1993 Bushman camper trailer refit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Finally made it to Robinvale this afternoon 3.30pm..
Left home at 2pm yesterday after waking up at 4 am to get the mate and drive to newcastle to pick up a jet ski..
The rest of the day we spent bleeding brekes changing oil draining the radiator and getting the vehicle packed ready to go.
I have only just stopped working on the rest of the tasks that need doing because it got dark.
Roof basket is now assembled and attached to the Prado, tomorrow I have to drill and mount the awening and install the harness for the driving lights, connect the park and blinker lights in the bull bar also want to remove the two seats from the back of the Prado to give us more space for storage..
I stuffed up on the mud flaps so they need to be modified as well .. I have LPG but the flaps as they are now prevent me accessing the intake valve to fill up the tank, also the exhust side of the flaps need some work ...
They serve their purpose, they just need some modifications to work seamlessly .. :Y:

Back seats are out the roof top basket is bolted on and tightened down.. Drilled the bolt holes for the Awning and thats now secured to the roof basket ,alternator belt is tightened ..now more squeeling on start up..
Now just need to modify the mud flaps and wire up the driving lights and park/indicators lights on the bull bar..

After lunch, its out to the vines and help the digger in her rows... O:)

1511305735_image.jpg

nucopia said:
Mate I should already be in Robinvale tonight ... we are 3 days behind schedule..
looks like Monday is our departure day now.. :)

Any hickips etc mate give us a yell in Kal (welder and tools here if needed) or drop in for a chat,not many head over this time of the year.....

Goldchaser1 said:
nucopia said:
Mate I should already be in Robinvale tonight ... we are 3 days behind schedule..
looks like Monday is our departure day now.. :)

Any hickips etc mate give us a yell in Kal (welder and tools here if needed) or drop in for a chat,not many head over this time of the year.....
Thanks mate !
Much appraciated ... :Y:

Here goes again.
The Prado is running good and there seems to be no issues with the new engine. There is however an issue with the cooling system .. Im loosing some water and I cant find where its leaking from ..it runs at normal temp whilst driving and does not over heat , but when I stop after a few hundred kilometres or more and check the water , I always need to top up the radiator with about 500mills ..
I noticed the radiator cap was not sealing properly and replaced that I also checked all the water hoses and made sure they were properly fitted and secure.. But its still loosing water ..engine oil is clean and clear, no oil in the radiator water, and no water coming out of the tail pipe when cooling stystem is presurised and engine is reving at 2,000rpm ...
Its a mystery as to why am I loosing water ..

If your not losing it externally then it's being burnt. You wouldn't see evidence of this out tailpipe at the rate of 500 ml in 200 K as heat of exhaust system would dissipate it long before it exited rear of vehicle. You may notice after driving and leaving sit for awhile it may miss slightly for a sec on start up as it clears the pot of water that may have found it's way into cylinder whilst sitting. This will not be the case if head is cracked for example into exhaust port. If this is the case it won't contaminate oil or be evident in cylinder and as said exhaust temps will burn it up before exit.............. that's probably one of the hardest scenarios to trace until head is removed and usually only after exhausting all other avenues. Alloy has a high expansion rate and many times a crack will only open up as engine warms. In saying that been caught many times where a hose / connection has been leaking in a spot where the coolant loss is onto the engine block / manifold etc and the heat dries it instantly and so one sees no evident wetness / leakage. Usually you will only find this as a stain after considerable time of it doing so.
I would get engine hot then stick a radiator pressure tester on it ................... pump to 15psi then monitor pressure over a few hours. Would certainly address the prob before leaving. Also if you get a tester check cap is holding correct pressure as would not be the first time a new cap is not as it should be but if this is the case you should see a rise in top up reservoir level. A rise to the point it's overfull not just the normal expansion contraction level change. How long was motor you fitted sitting around before fitment ?
But to repeat it its not putting it on the ground or externally leaking then it's an engine prob without doubt 8.( Not trying to be a killjoy as know well the work you have put in preparing for the trip, but it's a lot easier to sort at home than in the middle of poo creek :eek: Ten hours plus straight running on a long haul with soon show any cooling system faults in a vehicle.
After thought ................... also check heater box to make sure it's not a heater core fault.

Thermostat housing might be buckled
Or there is a leak from the hoses connection.
They can loosen when replaced or are new.

Thanks for the suggestions guys..
The solution was to remove the thermostate and cut out its core , then put back in with just the metal ring and rubber seal.. Took about an hour to do this morning..900kms later, no more over heating and loss of water and also I now have greatly reduced the fuel consumption compared to before. Thermostate was seized shut and was not allowing water flow when the engine was running hot.
I imagine the thermo fan and the air moving through the radiator was all that was keeping the tempreture down..

I had to change the radiator cap recently. I had been in hospital and the Mrs was driving the car around with the temp guage wrapped the top post!!!
When I went to partially release the cap , it blew off never to be seen again?
Luckily there was a Repco store 500 mtrs away. Got the new cap and cooled everything down , topped up with water and went home cursing my wifes inability to read guages.
I then flushed it with 3 lots of water then added Nulon coolant to suit the car and the temp guage reads 50% all the time now.
I was shiting myself hoping the head hadn't been warped.
All seems om now and still might get a pressure test done to ease my worries.
Jaros. :mad:

Before I went to Victoria I installed a 3 core aluminum radiator.
Needle only just moves under full noise with the van on now. :Y:

Sorry Jaros,
Just seen this. :8
Mob in Melbourne.
Aprox $300.00. Not a cheap one off Ebay.
They actually trade on Ebay but the radiators are
made here in Australia.

Jaros said:
Where did you get the 3 core alm. radiator Doug.

Occasional_panner said:
Any gold yet mate?
Found a small amount so far .. Started a trip report in epic prospecting trips Title: The plans of mice and men. :rolleyes:

Yeah they do stick out a little,when we get home I will get some rubber guards to put on.
Still have a lot to do on the camper when we get home...draw bar extension ,treg trailer hitch , drop down legs, tool/battery box all the electrical and finish off the water tank plumbing and finish the kitchen.
Should keep me busy for another 18 months :cool: