You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Roscoe
10 September 2017 05:53 pm

RUSH, when the pitch of signal is changed now it does not invert signal. I have the updated version with the new facer and buttons. I think pitch change would be good to add it back in the QED some how in the future though, it's a very handy feature to have. smile

mbasko
10 September 2017 06:03 pm

Rush wrote:

A couple of questions I have are in regards to the AGB and menu item No.8 Pitch.

So has the inclusion of the AGB system changed the GB number readings from the previous GB readings before the AGB was added?

In my limited experience from non AGB to having AGB I don't believe the numbers or the actual ground balancing has changed. The biggest advantage of AGB is being able to quickly get close to the correct ground balance number in different areas then manually fine tune it from there yourself (if required). If you're comfortable with manually balancing I don't think there's a real need to get the AGB upgrade. Some will like it & use it - others won't. Good to have the option available though. thumbsup

Rush wrote:

And has the change in the Pitch, from the previous firmware which allowed inversions of the signal response, produced any improvement in the signal response?

I never tried the inverted pitch on the previous version as it reversed other settings & I was having enough trouble + never been a fan of inverted signals myself. I'm running at around the same pitch & due to other factors in my initial set up I can't really say there has been any signal response improvement.

Last edited by mbasko (10 September 2017 06:05 pm)

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

nicko61
10 September 2017 07:47 pm

excuse my ignorance but is this a vlf or a pi machine?

mbasko
10 September 2017 10:36 pm

nicko61 wrote:

excuse my ignorance but is this a vlf or a pi machine?

It's a PI nicko.

Eski
11 September 2017 08:26 am

Sorry guys will post pics when i can see the photos on my phone....

Eski
15 September 2017 08:12 pm

Finally

Piece of gold i found before and after dissolving rock,

1505466674_img_2602.jpg
1505466676_img_2703.jpg
1505466677_img_2753.jpg
1505466679_img_2754.jpg
1505466681_img_2755.jpg

11 users like this post: numpty, grubstake, 7.62marksman, mbasko, petere, Heatho, Chewy, Cando, Rockhunter62, maxwell4, Krisco

Rush
18 September 2017 11:18 am

Eski wrote:

Sorry guys will post pics when i can see the photos on my phone....

Nice pics Eski.

I see you have set the control box to one side to allow easier access to the control buttons using your thumb with the s-bend type hand grip.
I have now had my control box updated with the larger push buttons in a line across the lower half of the front panel below the display screen including the new AGB button. Also the rear panel of the box with the power socket now there instead of the front panel as before.
Yet to give my QED with the software updates a run out on the goldfield so looking forward to that.

Eski
18 September 2017 09:14 pm

Yes mine went back for upgrade also. will remount on it's return...

Cando
19 September 2017 10:57 pm

Well I bit the bullet and bought a qed from Peter at detech.. it arrived in the post with a damage controller ( heavy handed postal workers). Contacted peter and to my suprise he had a new one in the post the same day, express post to me at his cost used. Pretty good service in my eyes.. big thanks to Peter...
Had a quick play with it at Gympie prospecting area on the weekend mostly to get a feel of the set up before heading out to Warwick in a couple of weeks.. with book in hand it took me about 15 minutes to get it to run nice and quiet ..power lines were interference to start out. Adjusting the snr (I think it's called) down 91and got rid of the interference.. I just followed the setup procedure in the manual in the order it's written.. it was running nice and quiet and I managed to find two .22 size bullets and some Rusty barbed wire.. I was happy with that as I really wasn't expecting to find much but junk... have a chat to a coupler of other people having a crack.. all in all a very pleasing day.

Last edited by Cando (19 September 2017 10:59 pm)

Thanks
Noel

1 user likes this post: mbasko

Ridge Runner
26 September 2017 11:10 pm

There is some Awesome QED Gold being posted over on D/P,

The QED is really proving to be the real deal, and from a machine that seems quite understated it is just plodding along doing it's thing and taking it all in it's stride, Now that Is Impressive.

J.

Last edited by Ridge Runner (26 September 2017 11:36 pm)

davent
27 September 2017 02:02 am

Is that the real Ridge Runner?

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, Tathradj

Ridge Runner
27 September 2017 02:18 am

Lol, cheeky Bugga,, lol lol lol lol lol lol

Seriously though, I don't know if they used the earlier model or the one with the updates but it is certainly doing the deed and in a big way.

J.

AEGPF
27 September 2017 03:45 pm

Ridge Runner wrote:

Lol, cheeky Bugga,, lol lol lol lol lol lol

Seriously though, I don't know if they used the earlier model or the one with the updates but it is certainly doing the deed and in a big way.

J.

It was with the earlier model QED before any updates.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Krisco
27 October 2017 10:01 pm

Just got back the QED from its upgrades and auto GB. Wow! what a huge difference! Its a diff machine now. Lots more quiet and handles the ground so much better that I can boost the gain and bias. Been out for only 6 hours with it and the results speak for themselves. Im just using it as a SDC killer with the 12x4 AI. Sad thing is, the Missus says I prob have to sell it next week to get our car back on the road 1509101920_wp_20171027_18_54_01_pro1.jpg

8 users like this post: Reg Wilson, Rush, 7.62marksman, Cando, Ridge Runner, mbasko, Dolphin, B5MECH

Rush
29 October 2017 03:43 pm

Well done Krisco and definitely nuggets from within SDC territory.
I gather your Bias would have had to be set in the low 42 to 44 range to get the type of sensitivity on those tiny nuggets.
I would think a Bias around the 50 mark and the Gain wound up would not achieve your result even with that small figure 8 wound coil.
However you could prove me wrong.

1 user likes this post: Krisco

Ridge Runner
29 October 2017 07:19 pm

This machine is putting the fun back in to detecting without major investment, Great work Guys. thumbsup

Cando
30 October 2017 09:27 am

Well done mate. wow that's nice small Gold.. sell the gold keep the detector... tell her you'll have to go out more often to fine more gold to pay for the car big_smile
I know how that feels mate,having to sell something your love to keep yourself afloat.. thumbsup

Last edited by Cando (30 October 2017 09:31 am)

Thanks
Noel

davent
30 October 2017 04:05 pm

Well I sold my 4500, so will stick with the QED, I guess that's one way to get the best you can out of it, don't have the option to use anything else!
I have kept my favorite coils for it to, 8" commander, 12" evo and 20" advantage.....here's to next dry season!

4 users like this post: Dolphin, petere, mbasko, Tathradj

Krisco
31 October 2017 12:13 am

Rush wrote:

Well done Krisco and definitely nuggets from within SDC territory.
I gather your Bias would have had to be set in the low 42 to 44 range to get the type of sensitivity on those tiny nuggets.
I would think a Bias around the 50 mark and the Gain wound up would not achieve your result even with that small figure 8 wound coil.
However you could prove me wrong.

Hey Rush, Ive experimented with Bias of 44-46 in mode 1 and gain up to 5 before it starts to get too noisy. Tiniest bit was .02gm, but got quite a few around .05gm. Biggest one there is .5gm. That AI coil is the most sensitive one Ive ever used. Even on the F1A4, it pings .05gm bits.

Rush
31 October 2017 02:36 pm

Good thanks Krisco.
The most sensitive coil I have for the QED is a commander 8” mono although when I pass a 0.02gm piece over this coil with the Bias set either 44 or 46 in Mode 1 and Gain up at 5 than I am unable to receive a response although using 0.05gm piece I can from 1” to 2” depending on the size of its surface area. The test nugget I carry with me is a round 0.20gm piece which I use to check for the best setting which I get a clear response on at 3" using your settings.

mbasko
31 October 2017 03:37 pm

Anyone using or tried to use the SteelPhase enhancer or other type amp/booster/enhancer such as the B&Z with the QED?

Reg Wilson
13 November 2017 11:25 pm

Krisco, what can you tell me about that coil. Availability? Price? Where?

Walmer Central Victoria
Began detecting 1979 Best colour 3Kgs Best patch 340 ozs.

mbasko
14 November 2017 10:33 am

Check out PM (Pulse Mate) Coils Reg. Out of business now but can still find them on eBay cheaply.
The coil Krisco uses is the Nuggeteer A1 12x4. They did have a few different sized coils but reports were mixed.

Rush
16 November 2017 12:38 pm

Rush wrote:

Yet to give my QED with the software updates a run out on the goldfield so looking forward to that.

Finally found enough time to give my QED a test run after its update on the same ground I detected previously on the goldfield before the update.

I was impressed I could now raise the gain setting above 1 up to 5 on that same ground that would not allow a gain above 1 previously. Even in its lowest bias and mode settings the detector was still able to maintain that raised gain setting and operate quieter than before.

The new front panel configuration with the large push buttons made it much easier to adjust settings.
Having the power plug re-positioned from the front panel to the rear panel, the same side as the coil plug is good.
The new AGB button and system operated as the user manual says it is to be used for.

Another difference after the update with my QED was the GB figure that is displayed once it was GB'd is now a lower number than what was previously displayed on this same hot ground with my 8" coil. Not sure why that is maybe due to different components especially now that the bias does not now drift as it did previously due to temperature.

Also I was able to easily knock out a ground signal response by shifting the GB figure 4 numbers either up or down depending on whether the signal response was rising or falling although I did dig to confirm.

With the separate Battery compartment attached under the armrest containing 12 AA NiMh batteries the detector was nicely balanced with my Commander 8" mono coil. And with the Orion IQ801 wall plug charger to charge the 12 AA NiMH batteries while still inside the battery compartment the recharge time after the QED had shut down at 6 volts was now 2.75 hours compared to 13 to 14 hours using my Power Tech charger with its separate 10 compartments. Although after 7 recharge cycles or so using the Orion charger I will use the Power Tech charger to individually recharge each AA NiMH battery due to variations that can occur while charging each battery in series with the Orion.

After the update the QED is now more user friendly and balanced for my wife to use also especially with it running smoother than before.

Last edited by Rush (16 November 2017 12:41 pm)

1 user likes this post: grubstake

AEGPF
Yesterday 10:14 am

Rush wrote:
Rush wrote:

Finally found enough time to give my QED a test run after its update on the same ground I detected previously on the goldfield before the update.

I was impressed I could now raise the gain setting above 1 up to 5 on that same ground that would not allow a gain above 1 previously. Even in its lowest bias and mode settings the detector was still able to maintain that raised gain setting and operate quieter than before.

The new front panel configuration with the large push buttons made it much easier to adjust settings.
Having the power plug re-positioned from the front panel to the rear panel, the same side as the coil plug is good.
The new AGB button and system operated as the user manual says it is to be used for.

Another difference after the update with my QED was the GB figure that is displayed once it was GB'd is now a lower number than what was previously displayed on this same hot ground with my 8" coil. Not sure why that is maybe due to different components especially now that the bias does not now drift as it did previously due to temperature.

Also I was able to easily knock out a ground signal response by shifting the GB figure 4 numbers either up or down depending on whether the signal response was rising or falling although I did dig to confirm.

With the separate Battery compartment attached under the armrest containing 12 AA NiMh batteries the detector was nicely balanced with my Commander 8" mono coil. And with the Orion IQ801 wall plug charger to charge the 12 AA NiMH batteries while still inside the battery compartment the recharge time after the QED had shut down at 6 volts was now 2.75 hours compared to 13 to 14 hours using my Power Tech charger with its separate 10 compartments. Although after 7 recharge cycles or so using the Orion charger I will use the Power Tech charger to individually recharge each AA NiMH battery due to variations that can occur while charging each battery in series with the Orion.

After the update the QED is now more user friendly and balanced for my wife to use also especially with it running smoother than before.

Thanks for your update.Its good to get feedback on how the QED updates are going.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site