Garrett AT Max information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could do rubbish targets as well and see where they slot in to the list, or double up with good targets.
you could also post the data in another post showing from highest numbers to lowest to see another vantage/viewpoint(let your mind see it two ways) :D

I have an international and at first I did not like the low tone break. However, I have come to appreciate how to listen for a target again rather than looking at numbers. I must have got lazy. You can hear cans. You can hear pull tabs. Although they give a high tone there is a flutter in the signal. With good targets the vdi will be quite solid and the tone will be loud but mellow. 1c coins will give a great sound but the numbers will drift from 80,s to 74. Unfortunately 2c coins will still have you buggered at a solid 85,, I really like the iron audio button too. Gives you a good idea if to dig or not.with my Nokta, I got very fixated on silver and I'm enjoying the wider variety of good targets with the Max international. I'm also very impressed with the build quality too. I think it's a cracker!

Just an update for anyone considering the Max international. I have alot of hours on my unit now (200+) and I really do like it. On land,,, it's really very hard to beat. It's as good, or better than anything out there. Personally I like how Garrett machines have less settings but there is more info in the signal. Tone break is low on the international but I've grown to love this feature due to my gold ring count. At the beach,,,, well,,, it's a hit and miss machine with the standard coil. At least in SE Qld anyway. I can only get it to run on half the beaches I visit trying all the different settings that I've seen on YouTube and are familiar with myself. The machine is ok in the dry sand and ok with the coil submurged however in the transition area it's simply unuseable. I am pleased to say that the optional small coil makes all the difference. It runs smooth and quiet across the whole beach although you still need to ground balance frequently. I'm pulling coins out at surprising deapth with the small coil too. Honestly though, if your thing is to hunt the wet beach sand there are better machines available for that job considering what you will pay for a Max plus the small coil.

Ive just done some air testing between the 5x8 and the 8x11 did coils.
Settings are ground balance 91(that was on it when I switched it on and didnt change with auto balance)
Threshold on 2 (1was silent 2 was audible)
Full sensitivity
New battery
Coil was stationary waving the target across the blade of the DVD coils. Doing this I found if I went to slowly it may not pick it at all and at the right speed (fairly quickly) it picked it at better depth.

Lead 0.25gram 5 (5x8) 60mm, 11 (8x11) 70mm

Lead 0.5g 5 75mm, 11 75mm

Lead 0.75g 5 90mm, 11 110mm

Lead 1.17g air rifle pellet 5 125mm, 11 160mm

Lead 2.25g spent .22 bullet 5 130mm, 11 180mm

Lead 7.0g conical sinker 5 200mm, 11 275mm

The 5 coil either picked the lead or it didnt with a strong clear tone and numbers of 38 to 44.
The 11 coil had fading tones, hit and miss and various numbers from 38 to 70

I have to now figure out how to test the same in some hot ground, changing depth not the coil.
After doing this I feel more comfortable with the small coil.
Matt T

Hello
Does anyone use or have used a garrett at max ?
I'm tossing up between a minelab gold monster and a at max .

Hi Newbie, the first question is what are wanting to with the detector and next where do you want to detect?

You know the gold monster is targeted at gold and the AT Max is Highly Recommended
Coin, Jewelry, Cache Hunting, Relic Hunting, Organized Hunts and Water Hunting

Two totally different machines.

Cheers

Newbie 76 said:
Hello

I'm using a US GARRETT AT MAX !

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi Newbie, the first question is what are wanting to with the detector and next where do you want to detect?

You know the gold monster is targeted at gold and the AT Max is Highly Recommended
Coin, Jewelry, Cache Hunting, Relic Hunting, Organized Hunts and Water Hunting

Two totally different machines.

Cheers

Hi Houdini
I'm looking to target the golden triangle for gold .
From my research they are both vlf machines ,so they should find the smaller gold that pi machines don't.
How are they totally different machines ?

nesral said:
Newbie 76 said:
Hello

I'm using a US GARRETT AT MAX !

Hello
Why a us version ?
How do you like it ?
Is it easy to ground setup?
Has it found you small nuggets /larger ones?

Cheers

I have an At Max, but I wouldnt say Im using it.
VLF machines are better in the quartz rich over burden heaps (if thats the right term) or on bedrock not suited to iron rich ground.
The higher frequency gold monster would be a better choice for gold, if your planing to cover the more ground than that then get the best P. I. Machine you can afford.
Matt T

Ship of fools said:
I have an At Max, but I wouldnt say Im using it.
VLF machines are better in the quartz rich over burden heaps (if thats the right term) or on bedrock not suited to iron rich ground.
The higher frequency gold monster would be a better choice for gold, if your planing to cover the more ground than that then get the best P. I. Machine you can afford.
Matt T

Hi Matt
Thanks for your input !
So your saying you should have bought the minelab gold monster instead of your at max ? As it operates at a higher frequency ?
As I'm a newbie do you know if the golden triangle (ballarat bendigo ararat ) is mainly iron rich or quartz rich ...not sure if it's that easy to answer but if you don't ask you won't know :D

No, I bought the Max for coin and relics. I did believe at the time it would be good for jewellery on the beaches but it doesnt like the black sand. So I bought a P.I. Machine (Whites TDI Oz pro) then insanity struck and I started looking for gold!
The At max is not a good gold hunter, you can do it, but it may push you to a new level of insanity!
There are a number of VLF machines made specifically for gold. I havent used any of them so hard to say which one for you.
With VLFs gold responds better to higher frequencies but higher frequency doesnt punch as deep! Punching deep also picks up more mineralization which brings false signals! A conundrum!
Matt T

Ive only played in CQ, but going by what is written in this forum the golden triangle is red hot dirt and most favour P.I. Machines.
Im getting out of my depth now, the quartz rich areas you would work with a VLF are reef areas and Mulluck heaps left at old mines.
Matt T

Ship of fools said:
Ive only played in CQ, but going by what is written in this forum the golden triangle is red hot dirt and most favour P.I. Machines.
Im getting out of my depth now, the quartz rich areas you would work with a VLF are reef areas and Mulluck heaps left at old mines.
Matt T

Thanks for the info Matt
Seems like I'm better off with the gold monster, if you don't recommend it the garrett at max ,I like the screen controls and the screen on the at max

Cq? Is where ?

Angelo

Latest posts