Worth doing?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, a few years back i was tipped off about a location where there is clear quartz, topaz and smokey/marion.
I spent a day chipping away and came home with many nice pieces. I tumbled them to see what may be the best for cutting. These pictured havnt had the final polish but you get the idea. Do you think some of these smokey's would come up nice after being cut?
image by Marc Russo, on Flickr

looks like there are minimal inclusions and the smokeys have a good range of colour.

Some of our members have showcased some awesome cut smokeys, would be nice to have a source of rough like that close by. :p :p :p

Wally69 said:
looks like there are minimal inclusions and the smokeys have a good range of colour.

Some of our members have showcased some awesome cut smokeys, would be nice to have a source of rough like that close by. :p :p :p

Yep there are quite a few pieces i still havnt tumbled that are super clear all through and nice colour. The location is 4.5 hours drive inland from Perth (Home) Im tempted to go for another look in the next few weeks and collect more

Some of the colourless pieces look highly likely to be good faceting material. The smokies would require closer examination but I think it pretty likely that some of them would be good faceting material as well.

Latest posts