CTX madness 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
caparobertsan said:
Heatho said:
Thanks B5.

Hey Wally, nah no karats in the carrot. :( I actually used to go to school with a girl who's surname was Karat, guess what colour hair she had..... :D Yep you guessed it bright red. :lol:

Cheers Cappa, I only go to the bank when I need to run my grubby coins through their nice clean coin counting machine. :)

I recon I should just go there with partially cleaned coins. Would they count correctly?

I'm pretty sure they do. I always give my coins a wash in water to get any dirt or sand off them but don't do any further cleaning. I get a few rejects from the coin counter but not too many. The counted results seem to be pretty consistant, usually between $900 and $1000 from a mostly full ice cream container.

Heatho said:
caparobertsan said:
Heatho said:
Thanks B5.

Hey Wally, nah no karats in the carrot. :( I actually used to go to school with a girl who's surname was Karat, guess what colour hair she had..... :D Yep you guessed it bright red. :lol:

Cheers Cappa, I only go to the bank when I need to run my grubby coins through their nice clean coin counting machine. :)

I recon I should just go there with partially cleaned coins. Would they count correctly?

I'm pretty sure they do. I always give my coins a wash in water to get any dirt or sand off them but don't do any further cleaning. I get a few rejects from the coin counter but not too many. The counted results seem to be pretty consistant, usually between $900 and $1000 from a mostly full ice cream container.

mmmm,I will have to wait until my Coffee jar fills up.... :Y: :Y: :Y:

Hit Queenscliff beach yesterday and scored a few coins, there's never usually that much up that end of Manly though did manage to get a sixpence, ended up with about $15. Hit South Curl Curl this morning, dunno why, I breally hate detectimng that beach but hadn't been there for a while. There's a lot of concrete structure under the sand that is obviously full of steel and the CTX just goes crazy over it. Anyway I flogged along that beach for an hour or so and only managed to get about 4 bucks, then got a tiny gold coloured ring, not sure if it's gold, probably just plated, then a few feet away got a chunky 10g silver ring. Weird that there were no other rings on the whole beach then bang, two rings nearly together...

Also got a bottle opener ring. :D

1512616043_20171207_122625.jpg

1512616043_20171207_124620.jpg

1512616043_20171207_125548.jpg

1512616043_20171207_125618.jpg

Then got home and after lunch the postie arrived with one of my birthday presents from my mum, a $5 silver coin commemorating the battle of Beersheba which is pretty cool as one of our relatives commanded 3 Lighthorse regiments at various times during WW1.

1512616221_20171207_133534.jpg

Bugger it, I'm claiming the small ring as gold, it's got a very very worn hallmark on it and it's not plated as I gave one edge a good rub on a ceramic tile, the streak test is golden and there is no colour change under the surface, seems golden all the way through.

It's only 0.7g but the CTX picked it up at about 15cm deep no worries.

Hit Shelly Beach at Manly this morning and gridded the whole beach over 2 hours before it got too packed, got $72.20 and a small sterling silver manta ray pendant. I usually hit this spot every 3 months or so, it seems to have replenished quite nicely, it's a pretty popular beach for detectorists, glad I got back there before anyone else did. :D

1512953203_20171211_113131.jpg

1512953204_20171211_113139.jpg

ktmman said:
The early detectorist gets the something something...
Chocolate abd Prickles if it's still dark lol. :eek:
Nice ray Heatho is it a Manta or a sting ,.... thought it mighta been a Steve Irwin memorial type thing :Y:

Sure do KTMman, people keep telling me Shelly Beach is hopeless, I keep telling them that they just need to get there before I do. :)

Manta ray Silver, ha, could be a Steve tribute, lol. Awww poor Steve. I remember watching his very first show, his missus screaming in a small tinnie when a big croc surfaced near them, him getting all excited in the certain way he did. I'm thinking is this bloke for real??? Then he stands up and jumps in and starts wrestling the croc while shouting out "ohhh geez it's a bit big"...... His missus screaming even louder, with me thinking WTF did I just see. :D All I could think was "what a goose". Though now I will admit Steve Irwin definitely grew on me over the years, pretty decent bloke I reckon.

Latest posts