SteelPhase SP01

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madtuna

Only owns one toaster
Reaction score
Received my SP01 yesterday and got to say the quality is excellent! Well done Nenad and Pat :Y:
Haven't used it in anger yet but if it performs as good as it looks and feels I've no doubt it'll be a winner.

If there is going to be an SP02, could it possibly incorporate a belt clip of some sort and a visible indicator that the thing has charge in it?

Cheers!

Got my sp01week and a half ago mounted it on my sdc with a cheap kingcrome pouch from Bunnings that I modified seen your post and thought I should get out and try it went down the road in whipstick forest vic 5minutes Fromm home and pinged 3tiny bits tried all combinations on spo1when I got a target and found mode 2 filter 1 volume 4was best for me I was using woodys noise cancelling headphones I'm not saying I would not have got them without the spo1but signals all very clear and would pull anyone up any way cheers Muk hope the photos work.
1510994747_img_1053.jpg

1510994747_img_1055.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. Its nice to see results from a lot of hard work.

As for the belt clip, there will be a pouch available soon which I think has a belt clip.

As for the indicator, I did think of it at the time but there isnt a lot of room internally to fit an indicator on the front panel. Plus, albeit not much, LEDs do draw power and I wanted it to last as long as possible without the need of charge, but also keep the weight down by not using a huge battery.

I found my first lil nug @ .15g within 30 mins of using brand new 4500/14x9 evo/sP01/earbuds combination, target signal was good and pulled me up immediately, had me thinking it was another bullet.
I'm not 100% sure how much difference the sP01 made but there was no mistaking the signal at 1-2" deep and it's the confidence it's given me right from the start which is what keeps me focused instead of falling into my old lazy habits, I won't detect without it now.
Thanks SteelPat and Nenad :Y:

1511493185_20171111_104027.jpg

My SP01 arrived on Friday. Thanks Nenad. Thought Id better get it attached to the gpx harness and start testing. Went to Bunnings and picked up a pouch for about $30.
1511859552_e31ccec0-01aa-40f4-923b-6efc7a3cc53a.jpg
I wanted a Velcro flap to cover the switches (as I bash through some pretty wild scrub) and this pouch covered all the bases. The SP01 fitted perfectly (with a bonus divider to hold a finds container)
1511859711_1ff95c07-85cc-46dc-8107-a5438c366d97.jpg

A hole was melted through the mesh with a heated steel pipe to allow the input plug to be attached. This solved the fraying problem and gave an acceptable finish.
1511860171_02a18a01-f092-4ba5-9bd9-c1e0dc57a530.jpg

The final task was to attach the device to the detector harness. After looking at it for about half an hour, I decided that the best location was on the chest strap. This allowed all leads to tuck out of the way and still have the control panel visible. This location did not impact on the movement of the detector or get in the way of the pick or scoop.
1511860403_a5d2922d-f70d-42e2-91ef-5e68a28350e3.jpg

To test the unit, I decided to use a small .3g gold nugget. The first step was to disconnect the SP01 and connect a mono speaker to the gpx battery. I then buried the nugget at a depth that barely produced a signal through the speaker. (About 6 deep with the settings suited to the area I was going to detect) The signal that I heard would not normally pull me up if it was windy or if the ground was noisy (crunchy leaves, noisy stones etc) I then changed to headphones to see if there was any improvement. With the outside distractions masked, the signal was marginally clearer. The SP01 was then connected to the speaker with mode 1 selected. I ran through the three filter options using a variety of volume settings. In all cases the signal was stronger and clearer than just using the speaker. I was impressed as each filter setting would have pulled me up if I was detecting and thats what I wanted to know. I performed the same tests using the headphones and the results were slightly better again.

The three filter settings provided different sounds. Its a bit hard to describe but Ill give it a go. Filter 1 was quite hard and sharp but the background noise was also of a similar nature. Filter 2 gave a crisp clear signal with a slightly smoother and less grating threshold noise. Filter 3 gave a soft mellow signal with very little background noise. Each one would have its own merits and uses. Varying machines and settings may alter the output sounds achieved. My personal preference was filter 2 with a volume setting of around 4. I reckon Id tend to go for filter 3 after a couple of hours detecting (as you tend to get tired and begin to loose concentration).

The verdict so far... pretty darn good. Ill be using it every time I go out. The unit was easy to charge using the USB cable and the location of the SP01 didnt hinder my detecting in any way.

PS. Did detect a new area for an hour or so and found some of the usual rubbish. Pulled a small bit of steel from about 6. The signal was crisp and clear. Looking forward to finding some yellow stuff with the new toy.

Cheers

Les

Hello steelpat im new to the forum but i have been hearing alot about the steelphase booster my father is running the Qlink wireless battery and audio system, what i would like to know is can the steelphase be used with this system or dose he have to go back to the wired system thankyou and hope to hear back from anyone with information

VicProstector said:
Hello steelpat im new to the forum but i have been hearing alot about the steelphase booster my father is running the Qlink wireless battery and audio system, what i would like to know is can the steelphase be used with this system or dose he have to go back to the wired system thankyou and hope to hear back from anyone with information

I have only tried it with the minelab prosonic wireless system. The sP01 will utilize any unit where the headphones plug into the receiver.

Latest posts