Creswick creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the rain of the last few days has had an impact. :eek:

Was out in the Creswick Forest today - Slaty Creek is flowing the strongest I've seen in the last two months with about 7-8 inches depth flowing over Campground 3 Ford.

Mopoke Gully was running steadily at the junction with Slaty Creek at Campground 2.

Didn't dip the sluice in and stuck to panning and got a small amount of colour. :)

Out yesterday and already the flows had dropped from late last week.

Back to a couple inches over ford at Campground 3.

Mopoke at Campground 2 was little more than a dribble.

Hi Everyone I am hoping to get out to Slaty Creek this weekend, has anyone been there lately and can update me on the water situation at the moment?

hey mate i was out there a week ago plenty of water around, it was raining too so dont expect the runoff will subside any time soon. good luck

Was out on Monday and Tuesday. Mopoke was dry apart from a few puddles. Slaty and Cotty Creeks both still flowing. Sawpit Gully was pretty stagnant from Wolfe's Road upstream.

We had a pretty solid period of rainfall during the last 24 hours in the Ballarat and Creswick area so I expect the creeks will benefit from that. Although last time there was a heavy fall in September Slaty levels at Campground 3 Ford subsided about 5 inches (from 8 to 3) after about 3 days.

Lots of people out and about in the creeks the last few weeks.

Hi Vombat !
Wondering if you've ventured out lately and have some updates. My guess all systems are still raging torrents.
Replenishing all the river beds with color :Y:

Thnx GG

I'll give you guys the tip, the pay streak (superfine loads of it) over the past 5 years has moved into the s bends above camp 3, further to the wall of camp three then last flood before last the pay moved to the fallen tree down from camp 3 then re-concentrated below again, i took a few lads there we got 10 to 20 good colours per pan in the tail run from that bend. my bet that tail run that looks like a road below camp 3 will be loaded, your looking for the red material :) if you dig into clay and the water turns red your on good ground

goldengoose said:
Hi Vombat !
Wondering if you've ventured out lately and have some updates. My guess all systems are still raging torrents.
Replenishing all the river beds with color :Y:

Thnx GG

Hi GG,

Haven't been out since Wednesday last week when it was really only panning or highbankable with a pump. Weather has been pretty wet and overcast around the Creswick area. Hope to get out there Friday or Saturday.

Cheers,

Vombat

Was out in the Creswick forest over the weekend.

Slaty is alternating patches of surface trickle with sub-surface trickle and a few pools on the bends. Nothing flowing over any of the fords as the water level is way below them now.

Cotty and Sawpit have stopped flowing and there are just a few stagnant pools and crevices.

Latest posts