Garrett AT Max information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purchased a Max and been very impressed so far. It may still look the same at the older AT units but it is a big step forward internally. Taking it to the beach tomorrow for the big test in salt. I'll let you know how I find it. I can't get my Nokta forscore to run at the beach at all so I'm hoping the Garrett will.

Well, took the Max to the beach today and once again very very impressed. Works great with minimal falsing in salt water. Iron discrimination set to 25. -3 threshold. Auto ground balance then take it negative 2 clicks. Runs very quietly with some chirps only when you are entering or exiting the water. Awesome job Garrett. I think the Max has just made my Nokta obsolete. See below video

https://youtu.be/dISPxJPpEFg

Thanks towelly
Nice to hear something positive.
Where is the beach you were testing at?

B5MECH said:
nesral said:
This chap not to happy with the AT Max on a wet beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27eEeabrk4

Cause he doesn't know how to use it nesral :lol:
Bit of a.... Oh look let me turn it on and watch it not work for the camera :lol: looked like he had no intention of even trying to make it work :rolleyes:
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVA3ioZmQZU[/video]

Is that you ScubaDan in the back ground at 4 minutes 8) Test swingin and Lookin to upgrade hey :p
Nah B5 , not me - I was a little further out in 3 metres of water with the CTX . I think he said it's the only detector he knows , that can run from dry sand to knee deep water without any problems . I can think of 2 machines that have no issues and with no chatter that already do that . :Y:

Good to see someone using the AT Max successfully on a wet beach without first having to consult with Garret or their rep.

Hi
Thought I'd do a quick update on the Max now that I have around 20 hours on the machine. I can confirm again that it runs very well on salt water beaches and in salt water. I use the same settings as detector comparisons on YouTube which are basically -3 threshold then auto ground balance, then push the shift button and back the ground balance negative 2 positions. Great deapth out on the standard coil and good clean signals. On the dry sand, simply auto ground balance and run any mode you choose. It's only when you get to the very wet sand you have to use the above settings. I'm not a beach hunter but it's nice to know it works on salt beaches. I took it out for a rain hunt targeting deep pre decimals at a local park and was very impressed. Once again good deapth, clean signals and solid vdi numbers on good targets. I have found though that I got better results listening to the signal rathan than reliance on the numbers and I'm only using the vdi as a dig confirmation. I did have one complaint after the 1st few hours and that is that the high tone break is set so low that it's almost a single tone machine. However, I've found 3 gold rings with this unit in the short time that I've had it. I'm a pre decimals hunter so my ears are tuned to high tones. On my Nokta, A high tone is a $1, $2 or a pre decimal and gold falls in the mid tones so the Garrett does work differently whick took some getting used to. But overall the Max is becoming my favourite machine very quickly. I have never been a "brand" guy. I think all the manufacturer's have something to offer. From personal experience, I can highly recommend the Max. I'll also be purchasing the new equinox when it comes out too. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Cheers

The AT Max used on the beach at the Gold Coast is an "AT Max International".

Detector Comparison is using an AT Max.

AT Max International and AT Max have very different audio spread.

Only our 5 coin is in the Mid tone on the AT Max International all our other coins are in the High tone ..... at least the bottle caps do not ring up in the $$ coin VDI area of either "MAX"

No matter the "MAX" do have some interesting depth compared to earlier Garrett AT models. :Y:

My first coin with a AT Max was a beauty.
1509428573_firstcoinatmax.jpg

Hello everyone just bought a at max and this is my first detector any pointers would be appreciated . Thankyou .

You're in the same boat I was a few weeks ago!
1. Get out and use it.
2. Dig everything until you get used to what signals relate to what targets.
3. Towards the end of a day, when you start "cherrypicking" for good signals because you are sick of digging trash, pack up and go home. Go back another day fresh.
4. Detecting in the rain is MUDDY!
5. Even when you are getting used to the signals, still dig everything! (This is where I'm at now, I'm sure I'm passing over good targets sometimes :) )
6. I don't know what point this is yet, haven't reached it.

Good luck. :D

Read your manual
watch the video instructions
get some targets out the drawers and shed at home and bench test your machine (look up bench test video)
Find some things in your backyard in the ground.
find a quiet bit of ground in your backyard and bury some targets there (bury a few good ones with a nail next to one and a pull tab next to another as well) this will help you work out what things you can't see will number up as on your machine (make sure they are all at least a foot away from each other, except for your doubled up close ones with the nail and the pull tab, you only want them an inch away from each other).
Now, next look up utube videos of how to use your particular machine.
next look up utube videos of people treasure hunting with your particular machine.
now look up utube videos of how to dig a clean plug and apply this information in particular to your way of thinking (it is the most important point of all)
after this has all sunk in do your back yard again thoroughly using all your newly gained skills (no shortcuts mind you) dig every target you find as this will skill your brain in treasure hunting in a way that helps you understand what the target in the ground is before you dig it up (by the time you are getting to the end of your backyard you should be guessing what the target is before you dig it up to see if you are right)
Next do your front yard making sure your plugs are hardly visible once filled again.
next, always seek out the advice of your peers
and make sure you have a well honed sense of humor (helps you through a bad target day) :lol:
oh, and after that you can start to do some research before you head out into the wild blue yonder. :Y:

If someone wants pointers on how to use an AT-MAX it would be essential to know what model they have as in AT-MAX or AT-MAX International ...... there is a difference.

I use the AT-MAX and can say so far my found gold rings have been in the "Mid Tone" same as our 5-10-20 and 50 coins, silver rings is in the "High Tone" same as our $ coins.

Hi all, I did a benchtest today with the Max, here are the results.

At Max target id's benchtest
1c - 80 high
2c - 80-84 high
5c - 48 mid
10c - 53 high
20c - 61-62 high
50c - 65 high
$1 - 76 high
$2 - 75-76 high

1910-1944 threepence - 79-80 high
1947-1964 threepence - 62 high
1910-1945 sixpence - 82 high