New Guy and better half getting into prospecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. My wife and I are getting into prospecting and intend to do both Detecting and panning. I am now 70 and not very fit but I feel that prospecting in these ways can only be good for me. My wife is also very excited to be doing this as we are sick of just being stuck at home all the time. It is good to get away and prospecting gives us a reason to go whether fe fing gold or not. I really do want to find some but if I don't, its still a reason to take off for a while. Our intention is to use the detectot during the cooler months and hit the creeks during the hotter season. That way we can be comfortable while doing it. I have been to Wedderburn during the summer years ago and it is too hot and dry for us. I had a Garrett detector years ago but did not find anything but I expect that that will change as now I am studing up on the things I need to know and would like to learn from others.
I live in Cranbourne Vic and would like to know if it would be a good idea to join a club. Does anyone know of a good one close by. Also looking for a good place to start in thewest gippsland area to start with.
We have purchased a high banker sluice to allow us to do some reasonable work and just now purchased a Desert Fox wheel to do a cleen up at the end of a day to try and recover all we can. I still need to learn panning but I am sure we can sort that ut as we go.
Because I am very mechanical minded and a tinkerer I have intrest inn building my own Miller Water Table and have been studing up on them. Most seem to use a rubber mat like a hobby cutting mat for the wash bed but I can't seem to find where I can get one about A3 in size with no grid markings. I have a thought of using opaque green perspex but thinking it may be too smooth so wondering of putting a layer or two of latex on it. My idea is that by doing so it may just give enough surface tension to help catch any small gold. I will try it and see how it works. Anyone have any ideas or comments. I would love to hear them.
Good prospecting to everybody out there.

Hi and welcome to you both
lots to read on here and ask lots of questions
1512550340_18.jpg

Hi mr & mrs wombat welcome to the forum and the great hobby of prospecting. I am in gippsland as well and you may do well working the creeks but you will probably struggle with the detector locally.
Jim

Hi Jim.
Yes, I am aware that the best prospecting for Gippsland is in the creeks and that is where you will find me in the hotter weather. I will also look around Ballarat in the creeks. All my detecting will most likely be in the triangle. There is not much water about there so itt means basicly detector only. Variety is good for you anyhow.
Cheers
Doug

Welcome wombat digger!
I myself have just joined up and found these fellas to be a wealth of knowledge. You'll learn heaps and the search function is a great friend!

Hi wombat digger,
Welcome to site, I have only just joined myself and new to prospecting so will leave others to advise
Cheers Jamie

G'day wombats,
Very little gold in Gippsland, 2 spots I am aware of. 1. 50km SE Korumburra 2. 50km SE Wonthaggi. Look for quartzy soil. Apart from that you can start in the small creek at Walhalla (everyman and his dog been there).

Hi Mr & Mrs Wombat

Welcome to the best forum on the web. Read, ask questions , post and enjoy.