A Funny Thing Happened To Me On The Way To ----

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HaHA ..HEHE..i thought shite like that only happened to me!...One thing is for sure, It's not a dull life for you at times!..hehe!..You were surely pushing the envelope...with those 'lip jokes!.. :lol: :Y: ..Your a braver man than me mate!....my old girl would have come out of her corner swinging!...hehe ]:D ..Glad you enjoyed the concert..he's a great singer songwriter..I love his work...my favorite is 'the Cootamundra Wattle' :Y: :Y: :Y: :cool:

Well here we go again
Mother is very sick so as I have been a home isolated for many weeks it was time to go and see her before it's to late
Got the new ute and caravan ready
Loaded with enough food for a few months
Done the usual checks
Food yes
Fuel yes plus 40lt
Smokes yes
Scotch you bet
Detectors yes
Dog sure have
Nailed the front door shut (try and get through this time you B)
Started off van towing well ute going fine stopped for coffee at South Nowra then hit the road
Should have gone home about that time
Coffee smells like perfume
Oh well can only get better (yes right)
Now believe it or not no problems except nothing open to get food all good not hungry anyway
Got to Brown Mountain turn off and thought yes why not haven't been that way for years
BAD move
3k up the mountain ute over heats
Ok no worries let it cool down a bit and crack the radiator cap
Put the dog on the lead and secured to the bull bar all good gotta look after my mate
Yes you guessed it
Still not cool enough and touched the cap and it explodes off honest just a touch well ok maybe a little turn
Engine bay turns green
Car is green
Window down driver's seat green
Front of my caravan green
Me green
Thought thank god the dog was outside
What the hell has just happened
Look at the dog he is green with the look on his face that says you bloo$(y di$+&@#d
All good got water wash the dog and yes he is not happy gives me that death stare again like you go to sleep tonight I am gonna bite your throat out type of look
So got water in and this continues every 5k for the next 40k which took 3 hours but I did find the dog refused to get out of the car when we stopped not sure why maybe he was tied from the long trip but he did look grumpy
Arrived at my brother's house (BIG MISTAKE) but that's another story
Worked out the problem
The clutch for the fan had died
Ok all good will get another one just duck into town
God strike me down now cost $700
Ok need one so said yes ok will take 7 days to get here
So here I sit no car no detecting
Why don't I just give up well maybe I am to pig headed
I love my trips and yes I know I should stay at home
Mother not doing well but at least I got to see her

I remember the Land Rover ads years ago when Les Hiddens used to say that you would need a Land Rover to go to these places then Toyota came out with the ads saying that you would need a Land Cruiser to get back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that you might have been better off just getting a Lada Niva Marksman. :lol: :lol: :lol: or a Harley.

Cheers

Doug

Clucth fans must be designed to fail :poop: pricks of things , solid mount a fan on the big girl , garuanteed to work , will drain some power and add 3 klm to the heater warming up or defrost time. :playful:

Thanks for sharing mate :Y: a good yarn told well.

May have been cheaper to install an aftermarket thermo fan ,if you had space to take off the clutch fan and room to fit it in . A clutch fan is only effective up to 70 kmh until the normal airflow from the front of the vehicle takes over and then if your cooling system or radiator is struggling under load , then you need a thermo fan or a twin set up if you can fit it. When i built my ute i had issues with over heating and found all this out ,so now i have both a clutch fan on one side and twin thermos on the front with the cowling directing air from the bottom ,top and sides in to the radiator.

But i loved your story. Well told :perfect:

Best of .luck with the rest of your trip, 7.62 Marksman

So I gather at present that you are not one of those that leaps in the air every time the word "Toyota" is mentioned????? :lol: Good that you made it there and back and got to see your mother again :Y: :Y: :Y:

Graham

7.62marksman said:
Well here we go again
Mother is very sick so as I have been a home isolated for many weeks it was time to go and see her before it's to late
Got the new ute and caravan ready
Loaded with enough food for a few months
Done the usual checks
Food yes
Fuel yes plus 40lt
Smokes yes
Scotch you bet
Detectors yes
Dog sure have
Nailed the front door shut (try and get through this time you B)
Started off van towing well ute going fine stopped for coffee at South Nowra then hit the road
Should have gone home about that time
Coffee smells like perfume
Oh well can only get better (yes right)
Now believe it or not no problems except nothing open to get food all good not hungry anyway
Got to Brown Mountain turn off and thought yes why not haven't been that way for years
BAD move
3k up the mountain ute over heats
Ok no worries let it cool down a bit and crack the radiator cap
Put the dog on the lead and secured to the bull bar all good gotta look after my mate
Yes you guessed it
Still not cool enough and touched the cap and it explodes off honest just a touch well ok maybe a little turn
Engine bay turns green
Car is green
Window down driver's seat green
Front of my caravan green
Me green
Thought thank god the dog was outside
What the hell has just happened
Look at the dog he is green with the look on his face that says you bloo$(y di$+&@#d
All good got water wash the dog and yes he is not happy gives me that death stare again like you go to sleep tonight I am gonna bite your throat out type of look
So got water in and this continues every 5k for the next 40k which took 3 hours but I did find the dog refused to get out of the car when we stopped not sure why maybe he was tied from the long trip but he did look grumpy
Arrived at my brother's house (BIG MISTAKE) but that's another story
Worked out the problem
The clutch for the fan had died
Ok all good will get another one just duck into town
God strike me down now cost $700
Ok need one so said yes ok will take 7 days to get here
So here I sit no car no detecting
Why don't I just give up well maybe I am to pig headed
I love my trips and yes I know I should stay at home
Mother not doing well but at least I got to see her

Fate was saying "I told you to stay at home you burke"

Rob P

Many years ago my wife and I were on holidays travelling around Victoria. Our travels took us on the road to Nagambie, and as we drove along the ropes over the top of our carcamper started to flap. Expecting hassles I pulled over to tighten everything but when we look at the load, there were things missing.
Our case, which had been tied down was gone, completely. Well you can imagine the circus. "I have to have my clothes" said Mrs TD, so after a Uturn back we went looking afor a wayward suitcase.
We didnt go far, because it was blantantly obvious that a case had got loose and then EXPLODED as it hit the road.
My wifes clothes were everywhere, but the knickers and bras nicely hanging on the barbed wire fence, were the focal point.
We cleaned up the mess, picking up Mrs TDs undies, to the tune of passing cars horns. We still laugh about it 30yrs after it happened.

Last November I went to my Bothers Wedding at Wauchope. :heart:
Drive from Tathra straight up the coast takes around 9 hours or so.
Decided to go straight through the guts of Sydney via the Harbor Tunnel. :Y: :Y:
Bad mistake. I should have gone via Canberra, Goulburn etc. :awful:
Was going OK but then hit peak hour traffic and found out that Sydney Drivers
especially BMW drivers tended to ignore a 4x4 even though it has a bloody
big black bullbar. ]:D

Until they copped the full force of lights square in their mirrors. Had one bloke
cack himself laughing when I pulled that stunt once. He was driving a Hyundia
that looked like one of Mad Max's cars. :8

Got out of Sydney after 2 1/2 hours of sheer terror. Was almost going to put her
in full time just to scare the crap out of em as the tires squeal like all get out on
hot bitumen. (Yes, The one I have can be driven like that) :cool:

Went to the wedding after a bit of tooing and froing and enjoyed the time immensely.
Was going to go see Goody further up the coast but fires were getting a bit out of hand
so, After studying maps and such, Decided to barrel out back to Newcastle then through
to Dubbo to see another friend. Besides, I had never been there. :rainbow:

Got down to Newcastle and that is where the fun started. Oh crap, I think that was the
turn off that just went past. Pulled over about 5 clicks down the road and with trembling
hands and abated breath, Put the phone in GPS mode. :awful:

I realized after about 1/2 an hour, This was not a good thing in peak hour traffic. :poop:
Gee I hate City Traffic. No room to move or make lightning fast maneuvers. Grrrr :bomb:
People were just about to get used to a 4x4 in full mode climbing around in the
dividers between both Lanes. Handy trick when no one is about and used quite commonly
out in the bush. strange that no one else thinks that way in City's. O:)
Maps were out of date on the bloody phone and a lot had changed.
Finally used my superior sense of direction heading for Singleton but the bloody phone in it's
limited capacity, Put me through a bloody back street when I decided to try and trust it again. :fire:

I was temporarily unsure of my position. :8

That tore it. Howling down the free way an hour later, I spotted a SuperCheap and Repco
store. In I went.
One store only had an over priced basic Tom Tom. Nope.
Other store had a Navman Combo at a decent price so, After spending 3/4 of an hour going
through the quick start guide away I went. :Y: :Y:

I was back on track within 5 minutes and gunning for Dubbo. It started to get dark so on came
the light bars etc. Then it started to rain. :cloudy:
It was then I found out that the light bar was about as good as a candle in the wind. Tried
different angles and such. Nope. Grrrrr The lights on the Prado are about as useless as well. :awful:

One thing I must point out. A truck stop in a small town has the best fresh Sammidges I have ever
had. Back on the road but the rain situation was heavy. Slipping and sliding around I was getting
very nervous. One trucky I let past had a bit of a chuckle over the radio about my antics.
Bloody nice bloke and we spoke for about 1/2 an hour on the radio before I lost him.

Finally arrived in Dubbo a nervous wreck , Eye strained and was happy as an ice skater in a skating rink.
Next morning straight down to Super Cheap and bought a friggen decent set of Led Spotties that
would make any 4x4 owner proud. They burn the eye's out of a Roo at 100 yards with ease. :inlove:

Stayed put for 3 days then hit the road for home. Was going to stop in at Young to say Hello to a few
Copper Mates but, I had a long way to go and a short time to get there. :cool:

Did not use the GPS or the New Spotties on the way home. I finally had a really good run arriving home
in the late evening just before dark. :Y: :Y:

2 days later, Went and bought a rather expensive phone. Dropped it the next day cracking the screen. 8.(

Moral to the story,
New GPS, $650.00. Have not used it since apart from the dash cam.Don't need it in the bush.
New Spotties, $250.00
New Phone, $450.00 ( New Screen $180.00. Not fitted yet but I will get around to it. Soon)

Did I enjoy myself,
You Bet I did. :power: :power: :perfect: