battery pack for old garrett master hunter.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faz

Reaction score
1510009471_1510009428264-1143335756.jpg
just inherited my pops detector and it is missing the battery pack. Does anyone know anything about this.

Using Pete's link you should be able to find your battery requirements, then head to Jaycar to buy a cheap battery holder to do the job. :Y:

The battery holder has six (6) 9v batteries in it, 2 for circuit 1 and two for circuit 2, plus two spares. They were all plugged in terminals down, not sure if they plug in parallel or in series. That's a lot of batteries and weight, not to mention money as these things chewed through the batteries. I think that was the configuration your machine.

For an early VLF, They punched quite deep on coins.
And did it well.
I never run them flat out as I needed an arsenal of
rechargeable 9 volt battery's. It could chew a set
within 1/2 an hour going full belt. :lol:
I have 2 of them.
One is a "Motor Boat" BFO, Has two
coils in one. Very, Very good on finding black sand
belts and voids in the ground.
The other is the same as that one.

GaryO said:
Wow.. that looks like a 36volt and 9volt input if im seeing it correctly ? .
No wonder they chewed batteries :eek:

Two of the batteries were spare, so no juice flowing. The other four were split into two circuits, two batteries for the search electronics and two batteries for the audio circuit. But if they were 9 volt of 18 volt configuration I'm not sure.

If the picture Marksman posted is in fact the battery compartment... im pretty sure its showing a 36v and 9v feed and zero ports for spares.
Maybe Doug can post a pic of his one to confirm we are talking about the same one.

Bought one in 1979 my first detector . its a garrett deepseeker and is two detectors in one .selectable via a switch on the VLF for searching and TR to discriminate the target. The slide in battery pack uses 2 for audio and 4 for detector circuit . You can google parts but it would be better to go for a more modern machine if you are seriously going out to find gold . If for sentimental reasons by all means restore it . Mine is a sentimental one and I would never sell it as I found my first gold nugget with it in the early eighties a 3 oz one in the golden triangle , good luck with it ..razzle

Whisp is correct - here is a sideview of the battery holder, clearly showing Garrett's labelling:
1510133599_ads.jpg

Two batteries WERE spares and if I remember correctly (it was 35 years ago!), those two compartments didn't have the terminal clip studs fitted, so a pic of the PCB tracks on the bottom of the holder may be misleading if there were no terminals above the tracks in that area.

Previously discussed here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14502

Good input guys , the battery holder shown does say two spares , but is it the one used with the ADS Deepseeker as posted by newbie . I have a brochure listing many different detector types from garrett of this era and mine is identical to the model posted and the battery pack is as previously described ie uses all six 9v batteries .
I still have it and can take and post photos if there is any doubts .Also the TR potentiometer knob has the circular cover plate missing, they have a habit of falling off .
You can see it if you compare both knobs . The batteries dont last long at all . ..razzle

a deep seeker used 6 batteries the a2b and ground hog used 4 batteries but the battery holder had 6 slots for batteries maksmans is a deep seeker holder grubstakes id a ground hog or a2b battery holder :Y:

I love these old detectors and they have some serious power, I have an old White's from 1987 or 1989 and power wise they out grunt any modern VLF and almost all PI's.

I could not believe what I saw when I first powered up that ole beast,

J.

Latest posts