You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

ProspectorPete
03 November 2017 03:12 pm

jakal wrote:

Also it was giving a lot of quiet signals which didn't register an id number. I didn't dig those as I thought it may be the falsing issues I get down at the beach. Then again............

Hi jakal, it's the quiet or faint signals you want to investigate, could well be a deep target just on the verge of detection.
Best thing to do when you get a faint signal is scrape and inch or so off the top and see if the signal get stronger, a target will get louder and falsing or ground noise will most likely dissipate.

GPX 4500 NF Evo sP01, Makro GR.

Goldpick
03 November 2017 08:06 pm

A lot of those quiet signals with no ID may well be coins out of effective detection range. If I were targetting coins say in front of an eroded sand hill, I would be digging all repeatable deep tones, even if they have degraded to an iron type grunt. Tones will always win out over the ID on any VLF when trying to hit coins at depth, you just have to make a judgement call when progressing to wet sand on whether the majority of tones are simply falsing (none repeatable one way tones), and just concentrate on the more obvious repeatable tones.

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, XP MI-6, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
04 November 2017 09:33 am

Could also switch to one of the Gen modes for a listen, or even easier just scrape the sand with your foot to get the coil a couple inches closer to the target.

Agent for Minelab, Nokta, NuggetFinder, Makro, Detech, Deteknix/Quest - Phase Technical Website

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
07 November 2017 11:31 pm

Had a bit of a beach hunt today with the Impact using the 9x5.5" coil.

On dry sand, I could run DI3, Sensitivity about 78, and it ran great.

On wet sand, I ground balanced in COG mode, and could have Sensitivity in the low 70s with zero falsing unless I bumped the coil on the sand. This is obviously hard to avoid, so I dropped Sens to 67.

I buried a $2 coil to the depth of my small trowel maybe 13cm or so, in real wet grey sticky sand and it was pinging it with ease. I tried different modes, and the two best modes were DI4 and VLX2. This was a very quick test as the wind was howling and I was getting sand in my eyes and everywhere else, so I called it a day before I could hunt in these modes. As I walked back up the beach I flicked into Gen mode, and it was quite stable.

Agent for Minelab, Nokta, NuggetFinder, Makro, Detech, Deteknix/Quest - Phase Technical Website

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

oldtimerROB
10 November 2017 09:20 am

Due to the cold weather in early November we decided not to detect SA,s beaches but instead go up to Wedderburn for 5 days.Encountered consistently higher mineralised ground than I did iat Dunolly/Havelock. GB,s-80 and near max. mineralisation on the meter-about 80/90 in the worked areas.My favorite DEEP mode(which worked well at Dunolly/Inkerman) was too sluggish to use so I reverted to GEN mode for 3 days and found nothing but small bits of chocolate foil.
On the last day I tested all the modes and found DI3 at 20 Khz.gave the strongest clearest signal on a 1 gram specimen I had buried 3 inches deep.GEN and GEN D were not as loud/clear,VLX 2 gave a simultaneously grunt/high tone signal.There was only one patch about 5 m square in area where the ground was so hot none of the modes could GB so I used the COG mode which GB,d first time round.GOG mode is the least deep of all the modes but at least should give a chance to detect for larger nuggets where a lot of detectors have trouble.
Just before we left I got a good signal in DI3 with an ID number but dug down a few inches only to find a tiny bit of choc. foil. I struck a seam of dark red rock with bright yellow streaks which did not give a signal.
I think detecting on dry sand would be a breeze after all the testing I have done in the GT over the last 5 months.However due to the cold overnight temperatures we could not camp on the diggings much and I only got in about 40 hours of detecting.

Ginger Beers got us out of the Candle Age

oldtimerROB
12 November 2017 07:59 am

I buried a piece of alum foil 1.5 inches diameter 8 inches down in a surfaced gully in red clay,and was was getting a good signal one foot above it.Thats a total of 1 foot 8 inches.That was in DEEP mode at 20 Khz.14 Khz would go slightly deeper on anything except gold.
I have learnt a lot of those quiet signals are false even in GEN mode and nowadays I would not bother digging them up unless I have a good stable ID number.This is due to my bad back,but I would recommend anyone fit enough to dig them up.

Last edited by oldtimerROB (12 November 2017 08:11 am)

oldtimerROB
12 November 2017 09:12 am

Thats one foot above the ground.Don't forget to check the weak signals again by scraping away 1 to 2 inches of to soil first.With the Impact there is a proper method of eliminating false signals as given in the manual.First reduce sensitivity.If this does not help then also increase discrimination.If this still does not help then bring sensitivity and disc. to their former values and increase iSAT.And so on.

Last edited by oldtimerROB (12 November 2017 09:21 am)

oldtimerROB
12 November 2017 10:46 am

Maldon Gold Centre.I used to live in Templeton Street near the Centre but had to travel into Castlemaine a lot.As the Impact has everything you could wish for, it also takes more time to get to know all its possibilities.We would like to know your favorite mode for prospecting for larger gold when you try out the Impact a bit more.

Ridge Runner
12 November 2017 01:56 pm

oldtimerROB wrote:

Maldon Gold Centre.I used to live in Templeton Street near the Centre but had to travel into Castlemaine a lot.As the Impact has everything you could wish for, it also takes more time to get to know all its possibilities.We would like to know your favorite mode for prospecting for larger gold when you try out the Impact a bit more.

This thread is about the Impact Beach Settings, Not using it in the GT, Or maybe I misread the Title.

1 user likes this post: ProspectorPete

oldtimerROB
Today 04:26 pm

What did you do RR besides trolling the forum?

Ridge Runner
Today 06:12 pm

oldtimerROB wrote:

What did you do RR besides trolling the forum?

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black,

Why do you Hi Jack every thread to talk about how well your impact works in the GT, Even to the point of making wild claims comparing it to well proven machines,

No one gives a rats about your GT settings and the OP wants to know about setting it up for the Beach, So if you have no useful info relating to that then maybe you should just sit back and enjoy the info from those who can help. Or start your own thread because that would be far more useful.

1 user likes this post: ProspectorPete

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site