⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice colour in that quartz Nugs! It looks similar to the stuff I get, but it's darker. That colour would look good cut, I haven't been able to find any like that where I go. Here's some of the tourmaline from the weekend:
1512964588_pc111016.jpg

Schist with something in it. The rock on the right has a cube and you can see a gap where I pulled one out that was a cube. The rock on the left I was hoping they were garnets, but I think it's probably the same stuff as in the other rock, just a bit more weathered so they don't look like cubes any more.
1512965622_pc111016-1.jpg

Normally when I look for things in schist all I find is schist... but this one has something in it. Not really a cube, more of a rectangle.
1512966108_pc111016-2.jpg

Heatho said:
The orange ones are most likely zircons or garnets Nugs, will need a better pic to be sure though.

Let us know what you think they are? :Y:
1513602684_dsc_0954.jpg

Cool rocks your picking up 22shells, love the tourmaline, you get any colours other than black out there? Some serious mineralogy going on in that pyrite hematite siderite limonite stuff! :Y: :Y:

Thanks Nugs, could be zircons you've got there? Pretty sure all the tourmaline is black, but I think the SA museum might have a bit of elbaite so you never know what you might find. Would love to find some green tourmaline but it's all black- I have a couple bits of green tourmaline I bought at a gem show but it's not the same as finding them yourself. Last weekend I found heaps of small garnets and a rock with good blue that I think might be peacock ore.

Probably is azurite Heatho, I'll call it whatever you think it is! Yeah there are a few copper mines around. I just picked it up cos it was blue, didn't really know what it was.

Tried to entice the family into some fossicking time - unfortunately there has been no measurable increase in patience over the last 12 months - only managed 3 specs of panned gold, a couple of fuggets and no sapphires before moving on 8.(

But :rainbow: an afternoon escape to the Vulcan SF in the evening produced some nice smokeys :party:

1515056586_img_0321.jpg

Heatho said:
Nice work mate, I'm hanging to get out for a dig but it just hasn't worked out in my favour lately.

Hope the eye candy inspires a trip Heath.

Don't forget to put Gemfest on your 2018 calendar, still a couple of months to get a trip organised.