Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all. Been prospecting for a few months and considering buy a metal detector. Would like some advice on the best value for money and which one/s would best suit my needs. I have 4 kids so money is always an issue. I live in West gippsland. Most of my prospecting will be done in this area. I know virtually nothing about metal detectors.

Hey mate welcome aboard.
Even as an entry level machine you are more than likely going to need to spend at least a grand. (for a new machine).
Maybe a 705 gold pack? Simple enough for the kids and missus to use and not get bored, and can find stuff.
I'm sure others will chime in with other machines too!! Good luck!

If we're looking at sub $1500 machines then I have a couple of ideas.

As an entry level machine that will find gold, I would recommend the Makro Gold Racer or the Garrett AT Gold.

Both machines are VLF and are proven performers in Victoria. (read up on VLF and PI technologies as they relate to detectors)

Makro Gold Racer starts at $975 RRP and Garret AT Gold at $1249 RRP.

There's a good range of choices in the sub $1500 range of detectors, but they are the two that stand out for me for beginners.

Ok thanks for your input guy's. I was considering a 705. But unfortunately vet bills got in the way. Probably a good thing give me more time to look into it. Is it worth buying a second hand unit? Just thought I might get a better one for same price

Also depends on if your planning on looking for gold or not. There have been some finds detecting in West gippy but there few and far between.

Yeah the plan is to look for gold. I love pan and sluice. But its always good to change it up plus the mrs doesn't like getting in the creek

Nothing wrong with buying second hand, I've purchased several detectors off ebay over the years with no issues. Sometime it can be advantageous, with some detectors including a pinpointer and/or accessory coils as well, good way to save a few $$$.

Or a new or used Whites MXT that comes with a proven history,

The VLF market is full of high quality machines all of which perform well and not a choice that I would like to make again, any of the machines mentioned will give you many hours of enjoyment for years to come.

J.

For gold prospecting in the GT, the Impact is a proven performer in the very high mineralization.GOG mode takes over when mineralisation is 100% on the meter and it ground balances every time. I had DI3 running at Wedderburn and it was smoking hot in the tough ground.GEN or all metal mode was also unstoppable but signals are weaker on deeper targets.It does however have a two tone disc.option which picks up hot rocks and ferrous by a low tone.As I dig them all up it has proven to be 100% reliable and no gold has been missed on the low tones.
On the Impact false signals can be eliminated by adjusting sensitivity,discrimination and iSAT in a certain order.
The Racer 2 would be the next best machine considering its $950 price tag and can also sport the larger 40 cm coil.
The Impact is a straight out prospecting machine as well as beach/park usage with the option of fitting the large coil for an extra $350. No reports on forums how the Deus and CTX perform for straight out prospecting,only that they are used mainly in trashy areas around campsites,and also parks and beaches but at twice the price of an Impact they are just simply not in the running.

Gold Monster or 705, Or XP Deus if you can find a second hand one.

Like most ML machines the GM is starting to carve it up.

oldtimerROB said:
For gold prospecting in the GT, the Impact is a proven performer in the very high mineralization.GOG mode takes over when mineralisation is 100% on the meter and it ground balances every time. I had DI3 running at Wedderburn and it was smoking hot in the tough ground.GEN or all metal mode was also unstoppable but signals are weaker on deeper targets.It does however have a two tone disc.option which picks up hot rocks and ferrous by a low tone.As I dig them all up it has proven to be 100% reliable and no gold has been missed on the low tones.
On the Impact false signals can be eliminated by adjusting sensitivity,discrimination and iSAT in a certain order.
The Racer 2 would be the next best machine considering its $950 price tag and can also sport the larger 40 cm coil.
The Impact is a straight out prospecting machine as well as beach/park usage with the option of fitting the large coil for an extra $350. No reports on forums how the Deus and CTX perform for straight out prospecting,only that they are used mainly in trashy areas around campsites,and also parks and beaches but at twice the price of an Impact they are just simply not in the running.
Sorry to disagree Rob, you say it's a proven performer in the GT yet so far all you can produce as evidence is foil, you say it's 100% reliable and no gold has been missed yet you haven't found gold with it.

I've been down this path for the past 3 years with 3 different detectors thinking they'll find gold in the GT, all 3 can handle the mineralization when tweaked but it's only the 4th detector that found gold within 30 mins of putting the col to the ground in Wedderburn.

My advice to any new comers to detecting wanting to find gold in the Vic GT, save your pennies and buy an Minelab GPX 4500, 5000 or SDC 2300 and be done with, you might be lucky to find gold with other detectors but most likely you'll end up frustrated.

Minelab has a great reputation for finding gold in Australia for one very good reason, just look in the Show and Tell thread and see what machines are finding gold.

Edit: Sorry for the derail but sick of seeing misinformed posts to newbies with false claims.

I forgot to add the Makro Gold Racer to my list and the AU Gold Finder, but if a person is serious about Gold then if the funds can stretch that far or as pointed out save up for a while longer 4500 or SDC, they would be the weapon of Choice,

ProspectorPete said:
]My advice to any new comers to detecting wanting to find gold in the Vic GT, save your pennies and buy an Minelab GPX 4500, 5000 or SDC 2300 and be done with, you might be lucky to find gold with other detectors but most likely you'll end up frustrated.

Without wanting to get into a religious argument over metal detectors, you'll find gold in the right places with the following non Minelab detectors:

Makro Gold Racer (VLF 56KHz) $975
Nokta FORS Gold+ (VLF 19KHz) $1175
QED Pulse Induction $1850

You definitely do not need to shell out thousands of dollars on a Minelab machine to find gold.

Looking to get a metal detector this week (so it will have to be from a physical shop - yes...a bit last minute)

Had a look around and I saw a couple, but this would be a first time purchase and I don't know anything about them. I also read a couple posts in here and saw that people mentioned that the Minelab X-TERRA 705 is a good beginners one. I noticed there is a "Metal Detector" and a "Gold Pack Metal Detector" version, with $50 separating the two.

I also saw this one: C-Scope CS4PI Pulse induction metal detector

This isn't for me (but I will SURELY pinch it quite often :lol: ). The person will use this mainly on the beach, probably wet and dry sand.

Does anyone use any of these and have an opinion on which one would be better or even, something better than them, they are all under $700 new, which is ok.
I don't want to get an overly complicated one with too many buttons/options to press etc.

Thanks for reading :)

Mate go for the 705 without gold pack absolutely brilliant detector My paid for itself twice in a year and a half in coins not counting rings necklaces and 1 gold nugget (Accidental find)
rom said:
Looking to get a metal detector this week (so it will have to be from a physical shop - yes...a bit last minute)

Had a look around and I saw a couple, but this would be a first time purchase and I don't know anything about them. I also read a couple posts in here and saw that people mentioned that the Minelab X-TERRA 705 is a good beginners one. I noticed there is a "Metal Detector" and a "Gold Pack Metal Detector" version, with $50 separating the two.

I also saw this one: C-Scope CS4PI Pulse induction metal detector

This isn't for me (but I will SURELY pinch it quite often :lol: ). The person will use this mainly on the beach, probably wet and dry sand.

Does anyone use any of these and have an opinion on which one would be better or even, something better than them, they are all under $700 new, which is ok.
I don't want to get an overly complicated one with too many buttons/options to press etc.

Thanks for reading :)

hi rom I also have the 705 & although took a while to learn all settings I can highly recommend the 705.
Awesome machine.

What's your price range? The Garrett AT pro international is around $1100 and fully waterproof upto 10ft and apparently is very good on wet sand and salt water.

Personally I just bought the Garrett 400i which as I understand it is on the same level as the 705.
400i set me back $650

flyrodder said:
Mate go for the 705 without gold pack absolutely brilliant detector My paid for itself twice in a year and a half in coins not counting rings necklaces and 1 gold nugget (Accidental find)
Thanks mate, I hope we accidentally find a gold nugget somewhere :lol:

tones69 said:
hi rom I also have the 705 & although took a while to learn all settings I can highly recommend the 705.
Awesome machine.
Thanks a lot! :)

DetectingSA said:
What's your price range? The Garrett AT pro international is around $1100 and fully waterproof upto 10ft and apparently is very good on wet sand and salt water.

Personally I just bought the Garrett 400i which as I understand it is on the same level as the 705.
400i set me back $650
Thanks for the heads up, around the 700 mark is what I'm looking at atm, but who knows after playing with this one, (that won't be mine lol), I might really get into ;) , after I posted my initial post, I did see a Garrett Ace 400i, supposed to be good for ghost town hunting. When I read that, all I imagined was tumbleweed rolling :lol:
I did like the screen on it though.

Go and have a yarn with Lee at Toys and Things up near the Piccadilly Centre, 341 Crown St, Wollongong he carries a pretty good range and is a decent bloke to talk to.

Whisp said:
Go and have a yarn with Lee at Toys and Things up near the Piccadilly Centre, 341 Crown St, Wollongong he carries a pretty good range and is a decent bloke to talk to.

Thanks Whisp, that's where I first saw the C-Scope and then noticed the Garrett, was planning on going there in the next couple of days.

Latest posts