Action Thread about HighBanking in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did something similar when living in high country Victoria years ago. Rang poly along an old miners race to move water to a hydraulic ram to pump water to our tank for the house. Hard yakka.

Basically speaking,
A wind driven pump is not a device driven by a motor.
Running a long pipe could be screwed around to be dredging.
That has been done before and is classified as illegal.

try re-sending an email to
[email protected]
We apologize for the cards taking so long.

reefer said:
Not as silly as it first seems Doug.. :D .but even that would be 'mechanical' would it not?...what about a bucket parade ]:D ....
We just GOTTA' win this one!!... :mad: :mad: . makes me really pee'd off!

Just off topic slightly Doug ]:D I cannot get a confirmation of my NAPFA PAYMENT and receipt thereof!!...could you intercede on my behalf(when it is convenient)..I have enquired by email..given the appropriate details..alas to no avail!, :p ]:D ]:D Rossco :cool:
I feel naked without my CURRENT MEMBERSHIP CARD! :cool: HEHE! ]:D

Ok mate,,,I will send another.... :Y: .....8 more sleeps, and I'm Westbound and Roll'in. :Y: :Y: ]:D

So a siphon to thr banker with a venturi head on the intake to increase flow would be all good? And a float to keep it off the bottom so it isnt dredging?
Sorry if this had been addressed already.
Surely a venturi cant be considered mechanical
Cheers all.

Which one is their reasoning for the ban.

1. A high banker with a pump MAY allow a person to process more than the lawful amount of material

2. A pump MAY be used for dredging .

3.Both the above .

If i was to use a pump to fill up a new unit i have designed and then operate the unit manually... there is no pump connected to it and there will be no mechanical water feed doing any proccessing ... so why the hell cant i use a pump ?
Are they going to ban firepumps and irragation pumps on the OF chance it could be used for something else?
A cigerette lighter COULD be used to start a fire , a firearm COULD be used to kill native animals , a fishing lure COULD allow you to catch more than the legal bag limit ...a car COULD be used to exceed the speed limit .

How can this rubbish be lawful , banning something INCASE someone breaks the law even though they are not. :mad:

By the way has NAPFA approached businesses in places like Tuena and Windeyer to inquire about any noticeable downturn in visitors etc and any effect on their bottom line.

Yep, I'd guess that Tuena has seen a significant down turn, too.

A month or so ago the local federal member Angus Taylor did a village tour of the electorate. At Tuena he got a number of pointed questions about the pump ban, even though it is not a federal matter.

We imported a Gold Hog this year. Very impressed and can recommend. They find lots of fine gold (and big stuff). We have used the pipe mechanism for other purposes, but on the Hog we run a 15,000 ltr an hour submersible pump from Bunnings via our generator in the ute which keeps the fridges cold and charges the batteries. Double whammy. Doc from Gold Hog makes some excellent movies and explains everything pretty clearly.We're looking for more places in north Queensland where it can be used.

I've been busy in the shed building a steam engine and restoring a double-action piston water pump.

Talon said:
We imported a Gold Hog this year. Very impressed and can recommend. They find lots of fine gold (and big stuff). We have used the pipe mechanism for other purposes, but on the Hog we run a 15,000 ltr an hour submersible pump from Bunnings via our generator in the ute which keeps the fridges cold and charges the batteries. Double whammy. Doc from Gold Hog makes some excellent movies and explains everything pretty clearly.We're looking for more places in north Queensland where it can be used.

I've been busy in the shed building a steam engine and restoring a double-action piston water pump.

I wasn't advertising the merits of Gold Hog products, I do have some of their mats but these days I look closer to home for Aussie made gear.

The post was to demonstrate gravity fed water system using multiple drainage pipes. It was discussed earlier in this topic as a get around for petrol and battery-powered pumps in NSW. Mostly out of curiosity and jest really as it's not very practical (I'll tether 36 metres of 6" pipe under Coles Bridge, Turondale, then another 36m at Red Hill or Palmers Oaky Rd crossing?....don't pinch em ok?)

I have little doubt that if Ranger Smith saw a highbanker being fed this way he would still argue turbidity and also mechanical advantage, highbankers simply allow too much material to be processed (if chosen) when the law states "the disturbance of more than 1 cubic metre of any soil, rock or other material during any single period of 48 hours". That's not even material processed......

50x20L buckets of material over a weekend is doable if you really had your sights set, a bit backbreaking for one man and I'm sure you would feel it Monday morning, but if it just meant quantity over quality you could do it and even surpass it, especially if you work in pairs.

Plenty of us have run into "less desirables" while out prospecting, plenty that ignore rules on dredging or using machinery to move dirt etc or are quite happy to toss their empties into the river. You can't tell me any of those blokes would stick to the 1 cube rule, they are there for one thing only, as much gold as they can get under the radar in the shortest period of time. It's not about enjoying the hobby or lifestyle, it's just about cash in the pocket.

I have seen it all in this area, and I'm sure others on this forum in the Central West NSW would know there are spots you might as well consider The Wild West. Kanga/Dingo diggas, Dredges and Trommels run 24/7, Shotguns and pig dogs for prying eyes......

If it was just about hobbyist prospectors and petrol driven pumps, fuel spills, noise pollution etc they would have banned the petrol pump and most of us would have just gone "bugger" and converted to purely battery run bilge pumps or submersibles 5 seconds later without flinching.

Now as far as fossicking laws in Qld, I'm guessing you really should have a read up.

Talon, best wishes finding a spot anywhere in Qld to legally use your highbanker. LIke NSW they are illegal to use in Qld as per the Qld Fossicking Act. Having said that, they are know to get some use up here in the Sunshine State :)

Hey guys,

Can one use a high Banker on private property ?
Im guessing one can , as no body should have access to tell you off !

Bought a piece of land on shoalhaven river , and would be devo , if not allowed highbanking !!

Thanks

Gunter

Highbankers by themselves are not illegal per se, it is the 100hp pump you have connected that makes it illegal as you are not allowed to use any power assisted devices.
You just need to find a convenient water race and park your banker under it

Gunter said:
Hey guys,

Can one use a high Banker on private property ?
Im guessing one can , as no body should have access to tell you off !

Bought a piece of land on shoalhaven river , and would be devo , if not allowed highbanking !!

Thanks

Gunter

using pumps to directly feed a highbanker is illegal now in NSW , i cant suggest that the ban on pumps was an act of criminality in itself because you cant sue govt and they do carry grudges ..

which block did you buy ? was it the one south of the ford thats been advertised for a few years with asking price of 600 K ?

councils use high resolution satellite imaging to keep an eye on properties , they can zoom right in to fine detail , they use computer software to notify them if trees get cut down without a permit and i am sure they would notice if a few truck loads of sand get taken off site and sold to the local brickie.

youre allowed to own a highbanker and they cant touch you if you feed it with buckets of water..

Sad news ,

No Heads up . Not the 600 k one . Its 10 km upstream of the bridge , and was only $85k , small 5 acres , but great access to the river !
Thanks Doug . Youre always on top of everything !

Bad news , another rash decision , just like the greyhound ban . A bad few spoil it for all .

Lets hope all the good work Napfa are doing bears some fruit !

Thanks guys

Gunter

the new word introduced into the negotiations on the activity of fossicking which also lacks definitions for interpretation is "no turbidity " , so on one hand we have new fossicking area being declared, but on the other hand another government dept pushing
'no turbidity' if you paddle in the natural waterway and the silt is stirred up then thats turbidity stupid aint it

Latest posts