Fluorescent mineral lighting and fluorescent minerals in aus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to add a short-midwave uv light to our mineral and crystal collection cabnet we have started. Read that black light works on a few minerals and crystals but short and mid wave ultraviolet is much more affective? Most of the places i have found are over seas . Also looking for advice on where to fossick for our own as close to sydney as possible , good reliable sites to purchase from and where to by reasonable lighting systems in oz . Tips from anyone who has set one up would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

My set-up consists of several 'Black-lights'.... I want to eventually get a SW and LW combined light... These are quite expensive... Not sure where in OZ you can get one, I haven't bothered to look yet.. 8)

As for the Purchase of Minerals, I have bought several 2lb packs of Ebay... From a USA supplier... Not too bad for about $60 landed here... Australia hasn't got that many Fluorescent Minerals. Broken Hill have a few and 'Some' aussie Opal.. Most come from the USA Mines... And Most have a glow under my Black-lights.... Better under UV of course... Most US sellers are pretty good... Postage is the Killer tho... :mad:

Watch out for Crap that they say 'Glows', there are some shockers that's for sure.... Take your torch with you to Gem shows and you will be surprised at what you find...
Watch out for size of your Specimen...

Thumbnail size fits a 1"x1"x1" cube display box... very small
Miniature size fits a 1 1/2" Cube display box..
Small Cabinet fits a 2"X2"X2" Cube display box.... Good size, I get these and larger.. :Y:
Cabinet size fits a 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 Cube display...
Large Cabinet is around 4" cube
And so on... or something like that anyhow :rolleyes:

here is a link that has some info for you...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=313 .......

Anyone have any ideas where we can get these lights in OZ ?

LW.... :rainbow:

Latest posts