Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks mate but never fear it will happen sooner or later
reefer and the rest or us had a few good days and nights :lol: :lol: ]:D ]:D
but it was so easy to set up just love it (i am tech challenged)

Well folks I took the GM1000 down to one of our local beaches this morning for a couple of hours.

1507860166_gm1000beachfind.jpg

For the first lap I had the sensitivity set on 9 which gave me a lot of moaning and groaning and numerous indications on the bar scale. Soon learnt to ignore these and wait for the higher pitch signals. Found that when I swing the detector towards the water I would get more noise than swinging away from the water. I checked this by facing the other way as well. The closer that I worked to the water gave more noise. Working the drier sand was definitely the better option. Found bits of iron, d shackle, 20cent piece, bottle cap, bit of alloy and several stones. These stones are not quite as light on pumis and a bit darker in colour.

The next lap was in Auto plus sensitivity and about 95% of the noise and extraneous indications were eliminated. Found bottle cap, sinker, hook, trace, alloy, iron, washer, nut, stones and bit of wood with the 2 4" nails. Definitely more user friendly in this mode.

The deepest items were the sinker and 20 cent piece at about 15cm. One bottle cap (newer cleaner one) gave an iron signal while the older rusty one gave an alloy/gold indication. All the signals were a higher pitch.

I am no GM1000 guru and these findings are just what I have learnt this morning. Many more trips to the beach to learn more and then I will have to take it back out to try for gold again. I am not going to give up on it and after today I have more confidence in it's ability and mine. :) :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Hi all,
Just after a bit of advice regarding my GM this is my first detector so I don't really know what I'm doing with it,
I've been getting lots and lots of targets that disappear at all sensitivity levels once I dig down 6-8 inches, targets that will only sound off when swinging left over them not right.

I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm literally walking around in a circle chasing pings getting frustrated, the old saying is if you can find lead your on the money but It can't even pick up test shot I'm throwing on the ground :(

I've heard that there are a couple of guys in geelong that do newbie tours into the goldfields Would it be worthwhile going on one of these do you guys think?

Thanks all :)

Hi Haydos,

Go into the Minelab website and at the bottom of the home page are 4 sub headings. Click onto the Treasure Talk heading and highlight the Gold Monster 1000 heading on the left edge of the page. This will give you all articles on the GM 1000. There are some good reports by Johnathon Porter and others. The article below is quite good. Helped me out.

http://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbi...r-1000-methodology-manual-vs-auto-sensitivity

I hope that this will help you.

Cheers

Doug

Thanks for that link butterfingers, ahh sorry Doug lol, ill check it out. :Y:

This is probably the worst question to ask but mineralised ground? What does it mean? Lol

The only area that I can comfortably go into and not get lost is red gravel/sand, grey clay and lots and lots of quartz and large boulders what would you classify that sort of ground as?

Haydos said:
Hi all,
Just after a bit of advice regarding my GM this is my first detector so I don't really know what I'm doing with it,
I've been getting lots and lots of targets that disappear at all sensitivity levels once I dig down 6-8 inches, targets that will only sound off when swinging left over them not right.

I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm literally walking around in a circle chasing pings getting frustrated, the old saying is if you can find lead your on the money but It can't even pick up test shot I'm throwing on the ground :(

I've heard that there are a couple of guys in geelong that do newbie tours into the goldfields Would it be worthwhile going on one of these do you guys think?

Hi Mate
i have had mine for a month now and used it at Sunny Corner and never had a problem
if it pinged i dug and always got something (junk :lol: :lol: )
i also took it to the beach and it didnt like the wet sand much went crazy
but the dry sand was no problem found lots of junk and a 50c and a gold ring
all my settings on max
next time i go out i will play around a bit with the settings

There is always a chance you have a dud coil or machine. Hopefully not but? If there is someone nearby with one that you can check against? It would seem very strange that it won't even pick up bits of lead shot you are placing on the ground 8.(

However, if it is not a dud then maybe.

- running in manual sensitivity is often difficult - particularly in Oz. It is a very sensitive machine and will pick up hot rocks very easily. These same hot rocks will often 'ping', indicate left AND right on the meter and then after a few sweeps of the coil they will reduce in intensity or even disappear. Running in auto sensitivity may help or reducing manual sensitivity to 3 or 4 will sometimes be necessary. Even on these reduced settings it is still quite sensitive.

- on the locations that I have tried so far I cannot run in auto plus or any manual settings above about 6 - it is simply too sensitive and just picks up every little bit of mineralization. But in mild ground in the US and NZ some blokes are running in manual 10 and with really good coil control they have no issues.

- yes, read JPs notes in his treasure talk and the one about the sensitivity. They are both very informative. I don't follow JPs notes to the letter but they give you a good idea of how to troubleshoot if you are having issues.

- try both coils and see if you have the same issues (if you haven't already).

- battery fully charged, all cable connections nice and tight, cable secured well to the shaft - just little stuff but hopefully it is something as simple as that.

Hope that helps and good luck :Y:

Hi Haydos,
I am a novice as well ,
I have been out with My GM maybe half a dozen times.
What you need to remember is that they auto ground balance (when in Auto)
So if you swing over the same target long enough it will assume its just part of the ground.

What i recommend is to take it off auto once you have found a target.
Drop the sensitivity to where you can hear the target and so it will not buzz on every swing.

alternative you could keep it in auto then swing it a few feet away from the target for about a min then come back to the target.
This way it will ground balance without the target.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong?

Hope I have helped?

Good luck

Rob

RobbieMVFC said:
alternative you could keep it in auto then swing it a few feet away from the target for about a min then come back to the target.

Rob

Yes you can do this, but probably only need to do it for ten seconds or so.

When you are detecting if you get a signal and then after a few sweeps it goes away, this is the (permanent) Auto Tracking doing its thing. Move the coil off to the side of where you were just sweeping and pump the coil up and down. If you don't get any response, that means you are ground balanced and you can keep searching. If you do get a response, that will tell you the detector was probably trying to ground balance out a hot rock or other hot spot which has cause the ground balance to be out for the surrounding ground. You need to keep pumping until the noise goes away.

For me, I prefer manual Sensitivity as I can figure things out a bit better. When in Auto, there is two Auto functions happening (Sensitivity and Ground Balance) and I don't feel comfortable as I don't know what's going on.

PhaseTech said:
RobbieMVFC said:

Rob

Yes you can do this, but probably only need to do it for ten seconds or so.

When you are detecting if you get a signal and then after a few sweeps it goes away, this is the (permanent) Auto Tracking doing its thing. Move the coil off to the side of where you were just sweeping and pump the coil up and down. If you don't get any response, that means you are ground balanced and you can keep searching. If you do get a response, that will tell you the detector was probably trying to ground balance out a hot rock or other hot spot which has cause the ground balance to be out for the surrounding ground. You need to keep pumping until the noise goes away.

For me, I prefer manual Sensitivity as I can figure things out a bit better. When in Auto, there is two Auto functions happening (Sensitivity and Ground Balance) and I don't feel comfortable as I don't know what's going on.

Thank you

1511945724_goldmonster1.06gm.jpg

Managed to blood the Gold Monster 1000 with a nice 1.06 gram piece of leaf gold. Had the monster on Auto Ground Balance Plus and All Metals and just ignored the false signals. Found plenty of rubbish including foil, tacks and tin. Gave up using the monster after it shone. Checked the area with the SDC and found nothing else. It's a big thumbs up from me. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Ordered one of these used and had a question to ask for you who may already have one and know. My question is why does the GM 1000 output a "beep" sometimes and other times it will output a "hum" or "buzz" sound when going over targets. I've noticed this from the videos on YouTube.

Just want to know this before I head out to use it today

Latest posts