live an hour and a 1/2 drive to a decent location. I've been prospecting/collecting rocks since I was 8, so almost half my life lol.

You could see email or message John from Aussie Bloke Prospector on YouTube, or Eureka Prospecting as he has bags just like that with his logo printed on them for paydirt bags. He's a very nice guy and I'm sure he can direct you to the printer of the bags.
- Jack

:Y: That one looks awesome, the feed is really consistent. From Italy huh? Can't find a manufacturers page for it though. So when can you knock me up one for the 12" Dustin? :D

That one is nice and consistent! Would love to see the design on the inside.
Might try and make one similar to the bucket, but the way it feeds will be different as his one just feeds in a straight line through the middle of the sluice. - Jack

AussieChris said:
:Y: That one looks awesome, the feed is really consistent. From Italy huh? Can't find a manufacturers page for it though. So when can you knock me up one for the 12" Dustin? :D

not sure, this is from one of the french facebook pages im on, these guys come up with some cool stuff they are all working on self feed type buckets right now, must be the hot topic in Europe.

its not in the plans anytime soon mate, got too much on my plate already, always new products in the pipeline mate

G0lddigg@ said:
AussieChris said:

not sure, this is from one of the french facebook pages im on, these guys come up with some cool stuff they are all working on self feed type buckets right now, must be the hot topic in Europe.

its not in the plans anytime soon mate, got too much on my plate already, always new products in the pipeline mate

Yeah understandable mate, looks like it would be a bugger to reverse engineer too.

Haha I have seen you have a couple of run-ins with the Frenchies on Youtube :p

The designer of the original one I posted has had a company buy his design and made a new auto classifier. It looks like it would work good, but how it distributes the material down the middle of the sluice needs an upgrade :|
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/qx13LB2JTow[/video]

Latest posts