'Sluice and a half'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno what the pump was Chris as it burned out and I tossed the sucker.
I found 12v stuff fades really quick and you need to carry too much.
The small 4 strokes only just have enough grunt to run 10 inch dream matt, they need to be run almost full throttle.
If you have the luxury of having a vehicle close by a bigger 6hp or so is the ticket.
You need a fair bit of water to make them run ok.

Yeah tell me about it. Mine was not self cleaning well with my thornado 1.5" pump.

Had to slow my feed rate down to compensate.

Got onto Dustin from Gold Rat and he reckons I need a bigger pump 14-15000 lph instead of the 12000 lph mine puts out.

Which sucks as the pumps only been used 4 times.

I grabbed the 12" sluice and yeah stuffed around a bit at first trying to work out the right water flow, it really needs plenty of water, once you get it right though, you never look back. I'll be grabbing the matching 12" banker asap. I have dream mat in a GS21, was lucky as some of the sluices can vary in width, the 10" slipped right in without any need to trim. I have set the sluice up as an extension if I'm trying to really push the buckets through. Dump n' run knowing I'm not losing any colour.

Yeah I remember looking at some of the smaller pumps that only weighed in around 6-9kgs, they are so portable but they run at really high revs to get optimum water flow and a few hours of that would send me to the funny farm, plus they let everyone in the area know where you are hehe.

I opted for a 2" 8hp semi-trash pump. I have ball valve and reducer at the pump, then 1.5" lay flat to 1.5" suction then into the banker it seems to do a decent job, only have to throttle it to about 30%. Problem is it's heavy, and I feel old come pack up time hehe.

I grabbed one of those trolleys the other day after being inspired by DIY stuff here, so will rig it to carry all my gear.

Yeah the weight and noise has got me thinking seriously about a Honda.

Just have to offload mine first to pay for it lol

maybe run two, one for side bars and one for the back bar, then you don't need to run one at full throttle.
Maybe borrow another one similar to test it out.
Where are you based mate?

Shane89 said:

Hey mate if you go through my old posts you will come across my mods on the spray bars , they are only poly irrigation risers so their cheap and you can muck around with lots of designs . The secrete is to get rid of the dumb bolts that go through them by welding rings that fit over the risers to the bolts and this way you can swap risers during the day .
My other tip is drilling the holes at 45 degree angles so they force the water back up the sluice instead of across it . You can have 3 rows of holes ie. Down , across and inbetween all at 45 deg. Lots of smaller holes is better for clay than big holes .
As for the pump flow setup , you could step up to a bigger pump but the weight is a setback or use the pump you all ready have and suplement flow with a bilgde pump .

Any links mate? Did a search but must not be putting in the right words.

Thanks,
Shane

Yeah i looked to and theres not much , theres only a coupla pics that show the bands i made .

So heres how

Pull your spray bars off ,
buy half a dozen risers the same,
Find some thin walled pipe thats a neat fit over your spray bars,
Cut pipe into 4 pieces of 1/2 inch,
Weld these to some short bolts,
Attach them to sluice, the original holes should be usable,
Slide the risers through them and screw into elbows.

Now to mod the risers
start with a drill bit the same size as original ,
Mark the same holes,
Drill them with a 45 degree angle,
Continue to add holes and try different paterns of holes and angles until you get a set of spray bars that you love ,
I actually have two sets i swap for different material , a small holed set to blast clay and a larger holed set for sandier areas , its as simple as the more holes you have the smaller the holes need to be.

When i get time i get some pics up , but might take a while , i am as busy as a one armed brick layer in bagdad at the moment.

So no new photos but here it is , looks like my bands are an inch wide and the key to them is i can turn them to direct spray or unscrew them in the feild to swap bars in about 5 minutes
1510302239_img_20170322_180654_528.jpg
1510302266_img_20170322_180654_5282.jpg

This my favorite spray patern 2/3rds of the holes are at 45 deg and it just blasts and boils clay down to nothing and clean my finger nails in seconds :D

1510302293_img_20170331_163451_051.jpg

Would get more action pics but some bunch of grass eaters reckon we cant use them anymore in nsw :mad:

I say go hard , theres only so much grass that they can eat and only so many trees to hug until things backfire on em . Preferably a big backfire with lots of smoke fire and brimstone(whatever that is but sounds good) :)