Gold Crevicing Tools information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunnings small plasterers trowl small $13.95
1453476886_image.jpg

LD. said:
thedigger said:
Aldi had some real top garden tool for crevicing,they come back from time to time.

Regards Frank

Yes!

They had these a week or two ago for a few bucks each. 2nd from left caught my eye, really strong heavy construction and stainless steel, 3 of 90 degree prongs with nice pointed tips, cut 2 outside prongs off & it would be excellent for getting into tight spots

Crappy photo sorry but all I could find. You may check Ben, could be some left over.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2496/1453468409_image.jpg

Yeah I've seen blokes use the one on the far left for scraping the crevice.

Here are some of mine.

ZfnQSl5.jpg

Plus I have one I got off a guy on the forum when I find it I'll take a pic for you.

Apparently there is a member on here that makes crevicing tool sets (x3) and will make them at a cost. Does anyone know who that member is so that I can order a set?

"Howdy Transmission, if your in Bendigo head out to Mayfair Park industrial estate, Dean at 'dd leather' stocks a range of high bankers and sluices made by ryan27 and some other brands, cool"

from dwt on another topic, but maybe 'dd leather' may know how to get hold of ryan27. They can be found via google.

Hey guys,

A couple of times now I have found a crevice that is quite narrow- too narrow for my favourite little digging tool (a 3 pronged garden tool with the outside prongs cut off), and yet I see gold in the crevice - I even picked a small bit out.

To make matters worse, often there is some water in there, which I assuming is washing that gold off the sides and it would quickly sink to the clay/mud bottom.

Assuming one is unable to break open the crevice (Id prefer not to - I want the crevicing filling up with gold for next time!), what tools / techniques do you guys use for getting that slurry out of there?

Cheers,
Mike

Hard to say without a pic, but I would try and fill it with water and suck up the contents with a yabby pump.
You can make adaptors to fit over the end to get in small spots.
Maybe you could bust it open just a bit. If it's only a little crevice you could even try a snuffer bottle.
Use the search function for crevicing tools, there are plenty of ideas out there.

Doesn't look like he makes these anymore but you could make something like it yourself.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14338

more links at the bottom of this page too
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15874

That one that ryan27 makes is bloody brilliant, the best thing is if you copycat it you can make it much longer to suit your needs, but the scoop part is what makes it.

Two Toes makes one out of a wiper blade, very strong and a little springy

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ2Vzwr9IRo[/video]

Wandering around Bunnings or even Aldi sometimes surprises you what you can find. There are no rules, whatever works!

The one on the left is handy, a bit of flat bar can even get in and dig a crevice out, the tool on the right was something I found in the shed, dunno what it is but gets into a crevice! and has a bladed end for opening up really tight ones

1510525034_tools.jpg

Something cheap (and maybe nasty) I just saw on eBay, could prob add a 60cm or so nozzle to it and turn it into a crevice sucker without much fuss, just not sure of the internals of it? Might clog a little but not bad for $7 But if you are seeing actual pickers sitting just out of reach I'm sure this would suck them up.

1510556576_transfer.jpg

Nice - thanks all.

I was thinking about getting one of those plastic water spray containers (the ones that have the hand pump on top of it to put compressed air into it), but reverse the valve and pump so that I can suck air out of the container. Once I have generated a sufficient vacuum I would then dangle the partially disassembled spray nossle into the crevice to suck up the water, grit and gold. Not sure if itll work yet....

Latest posts