Hi from the Riverina

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm a new member from the Riverina area in NSW. Recently rekindled an interest in fossicking and prospecting which started in the late 70's/early 80's while traveling with my parents. As I was a kid then just messing around with my Dad's detector, I'm a complete novice now and shopping around for my first detector - the X-TERRA 705 Dual Pack being the front runner at this point. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome :) Champing at the bit to get looking and dig up some yesteryear treasures! This looks like a great forum full of friendly, like minded and helpful people and I'm glad I stumbled across it! :Y:

welcome this is a good place to learn and make friends
1510913129_14.jpg

some you may even meet up with ]:D ]:D
mate the XTerra is a good detector
1510913084_gm.jpg

now how did that image get in here again ;) ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D from what I've seen so far the XTerra does seem to be the preferred unit. I like the simplicity of the Garrett Ace 300i but in comparison it seems a bit limited and lacking in features and I don't want to start out needing to upgrade from day 1 :/

Hey Garnet.

Where in the Riverina are you?

Not far out of Wagga here.

You can have a try of my 705 if you are close by.

Cheers
Philthy

I have heard good things about the Garrett AT Max and seen good footage of it in use on Utube in FNQ. Also heard positives about the Gold Racer. For my efforts and budget, I purchased a whites GMT and later a TDI Oz Pro (second hand). If I had the money initially, I would have tried to get an SDC, as theses are always being shown to find gold as well as a lot of shotgun pellets.

I guess it comes down to budget vs area/s being visited and if you are going to continue the hobby after a few not so good hunts.

You would not believe it, but I have seen a guy with an all singing and dancing GPZ walk over targets and in some cases dig a target, not immediately find it and walk away. The person following him was using an old knocked about Whites detector and pocketing quite a few small nuggets, most less than 4 inches deep. The two fellows got together at dinner time and they showed their finds. The bloke with the GPZ had one piece about 4 grams and the other gent had close to an ounce. The bloke with the GPZ nearly cried, as he knew the other fellow had followed him through the bush. Lucky they were mates and shared their spoils.

Hi Garnet

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of tips and such to read here. I have a 705 and find it great. Read, post and above all enjoy.

Latest posts