⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice stones Big Red. Found this today while looking for kyanite, anyone know what it is? Is it just mica? Looks different to the normal mica.
1510911733_pb171019.jpg

Nice find. Give it a scratch with your fingernail, if its mica there will be a mark. kyanite is a bit harder and should not mark from a fingernail.
But i think you may have found what you were after.

Seems a bit harder than the normal "mirror-like" mica and can't scratch it easily, but it's in flaky layers a bit like mica. Looks good under the microscope, has a bit of a "crystallized" look to it if that makes sense. Hope it's not asbestos. I really need to try and find some with a bit more blue in it.

7.62 I ended up giving it to a retired geologist mate of ours for safe keeping.
I emailed the company with a picture of the piece and told them they should check what they send out for tumbling more carefully, they were I think relived that I didn't want to take it further and thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Was Asbestos Found in the Area?.. Most Asbestos has a Fibrous Nature... Most, not All :rolleyes: ...

Looks like Kyanite to me.... Kyanite will fade in the Sunlight, so if you Dig down you may find some Better Stuff..... :Y:

You are Lucky, Wishful, that I was right and Didn't have to run down your street Naked... :lol: ]:D 8) :cool:

LW....

Tried to find some more this weekend, only got one small low grade sample. Got some OK tourmaline schorl crystals, about a dozen with terminated ends and a couple double terminated. Some tourmaline in schist speccies. Then while looking through schist found some with what looks to be pyrite cubes in it. Wonder if anything else could be in that schist?

Hey guys, did some rockhounding on the way back from Gunnedah the other week!
I was stoked with some of the sapphires me and my partner found ( was our first time looking for sapphires!!) Luckily managed to sniff out a little pocket of smoky quartz too!

1512907028_dsc_0907.jpg

1512907088_dsc_0910.jpg

1512907562_dsc_0933.jpg

HEY 22shells would be cool to see some photos of the tourmaline and the dice?!
Also can anyone tell me what the red/orange rocks we found with our sapphires are?
I love rocks.... :Y: