Converted wired headphones to Bluetooth/Wireless - todays project

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I converted my wired Headphones on my ATX to Bluetooth Wireless....I like headset audio but dislike full blown headphones in the summer heat and plus the wires get in the way

There are lots of ways to do this and I'm not saying this is the best....for about $75 using Jaycar parts and a soldering iron it is easy.

The pic shows the jaycar product boxes and the finished result.
The battery life on these parts is supposed to be min 2hrs in full use.
Recharging is shorter and fits in with how I carry USB/recharging stuff in the bush anyway.

Switched it on, paired the Bluetooth and it works fine.
I checked the Transmitter (black box) does not interfere with the ATX before I cut the headphone cable.

The Bluetooth Transmitter is temporarily attached with double sided tape until I am happy with a permanent location, then might use Velcro, we'll see.

Finally, I attached a 3.5mm male connector to the now cut Headphone wire.
Using a 'back to back' female to female 3.5mm connector I can now remove the Transmitter if required and revert to the Headphones using the back to back adaptor to bypass the Transmitter (adaptor/Headphones not shown in pic).

1508725292_img_20171023_131438.jpg

It would be wise to check whether the Bluetooth module is reducing the sensitivity of the detector's receiver.

A metal detector is, essentially, a combined radio transmitter and receiver and all radio receivers have a minimum level of signal they can receive - just like our ears. If the receiver is already receiving a signal at level x then any signals below the level of x will not be correctly received and, at best, will be passed through the receiver in a garbled fashion.

The Bluetooth transmitter is the source of two types of radio signal;
1 - the Bluetooth transmission at around 2.4GHz
2 - the spurious transmissions from the electronics in the Bluetooth module.

Either, both or a mixing of the two could be producing signals which desensitise the detector's receiver and there is no easy way to tell.

The only way I can suggest is (using normal headphones) with a tiny piece of gold (lead if no gold) swing the detector at an increasing height over the target until just the *smallest* signal is produced - a signal you can barely hear. Next switch to the Bluetooth setup and repeat the test. If you can still hear the target all is good.

PS. Turn your mobile phone off (remove the battery?) when detecting for the same reasons as above.

It's most unlikely Jaros because the designers will have taken this matter into account during development and either suppressed spurious emissions at source or put sufficient filtering on the receiver front end to prevent out of band signals getting through - in reality they'll have done both.

Of course they will only have considered the detector and its electronics because they know nothing about an after-market Bluetooth module or the like.

Another issue with wireless is response delay;

You're sweeping the detector over a target and by the time the signal is transmitted then received and processed by the ear, you're off the target and it can effectively alter pinpointing the target.

The Deteknix I use from Nenad have a 0.06 sec delay and the Minelab Prosonic is noted at <50 ms (0.05). So you would want to be in or around that range.

I use the same digitech set up from jaycar on my sdc also digitech blue tooth headphones they work a treat I also swap them from one detector to another I've used them for 8hrs plus without having to recharge good set up cheers Muk.

I too have purchased the Digitech transmitter and wireless earbuds seem ok on my F1A4. I am sure they will work ok on the Ace 250 as well.
Jaros :Y:

Latest posts