Headphones or Speaker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using the Havi B3 earbuds, the ones advertised on fleabay that are 45 ohms.
I have been really impressed with the sound & very comfy!

I only use the speaker when showing a target to my detecting buddies or if I want to film a dig (after I locate with the headphones)

Mrs M uses the Sunray Gold headphones on the SDC. They give a fantastic signal on the 4500 if I can get my hands on them but I find them too tight on my head for anything but a short stint. When I get home I'll be looking for something similar but more comfortable for me.

LOL, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Spend 5 or 6K or even 10K+ on a detector yet a set of headphones that cost 200 bucks +/- are called Too expensive, and spending hundreds on speakers and boosters is ok, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, The Phones Moneybox's Mrs uses and the Grey Ghosts and the Nugget Busters really do help hear those faint signals, Normal Audio headphones Colour the sound too much where faint signals all but vanish, Yet plug in GG's or NB's in to a Stereo and they sound Crap, Plug em in to a Detector and you will hear all there is to hear. The 30-30's colour the sound as they lower the tone etc and sounds blend in to each other,

When listening to the Threshold I can hear things at about 8" to 12"+ further than when using speakers Some times a lot more, I tried other brands and they fall short,

Ridge Runner said:
LOL, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Spend 5 or 6K or even 10K+ on a detector yet a set of headphones that cost 200 bucks +/- are called Too expensive, and spending hundreds on speakers and boosters is ok, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, The Phones Moneybox's Mrs uses and the Grey Ghosts and the Nugget Busters really do help hear those faint signals, Normal Audio headphones Colour the sound too much where faint signals all but vanish, Yet plug in GG's or NB's in to a Stereo and they sound Crap, Plug em in to a Detector and you will hear all there is to hear. The 30-30's colour the sound as they lower the tone etc and sounds blend in to each other,

When listening to the Threshold I can hear things at about 8" to 12"+ further than when using speakers Some times a lot more, I tried other brands and they fall short,

I've got a mate that uses Sennheiser's, not sure which model but not many nuggets get past him, some at very surprisintg depth too.

It all depends on sensitivity (Mw/DBspl) and the frequency response. Some headphones will give a little eq bump right where the detectors fundamental audio frequency is also. These are the types of headphones you are looking for. Have a look at the detectors audio output frequency then look at the frequency reponse chart and if there is a little bump where the output audio freq is and they are sensitive then they should be decent for detecting.

Sunray, Grey Ghost, Gogg all accentuate a detectors frequency output slightly and have a cutoff of around 3khz which is why they sound like crap for music. These are made for detecting, just because they are made for detecting does not make other music headphones useless. These are good brands though and may save trial and error with others.

The Koss don't lower the tone at all, they just aren't very clear and sound a bit muffled compared to say Gogg's.

I don't like the Koss either but there are plenty of different music headphones that will work great for detecting.

Heatho said:
I've got a mate that uses Sennheiser's, not sure which model but not many nuggets get past him, some at very surprisintg depth too.
They are Sennheiser HD280 PRO headphones. I'm not sure that I'm quite as tuned in with them as our mate is Heatho but they are good, comfortable phones.
A lot of headphones, earbuds etc. can be just as much about comfort as anything else. No good having the best sounding ones if they start irritating you after a couple of hours. That can be an unwanted distraction. You do need good sound for sure but personal comfort is very important too.
I used to use a speaker only & still did ok with it. Started using headphones again maybe 18 months ago & would only use a speaker now if I had someone with me so they could hear to or if very hot in an isolated area. It's surprising how far a speaker can carry in the bush & I never really realised how annoying they can be for others nearby. Being able to hear someone elses target signals can be a distraction too when with a group.
IMO there have been some deeper, faint signals that turned out to be gold that I'm just not sure would have stopped me over the speaker although I did get a lot of small gold with the SDC using speaker & amp only. I guess I just feel better with the headphones on now & having the sound more direct to the ear with the bonus of not alerting or annoying anyone nearby.

Everybody's hearing is different, our comfort levels differ, our tolerance levels differ.

No matter how flash and expensive your head phone are, if fatigue and discomfort sets in from having sound right in your ear holes or a sweaty set squeezing your head you'll not enjoy what you're doing and miss gold.

If that is the case, speakers might be best for you.

A good booster, a set of duel speakers mounted high on your shoulders under a broad brimmed hat will rival the best headphones. You'll still miss gold, we all do.

Has anyone tried any form of wireless headphones? The main ones would be Bluetooth but there are a few using other protocols. My main concern is that the radio transmissions of the headphones may desensitise the front end of the detector receiver and it would be difficult to measure that or even realise it was happening.

I still believe that the best Phones are the ones made solely for detecting that are tuned to the frequencies that are put out by detectors, Audio pones are more comfortable on the ears regarding fit,

What ever a person chooses as long as it matches the detector or enhances the faint signals then that's all you can ask for, Any headphone will transmit a bleep but they are not the deep signals that are hard to hear, It's the slightest waver in the threshold are the import signals because that is where the deep ones live,

People ask about getting more depth and the only way to achieve that is to maximize every thing the Audio has to give, Running a VLF in All Metal or running a PI with the faintest of thresholds and a good set of phones is where the secrete lies.

J.

Well, now I'm converted to ear buds for the warmer months.

On Thursday I was hot, stressed and sweating using the headphones for only 2 hrs but yesterday I detected at Wedderburn for 6 hrs straight i hot humid conditions but used my iPod ear buds, so much better in the heat and I could wear a hat.
Threshold and targets were no problem and I nailed my first lil nug at .15g using the 14x9 evo so earbuds for me going forward until Winter and my ears are cold.

Heatho said:

It all depends on sensitivity (Mw/DBspl) and the frequency response. Some headphones will give a little eq bump right where the detectors fundamental audio frequency is also. These are the types of headphones you are looking for. Have a look at the detectors audio output frequency then look at the frequency reponse chart and if there is a little bump where the output audio freq is and they are sensitive then they should be decent for detecting.

Sunray, Grey Ghost, Gogg all accentuate a detectors frequency output slightly and have a cutoff of around 3khz which is why they sound like crap for music. These are made for detecting, just because they are made for detecting does not make other music headphones useless. These are good brands though and may save trial and error with others.

The Koss don't lower the tone at all, they just aren't very clear and sound a bit muffled compared to say Gogg's.

I don't like the Koss either but there are plenty of different music headphones that will work great for detecting.

If you plug the 30-30's in to a VLF like the Musketeer Advantage or the Sovereign GT or the MXT you will here that the Tone is lower from them and more muffled compared to the Grey Ghosts, Another thing with the 30-30's plugged in to a Musketeer is if the target is within 4 or 5 inches deep the 30-30's will overload and distort where the grey Ghosts have a built in noise limiter to protect your hearing,

White's now sell headphone made by the same people but they are Black in colour and come with a fixed lead and a lifetime Guarantee and they have fine Click stepped volume knobs but they are about the same price as the fixed lead Grey Ghosts, but I think I prefer the ( Green ) Nugget Busters out of all of them although the Grey Ghosts have saved my ears once or twice.

The good thing about the GG's and the NB's is they they can come with replacement leads and you can order them with either 1/8th or 1/4" leads because they come with two leads or you can order them with one of each size just in case you have machines that use different sized leads.

>Is my drugs or did some posts go south ?

At least two; one from a moderator telling RR to pull his head in and another from RR saying he knew his stuff.

I *do* wish posts would not simply be "disappeared" from a forum, it is very confusing to readers and hides the level of moderation present.

If you *really must* erase the post then delete the contents leaving a note who did it and why - that way everything is in the open, not hidden away.

Lots of good info I currently use underichin earbud headphones but I am thinking of trying out the speaker system up on the shoulder has anyone used the treasure mate v.3 audio speaker made by vkteksolutions looks like a nice unit to mount onto the top of your harness and run with maybe it has been covered in a different topic but I can't locate it

Latest posts