Headlamp information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Zebralight H603w floody beam li-ion. Ridiculously bright on high. Lightweight, programmable. $150 on ebay, $20 for batteries and $50 for a decent charger.

Perfect for detecting at night.

There is a lot of good information on headlights here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?6-Headlamps

1497180331_zebralight.jpg

Great thread guys and it's just saved me the confusion of the amount of different ones on Ebay I was looking at.
Happy to spend good dollars for a good product so I'll do some homework on the ones recommended here :Y:

Redfin said:
I snuck out to Autobarn yesterday and bought one, just wondering if you have tried rechargeable's or Lithium batteries, can't find any online info to state what it will take apart from Alkaline.

Give Korr a bell, or email, they are always willing to help.
I just use energisers, as I use lights minimalistically.

If you want a top end head torch at a bargain price check out the Crelant CH10
https://www.banggood.com/XML2-LED-4...rCh3qhQXTEAYYAiABEgISsfD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN
This torch will perform as well or better than torches costing many times its price. It runs off a single 18650 L-ion battery available from the same seller, just need a special charger which range from about $5 to $50.
I have had mine for a couple of years with no problems and my brother-in-law uses the same torch for a few hours most nights (professional fisherman) and has also had no problems. Check out the reviews, just google it.

Magilla said:
https://www.banggood.com/XML2-LED-4...rCh3qhQXTEAYYAiABEgISsfD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN
This torch will perform as well or better than torches costing many times its price. It runs off a single 18650 L-ion battery available from the same seller, just need a special charger which range from about $5 to $50.
I have had mine for a couple of years with no problems and my brother-in-law uses the same torch for a few hours most nights (professional fisherman) and has also had no problems. Check out the reviews, just google it.

Thanks Magilla ..................... just purchased one and already have the Accu power charger which charges Li ion so that's a bonus. Always good to be able to get good feedback rather than buying cold turkey. Bangood price is ten bucks cheaper than ebays best price :Y:

Bogger said:
Magilla said:

Thanks Magilla ..................... just purchased one and already have the Accu power charger which charges Li ion so that's a bonus. Always good to be able to get good feedback rather than buying cold turkey. Bangood price is ten bucks cheaper than ebays best price :Y:

No worries mate, you will be very happy with it. I have bought a few things from Bangood and never had an issue, always genuine and much cheaper than anywhere else. I have gone through a lot of head torches but this one is a ripper.

Magilla received Head Lamp and a great sturdy bit of gear plus good value for money ............... thanks again
:Y:

I've had a led lenser for 5yrs no problems. Used it so much and have original batteries still. Great brand in my eyes. And work payed for it so not sure on the price. Dropped plenty of times and had in all weather so its very durable.

We have Pelican 2760 headlamps, great lamp, numerous led settings inc infra red if you are sitting around chatting and don't wish to blind the person you are talking to. Tiltable headpiece, comfortable strap and very economical on batteries.
Cheers

I have one that I got off eBay,

It says it is high power headlamp, 3 x Cree t6

Got 3 bulbs, with 4 functions,

rechargeable battery,

It does me.

Goody

There is tonnes of information on LED Headlamps on this site:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?6-Headlamps

Anything that uses AA and AAA batteries is going to give you nowhere near as much light output as the new generation of headlights based on Lithium Ion batteries.

I have a Zebralight H600FW Mk III and a Mk IV. The output on the Mk IV is an insane 1616 lumens. When you compare that to the Led Lenser (approx 200lumens) and the Black Diamond (300 lumens) you can see the difference the Li-Ion batteries make. Plus they are lighter.

The trade off is you need a special charger, they get hot though, and they only run for about an hour on the highest setting, but I always carry a few spare batteries so I can detect for a few hours at night on the highest setting. They are fully programmable so you can trade off brightness for battery life. On the highest setting it's like having a portable sun strapped to your head.

The latest generation of head torches are High CRI which gives the light a more natural colour like natural daylight.

You will also need to decide if you want a floody or spot beam or a combination of the two. Floody is best for night detecting because of the wider beam angle and even lighting (no bright spots).

The cheap eBay versions will do the job but will have nowhere near the claimed Lumen output. They can be poorly made and use lower grade LEDs. Some of these cheap eBay headlamps claim as much as 6000 lumens light output which would be enough to set your head on fire. The actual lumen output is probably closer to 600lm.

A good high discharge 18650 battery costs about $20 and a good digital charger about $50.

Last year for Christmas I got my 2 cousins an Armytek Wizard Pro v3's each and they were very good, they were on special for around $150 each and came with a battery and magnetic USB charging cable included. On the highest setting they were blindingly bright(1800 lumens) but would only run for a few minutes before they got too hot and auto switched to a lower setting.

Anyhow I can highly recommend the Zebralight, they use them for things like sperlunking, jungle trekking, and mines Search and Rescue.

Latest posts